Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2011, 07:57 AM

677 posts, read 934,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
You must live in a dome......

Chris you are just too funny, LOL!! Gee I'll miss you're Fl humour when you move.

Old 08-30-2011, 08:39 AM

161 posts, read 412,839 times
Default Whew

Well there's 2 hours of my life I will never get back reading all 62 pages of this thread! But I am feeling pretty tough skinned so I thought I would wade in and post to see what kind of discouraging replies I could get.

I was born & raised in Florida, left when I was in high school. I lived in several states since then and have been in Kentucky for the past 28 years. By Nov 1st I will have relocated back to Florida. Why? Well, I could say "It's home" but really after all these years it's not home anymore ya know. Home is where you hang your hat as they say. Kentucky is home, I have laid down alot of roots here in the past 28 years. But it is time to move on and if I am going to move on why not do it in paradise. Oh, it won't be paradise you say?? Well shucks. It's hot? I welcome the Florida heat after the last several summers here. The heat index in the 100's day after day with no breeze blowing no rain for weeks.... yeah I will take a 100 degree heat index in Florida with a slight tropical breeze and an ocean just a short drive away. There's no seasons??? Well crap, I so enjoy shoveling the driveway just so I can go mingle with the idiots on the road who seem surprised that snow/ice on blacktop is slick! I enjoy my furnace running continuously as I envision the head honchos at the power plant planning on the new cars they will buy from our electric bills!

When my husband and I first discussed moving to Florida I made a Pro/Con list. They evened out perfectly. So we will sell most of our belongings, say goodbye to family and friends and try Florida. If after a year or so we are miserable, we will move somewhere else. It won't be Florida's fault, just as us leaving Kentucky isn't Kentucky's fault. I liken it to buying a sofa: You go to the sofa store and before you sits 50 sofas. You cannot stand in the doorway and say I will take that white one 5th row back 7th from the left and then when you get it home decide it sucks and blame the sofa! You have to sit on them, feel them, wiggle around on them, then make your choice. You may be happy with that sofa for 5 years but then it just doesn't fit your butt anymore so you have to go try them all again and see which one fits.

So hello Florida, with your tropical breezes, sandy beaches, natural wonders, endless things to do, etc. And hello Florida with your higher costs, areas with crime and your humidity..I am ready to visit you both and perhaps sit down and see if my butt fits!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:09 AM

87 posts, read 136,608 times
For me, it is not what FL lacks but it is what FL did not provide my family.

My main reason for moving back is to be closer to my family.

It was my husband's decision to move to FL because he thought he wanted a slower-paced lifestyle and was sold on the idea of cheaper COL. Plus he wanted to expand our business and FL was an option. I was completely against it since I love Southern CA and didn't mind the higher COL. We have a business and I have a good career so money wasn't an issue but I had to support him and his decision.

Well after spending 3 months here, the longer hours at the office for him having to work with West Coast clients was starting to take a toll on him. Plus knowing how much I miss my family and was homesick finally made him realize the cheaper COL wasn't worth it so that is why we are moving back.

All the other little gripes we have about FL are trivial and wasn't enough to make us want to move.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:30 AM

623 posts, read 966,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
I don't live in Florida, but these are the reasons my brother wants out:

- No sense of community
- Mostly all chain restaurants; no really good restaurants
- Misses the 4 seasons (he didn't realize how HOT/HUMID it was)
- Very transient; hard to make friends, etc.........
Thats the best on I ever heard he didn't realize how hot and humid Florida is........................ Where is he living in a cave or under the ground????? Thanks for the laugh

Old 08-30-2011, 03:51 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,388,153 times
it's funny when people complain about how transient it is down here, as if no other places in the country worth relocating to are transient in nature.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:07 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,774,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySpice View Post
Chris you are just too funny, LOL!! Gee I'll miss you're Fl humour when you move.
Thanks!!! lol.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:16 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
it's funny when people complain about how transient it is down here, as if no other places in the country worth relocating to are transient in nature.
Let's take Boston for example, a city I believe would fall into your category of "worth relocating to" ... I lived there for 13 years, but moved there from somewhere else. 95% of the friends/acquaintances I met over the 13 years were from the Boston area. Having lived in Orlando for 15 years, I can honestly say that 95% of my friends/acquaintances are not from Orlando originally.

And I might add, not one of the folks I knew in Boston moved out of Boston. In the 15 years I've been in Florida, I've seen about 15-20 friends/acquaintances pack up and head elsewhere for whatever reason.
Most of them had kids and went home to be closer to the grandparents.

Last edited by Soup Not See; 08-30-2011 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: Additional info

Old 08-30-2011, 04:18 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,388,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Let's take Boston for example, a city I believe would fall into your category of "worth relocating to" ... I lived there for 13 years, but moved there from somewhere else. 95% of the friends/acquaintances I met over the 13 years were from the Boston area. Having lived in Orlando for 15 years, I can honestly say that 95% of my friends/acquaintances are not from Orlando originally.
but you made friends in both cities, so clearly you're not the average person who claims it's *so hard* to make friends in a transient area.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:31 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
but you made friends in both cities, so clearly you're not the average person who claims it's *so hard* to make friends in a transient area.
No complaints here and I'm in a different stage of life here than I was in Boston. But I do agree with Florida being more transient than other states ... I think I read somewhere that only 30% of the folks in Florida are from Florida where the national average was around 60%.

I also think that people from elsewhere expect the same neighborly treatment they received from where they came. Those people are not used to some neighborhoods where "Florida Friendly" (only a wave) might be all they get out of some people. My particular neighborhood is a "Florida Friendly" neighborhood, but we've gotten used to it. Perhaps the folks that are retreating "home" miss their family/old friends/neighbors and the way of life they grew up with.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:25 AM

87 posts, read 136,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
... I think I read somewhere that only 30% of the folks in Florida are from Florida where the national average was around 60%.
You might be right... everyone that I have met so far are transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida