Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2011, 02:47 PM

711 posts, read 1,857,217 times

Advertisements

There are some things it would be nice for Florida to have, or have more of:

competition in the grocery business (Publix, I'm looking at you)
hot salsa (Publix doesn't carry "hot" of any brand)
restaurants that serve spicy hot food (they won't even if you ask)
west coast chains (In-n-Out, Carl's Jr (Hardees sucks), Round Table, Jack in the Box, Del Taco, Weinerschnitzel)
good Mexican restaurants
food trucks
fresh-squeezed juice
amusement parks in SE Florida (strange for a touristy area not to have them)
more than two main N-S freeways
real freeways across central Florida (60 doesn't cut it, I-4 is too far north)
Texas BBQ (a zillion lousy Sonny's, not one Texas BBQ)
Chicago-style pizza (do we really need another NY-style pizza joint)
good bread (I don't know why, but CA has way more variety, and their sourdough is actually sour, unlike the imitation sourdough you get in FL)
warp drive so driving across the state goes faster

Old 06-25-2011, 03:00 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,656,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Florida did out law fresh-squeezed orange juice. That's why the roadside stands on the freeways (the ones with the billboards advertising fresh juice) no longer sell fresh juice. It's all pasteurized. Quite sad, really, the fresh stuff was really good.
Did this happen within the last few days?

Go to any grove that has a retail store and you can get fresh squeezed juice. You may not be able to find someone on the side of the road with a little wooden shack set up but it certainly not outlawed.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:41 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,779,238 times
We have a place in Fort myers that sells it 100% natural, no additives at all. Best stuff i ever tasted.

http://www.sunharvestcitrus.com/

Old 06-25-2011, 03:45 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,389,651 times
Quote:
There are some things it would be nice for Florida to have, or have more of:

competition in the grocery business (Publix, I'm looking at you)
sweetbay?

i know they're not on the east coast of the state, though.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:56 PM

817 posts, read 2,252,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
Yes, you do need the heat in the winter time up north. But when it comes to going outside, you can do something about the cold, like layering up, plus no matter how much you layer, you don't feel like you have to take a shower twice a day. Down here, when you're outside in the heat, you really can't escape it, you can only peel layers off clothing to a certain extent without getting arrested . Again, to each his own. I feel fresher being in the cold, and the deep freeze killing all the bad stuff, and washing it away in the spring thaw, a sense of renewal...over here, mold, pollen, just keep lingering and festering, nowhere to go except to settle or get re-blown all over the place. Again, to each his own...
Do you live in Florida? If so, I'm assuming you moved here from some northern locale. Did you not know that Florida gets really hot and humid for 4-5 months? If so, since you obviously don't like it here....why did you move here?

Those of us who like it here learn to deal with it. You hit the AC in the hot of the day, or do the beach...the pool...etc.

You know what I like about Florida as far as weather?

I NEVER have to wear more than two layers of clothes.

There has never been a January in which I have not been comfortable wearing shorts for at least a few days.

The sky is blue and sunny for most of the winter

There are days in February in which I could go to the beach and get a tan.

For 7-8 months, the weather is awesome. The other 4-5, it's muggy but tolerable.

The bottom line is, you make the best of the place in which you live. Florida is not hard to do that in, unless you are just a negative person, or didn't move here with an open mind.

Old 06-25-2011, 05:30 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,151,675 times
Ah, a factual truthful post for a change. Couldn't agree with you more on each and every point of your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
Do you live in Florida? If so, I'm assuming you moved here from some northern locale. Did you not know that Florida gets really hot and humid for 4-5 months? If so, since you obviously don't like it here....why did you move here?

Those of us who like it here learn to deal with it. You hit the AC in the hot of the day, or do the beach...the pool...etc.

You know what I like about Florida as far as weather?

I NEVER have to wear more than two layers of clothes.

There has never been a January in which I have not been comfortable wearing shorts for at least a few days.

The sky is blue and sunny for most of the winter

There are days in February in which I could go to the beach and get a tan.

For 7-8 months, the weather is awesome. The other 4-5, it's muggy but tolerable.

The bottom line is, you make the best of the place in which you live. Florida is not hard to do that in, unless you are just a negative person, or didn't move here with an open mind.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:23 PM

97 posts, read 231,403 times
Default Post Legitimacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Ah, a factual truthful post for a change. Couldn't agree with you more on each and every point of your post.
hey, what is with all of these false posts anyway? Why do you suppose people hate the real and pure truth? I'd hate to live life fake, wouldnt you? Also, I have not made many posts yet under this name (I moved), but I did in the past when I lived in PA. I have read countless posts in here for awhile though. Can you inform me as to why it often seems like one has to be in some sort of select group of people or else they can get infractions or banned for good for saying the slightest thing that another does not like? When that happens it really gives this site a bad name. Any moderator or poster that ahs the power to do that should be shamed of themselves. I do not even see how a lot of other regular posters can put up with that either. This may not be on topic, but I am perplexed about this. How can that possibly make a moderator feel good? I mean damn, if something like that made me feel good in life, I'd say I have some bigtime 'issues'. Would you or anyone else care to explain or help me with my confusion. By the way, I have been to Spring Hill many times, as well as Pine Island, Bayport, Hernando Beach, and Weeki Wachee. I used to have relatives that lived on Catalina St. in Spring Hill. I love the area too!

Last edited by In Valdosta; 06-25-2011 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: m

Old 06-25-2011, 08:41 PM

Where did you get this incorrect information from?

Quote:
Florida did out law fresh-squeezed orange juice. That's why the roadside stands on the freeways (the ones with the billboards advertising fresh juice) no longer sell fresh juice. It's all pasteurized. Quite sad, really, the fresh stuff was really good.

Old 06-25-2011, 08:44 PM

It does not cease to amaze me about the volume of incorrect and totally off the wall information that gets posted here. Sure must be confusing for people looking for real information to have to sort through the bashers/haters and malcontent posts every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Valdosta View Post
hey, what is with all of these false posts anyway? Why do you suppose people hate the real and pure truth? I'd hate to live life fake, wouldnt you? Also, I have not made many posts yet under this name (I moved), but I did in the past when I lived in PA. I have read countless posts in here for awhile though. Can you inform me as to why it often seems like one has to be in some sort of select group of people or else they can get infractions or banned for good for saying the slightest thing that another does not like? When that happens it really gives this site a bad name. Any moderator or poster that ahs the power to do that should be shamed of themselves. I do not even see how a lot of other regular posters can put up with that either. This may not be on topic, but I am perplexed about this. How can that possibly make a moderator feel good? I mean damn, if something like that made me feel good in life, I'd say I have some bigtime 'issues'. Would you or anyone else care to explain or help me with my confusion. By the way, I have been to Spring Hill many times, as well as Pine Island, Bayport, Hernando Beach, and Weeki Wachee. I used to have relatives that lived on Catalina St. in Spring Hill. I love the area too!

Old 06-25-2011, 09:48 PM

97 posts, read 231,403 times
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
It does not cease to amaze me about the volume of incorrect and totally off the wall information that gets posted here. Sure must be confusing for people looking for real information to have to sort through the bashers/haters and malcontent posts every day.
thanks for your response. I had hoped for a little more insight as to the trends in moderation in here though, because that can be really frustrating. Especially if moderators misinterpret things and feel offended because you are not saying things that they have been exposed to or believe in. Perhaps you are forbidden to speak out against it I don't know. So, how is Spring Hill doing? The last I was there-last year, it seemed to have gone downhill since the early 90s. I seen many over-grown lawns and more run down houses. I used to think those small houses were so cute and served a very good purpose, it just looks so different than from what I recall. Good ol Pine Island is still quite lovely though. I love fishing at Jenkins too. Used to love that swimming hole across the road from the pier at Jenkins but when I was there last year, I was unable to jump in due to the usual wild tattooed youngsters that reign supreme and ruin most things these days. Have a good day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida