Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2011, 08:38 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,844,231 times

Advertisements

I mean, think of it -- other than for reasons of a job transfer, why else would you be moving to FL in the first place? If you loved the state where you came from, with all it's good points and bad points, wouldnt you just stay? Common sense. You came to FL because it's different. Embrace it!

Old 06-25-2011, 09:00 AM

817 posts, read 2,253,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
I've lived down here in Orlando for at least 13 years, coming from Chicago. I see what you're saying, but the argument about "corrupt" politicians I don't really buy. Despite the corruption and higher taxes up north, you are actually seeing progress being made either on the tollways, schools, or somewhere in the infrastructure.

There is some truth to how it's taking forever for some of the infrastructure improvement to be completed, and some to even start, around here. Just look around the major roads and highways. The laws and everything else, may seem very restrictive in IL, but I see a little bit more peaceful living up there because if it. People down here seem they get free will to anything. Just look at some of the stuff people are allowed to do to pile on their vehicles and back of their pickup trucks, stacked high and just tied loosely with what looks like kite string, posing a road hazard to everybody should something fall off, particularly on the highway. Up north, such a thing won't be allowed to go a few miles until a state trooper sees it, cites it, and takes it off the road.

I will say things are improving down here in FL, but it has taken very long. I'm sure it will get better, but after 13 years, I've waited it out too long.
So you're saying that because one in a thousand people will carry something in their car the "wrong" way in Florida, that Illinois is a better place to live?

This thread has officially jumped the shark.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:33 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,844,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Close enough. Of course COL there was high.

So because I don't like Florida, I'm a pessimist? Awesome. I'll keep that in mind while I enjoy living up north. Of course *every* city in America has sprawl... but it is the percentage of sprawl that really matters. When nearly an entire city is sprawl, it is character/soul-less. I'd be hard-pressed to find any city in Florida that has a neighborhood like the Highlands, for example.

Aside from Churchill Downs, there is the Louisville Slugger Factor/Museum, the Muhammad Ali Center, the Waterfront/bridges, the Olmstead Parks System, the Highlands, a billion different types of restaurants that landed Louisville on the top 10 list for most foodiest cities in America, many hiking opportunities.... etc. All of this isn't even including all of the festivals/fairs highlighted by the Derbyfest (which starts off with Thunder over Louisville... the largest fireworks display in the world), the St James Artsfest, etc. etc.
I lived in Louisville (J'town) for 6 months, and frankly, IMO, it was a complete dump.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:45 AM

910 posts, read 2,334,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin from Tampa View Post
So you're saying that because one in a thousand people will carry something in their car the "wrong" way in Florida, that Illinois is a better place to live?

This thread has officially jumped the shark.
I was giving ONE example of many things, too numerous to list here. Like I said, please go back to my threads and review them if you'd like, I'm TOOO tired to repeat them here. I agree this thread has jumped the shark, but I guess there are people willing to keep it going to defend it In the meantime, thank you to all those who've increased my reputation despite my "non-sensical" posts

PS. No one has answered my question yet on how everyone is enjoying the heat these days...

Edit: I see someone did answer how they enjoy the heat. Bottom line is, people will have differing opinions, and I find people who's opinion don't match others, they try to impose their opinions. It's not going to happen. For some of us folks we voiced our complaints, yet others feel it needs to be defended, so threads like these are never going to die. I've been here many years and they just keep coming up with different people, though I find it interesting that the same people are doing the defending.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:58 AM

910 posts, read 2,334,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by td1026 View Post
That's like asking those who love snow if they say that only because they go skiing or sledding while wearing a sweater, mittens, ear muffs, boots etc and can come inside and sit by the fire and drink hot cocoa. I mean, C'MON! Florida without air conditioning in the summer is like Massachusetts without heating in winter, it's just not gonna work. And yes, I do take brisk walks when it's 95 outside, doesn't phase me. Call me crazy, although jumping into the pool afterwards is always so awesome and refreshing!
Yes, you do need the heat in the winter time up north. But when it comes to going outside, you can do something about the cold, like layering up, plus no matter how much you layer, you don't feel like you have to take a shower twice a day. Down here, when you're outside in the heat, you really can't escape it, you can only peel layers off clothing to a certain extent without getting arrested . Again, to each his own. I feel fresher being in the cold, and the deep freeze killing all the bad stuff, and washing it away in the spring thaw, a sense of renewal...over here, mold, pollen, just keep lingering and festering, nowhere to go except to settle or get re-blown all over the place. Again, to each his own...

Old 06-25-2011, 10:01 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,663,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
Not my home to pay taxes on, my parents pay those taxes and technically its a family home that would include me so using I was just a simpler term. Its a summer home. Luckily it was a summer home which they rented out.
I had an apartment by myself until my husband moved in which cost me over $1000.00.

Please go back to being the jackass.

Off to go talk to friendly people, douche.
Face facts, you lied to either try and impress some other posters or give validity to something else you posted. Either way your credibility is zero.

I don't see how pointing out your outright lies is being a jackass, i think liars are the biggest douches though and having one less in Florida is a great thing.

And mods, before you decide to give me an infraction or not because of the above post. Keep in mind I reported her post a week ago and did not respond to it until it was still there after a week. In my eyes that tells me jackass and douche are acceptable words here since they aren't automatically bleeped out of a post and her post remained.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:57 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,312,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
PS. No one has answered my question yet on how everyone is enjoying the heat these days...
I'm enjoying the heat quite well, thank you. I walk to work each day and I do not own a pair of shorts or sandals. When I drive, I roll down the windows. I don't need a blanket when I sleep at night. I guess you could say that I have a high heat tolerance.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:19 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,782,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Face facts, you lied to either try and impress some other posters or give validity to something else you posted. Either way your credibility is zero.

I don't see how pointing out your outright lies is being a jackass, i think liars are the biggest douches though and having one less in Florida is a great thing.

And mods, before you decide to give me an infraction or not because of the above post. Keep in mind I reported her post a week ago and did not respond to it until it was still there after a week. In my eyes that tells me jackass and douche are acceptable words here since they aren't automatically bleeped out of a post and her post remained.
Last year and any year before if anyone ever said this type of stuff on here, they were banned and infracted in a hearbeat... Same member posted a nice comment on my member page at one time, I had to beg to get it removed. Not cool....

Old 06-25-2011, 02:00 PM

711 posts, read 1,857,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Florida just hasn't been the same since we outlawed real produce stands.
Florida did out law fresh-squeezed orange juice. That's why the roadside stands on the freeways (the ones with the billboards advertising fresh juice) no longer sell fresh juice. It's all pasteurized. Quite sad, really, the fresh stuff was really good.

Old 06-25-2011, 02:06 PM

17,550 posts, read 39,181,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post

I reported it also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida