Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 10:52 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times

Advertisements

So I guess those same kids who live in Texas, Arizona, Nevada, California, Louisianna, Alabama and other warm weather states don't have this problem?

/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Not everyone "gets used to" Florida weather, even those who WORK outside. I can say from experience that even born and raised Floridian children, and also, born and raised Mexican and Haitian kids, don't either. "Can we stay inside for recess?". "Can I just sit under a tree?" "I need WATER!" Again, I am quoting Floridian, Mexican, and Haitian CHILDREN when they had to go outside for recess in the Noon day 100 degree heat index sun in August.

When it's cold out, you can wear more clothes and physical activity warms you up. How many clothes can you take off? Physical activity when it is very, very hot will only give you heat stroke.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:10 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Not everyone "gets used to" Florida weather, even those who WORK outside. I can say from experience that even born and raised Floridian children, and also, born and raised Mexican and Haitian kids, don't either. "Can we stay inside for recess?". "Can I just sit under a tree?" "I need WATER!" Again, I am quoting Floridian, Mexican, and Haitian CHILDREN when they had to go outside for recess in the Noon day 100 degree heat index sun in August.

When it's cold out, you can wear more clothes and physical activity warms you up. How many clothes can you take off? Physical activity when it is very, very hot will only give you heat stroke.

I did Kindergarten and first grade in NE New Jersey, followed by the rest of elementary in Florida.

I don't ever remember passing out or not being able to go outside due to the heat during recess in Florida. I also never recall anyone ever requesting to stay inside for recess... this was back in the late 80s and early 90s... maybe kids have gotten much lazier since then, because the weather is the same.

However, one of my most vivid memories of recess up north was falling down and knocking the back of my head on a piece of ice. I distinctly remember my head ringing from same at the age of 6. I also have a lot more "outside being cold" memories as a child than memories of being too hot.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:45 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I don't ever remember passing out or not being able to go outside due to the heat during recess in Florida. I also never recall anyone ever requesting to stay inside for recess... this was back in the late 80s and early 90s... maybe kids have gotten much lazier since then, because the weather is the same.
Might be a combination of kids having more in-the-house diversions and schools being a little more careful when the heat index approaches an unbearable level. My daughter's school will cancel playground time if the heat index is too high.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:48 PM

15 posts, read 47,311 times
Quote:

Well, then I suggest you stay away from warm places if you can't adapt. My husband is outdoors every day in 60 degree weather and he barely breaks a sweat - and he's not born here in S. FL. He's from the midwest. If you are out in the heat, you adapt. If you stay in the a/c, you don't.

Your water comment is really odd because ALL humans need water, no matter how hot it is. Most Americans are chronically dehydrated. Thirst has nothing to do with heat. Asking for water is not a symptom of too much heat. You can actually become far more dehydrated in dry arid climates. We have severe problems with the dry air when we're forced to go to Vegas to do a trade show or when we were forced to go to Kansas for a funeral. We become severely dehydrated and drink water like crazy but it still doesn't stop the sinuses from bleeding. Now, if we were forced to LIVE in that climate, we'd adapt.

The only kids who want to stay inside during recess are the ones who are already computer addicted because their parents allow the TV and computer to bee their babysitter. And it makes sense to stay out of the direct sun. I mean, really? You will get heat stroke if you stand in the direct sun in high heat.

It takes common sense. Those who choose to complain about the humidity can just stay away from it.

OH, and the good thing about humidity - it's good for your skin. Those on in drier comments have much more wrinkled skin because it's dehydrated constantly.

Bottom line, we like Florida. You don't. So don't bother living in it and move on with your life.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:52 PM

15 posts, read 47,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
So I guess those same kids who live in Texas, Arizona, Nevada, California, Louisianna, Alabama and other warm weather states don't have this problemz/

/
I spent some years in Alabama growing up and it was as hot as hell in the summers and we didn't have air conditioning back then. We managed. This whole thing about complaining about the heat is ridiculous. All one has to do is LEAVE if they don't like it. Heat isn't limited to Florida.

And didn't I read about severe heat waves in NY, NJ and other northeastern states last summer? Wow...did they all head for Alaska then?

Old 10-18-2011, 12:59 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanInSFL View Post
exactly.

It's just NOT for everybody Susan; neither is AL or the bayous of Louisiana. And there is no crime in getting out of Dodge if it doesn't suit you. Regarding "research", that's fine and dandy, so you Floridians have to stop telling people "you'll get used to it" [heat and humidity] because many have given it a long term chance, years in fact, and never get used to it.

No need to be so critical of people who are uncomfortable living in swamplike conditions. Life is too short to be miserable.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:12 PM

When it gets hot up north they open "cooling centers". They also set up public pools around the city. Portable ones. As a kid in NYC we'd open up the fire hydrants. Drew dozens of kids and adults. Later they came out with the spray caps for the hydrants and they were even better. The hydrants still get opened in the summer to this day. Let me tell you, the streets of Brooklyn NYC get pretty darn hot in July and August. We'd be so hot we'd go to the grocery and get those 18" frozen flavored water sticks. Most of the melting happened on our heads and arms as we tried to cool off.

As I've stated on this forum before, it amazes me that northerners move to the south and complain that it's hot most of the time. I don't know who, if anyone, really lives missing the notion that the further you go south from where you are, at least in the continental U.S., the hotter its going to get. Where is the question there? And then to complain about it like it became some surprise to realize why it's called "the sunshine state".

People who move here obviously should not have a compelling need to mountain bike. They bike though, there are hundreds of miles of bike trails throughout FL. So, if someone specifically has a need in life to mountain bike, well, cut FL off your wish list. Georgia has some nice mountains though.

I also find transplants looking to find exactly what they had at home
here. I could almost hear them say "Like where is the MoMA? Where is
the Guggenheim. Sorry, don't have them, but there is Dali, Tiffany, Morse, and many other museums spread throughout the state

Art Museums in Florida

Many of the chronic complainers, whether it be about the heat, the rain, the dry, the cold, the water, the Gulf, their neighbors, their jobs (or lack thereof), no matter what the complaint, ever pack it in and get on with their lives. They just continue to rant and rave about the "subject of the week" and that usually depends on the season it is.

If they wanted to keep a northern lifestyle why on earth did they even consider relocating to Florida in the first place? I just don't get it.

Oh, we never had a/c in NYC. The electrical systems of the pre-war buildings couldn't support it. It sure would have been nice though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanInSFL View Post
I spent some years in Alabama growing up and it was as hot as hell in the summers and we didn't have air conditioning back then. We managed. This whole thing about complaining about the heat is ridiculous. All one has to do is LEAVE if they don't like it. Heat isn't limited to Florida.

And didn't I read about severe heat waves in NY, NJ and other northeastern states last summer? Wow...did they all head for Alaska then?

Old 10-18-2011, 01:22 PM

While I agree that it is no crime in getting out of Dodge, the problem is some folks seem not to ever do it. As far as heat and hu, I don't see anyone saying "you'll get used to it". But if you're not a fan of heat and humid weather most of the year, then you should scratch FL off your list and check out some other potential new home states. One should never live in conditions that are not acceptable to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
It's just NOT for everybody Susan; neither is AL or the bayous of Louisiana. And there is no crime in getting out of Dodge if it doesn't suit you. Regarding "research", that's fine and dandy, so you Floridians have to stop telling people "you'll get used to it" [heat and humidity] because many have given it a long term chance, years in fact, and never get used to it
No need to be so critical of people who are uncomfortable living in swamplike conditions. Life is too short to be miserable.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:46 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
While I agree that it is no crime in getting out of Dodge, the problem is some folks seem not to ever do it. As far as heat and hu, I don't see anyone saying "you'll get used to it". But if you're not a fan of heat and humid weather most of the year, then you should scratch FL off your list and check out some other potential new home states. One should never live in conditions that are not acceptable to them.
Yes m'am, that's exactly what I said. I can't tell you how many times people here have said "you'll get used to it". They just are not on the forum. But if someone wants to do a search on the FL topics, I'm sure you could come up with some who say that. I make my own decisions, and I've decided not to live in the swamp and will never complain about snowflakes again, honest to Pete.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:24 PM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I did Kindergarten and first grade in NE New Jersey, followed by the rest of elementary in Florida.

However, one of my most vivid memories of recess up north was falling down and knocking the back of my head on a piece of ice. I distinctly remember my head ringing from same at the age of 6. I also have a lot more "outside being cold" memories as a child than memories of being too hot.
I had a 50 ft. driveway on a hill up North. Did I ever fall down on it in the snow and ice? Sure I did, but I also slipped down it when it was wet from rain in Summer because it was very slick. I learned very quickly to walk slowly or wear the right kind of shoes going down that hill. I never said I have to move to where it doesn't snow, or RAIN, so I will never fall down. Maybe I should move to a desert area to avoid this? No snow. No RAIN!

I worked in a Title 1 school here. The majority of kids had never seen a computer before they started school. Inside? From what I heard, they went outside in an inflatable pool, or they went to the beach. Major difference between going in the water than just running around outside in the heat at recess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida