Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 06:48 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Famous dutch actors? its obvious the last one is part indonesian/moluccan

Dutch actors are the least representative of what dutch people know, the same goes for other countries, they are many times picked because they look different than the more average/standard peoples.

I have been to england and most people are just like generic whites from the states, like 5'9 1/2 to 5 '10 in average and either mousy brown or dark brown hair color being dominant. Scandinavians, dutch and even germans are more striking looking as a whole.
Nope, all of them are 100% ethnic Dutch. The last one is called Jan Kooijman, doesn't get more Dutch than that. They're all from the same soap opera (GTST) and they look just like any other Dutch person. I'm not going to post pictures of random people like you and Anglosaxon do because I don't have their permission to do so.

Last edited by Rozenn; 08-25-2013 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 08-18-2013, 06:53 PM

824 posts, read 3,601,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Nope, all of them are 100% ethnic Dutch. The last one is called Jan Kooijman, doesn't get more Dutch than that. They're all from the same soap opera (GTST) and they look just like any other Dutch person. I'm not going to post pictures of random people like you and Anglosaxon do because I don't have their permission to do so.
He has foreign ancestry, I saw a report about that when I lived in the netherlands. The rest are all ethnic dutch but the last guy has foreign ancestry.

Last edited by Rozenn; 08-25-2013 at 04:17 PM.. Reason: Orphaned

Old 08-18-2013, 07:00 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Not really the danes are soooo much blonder, meanwhile the brits are by far mostly mousy brown haired and dark brown haired. Danes look germanic/nordic and brits look brythonic, gaelic, etc, like the old populations that inhabitated the Isles and atlantic shores long before the arrival of modern germanics/nordics from central asia.
Hair color doesn't mean anything. Britain got Norwegian genetic input, and many Norwegians have brown hair. Also, the genes for hair color can mix with the genes for facial type. They don't always follow the original pattern. There were facial types in the Danish photo that are similar to Brit ones, I noticed especially among the women.

Lots of Frisian input in Britain as well, both from Germany and the coast of Holland. There's no denying this (especially in view of the fact that English evolved from Frisian), so I don't know why you're so obsessed with "disproving" a Germanic-origin "myth". Sure, there was a Brythonic substratum, but it's undeniable that there was tons of Germanic colonization and admixture. It's a simple historical fact. Oh, and let's not forget the Normans, right? Nord-men? Hello?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-18-2013 at 07:58 PM..

Old 08-18-2013, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Hair color doesn't mean anything. Briton got Norwegian genetic input, and many Norwegians have brown hair. Also, the genes for hair color can mix with the genes for facial type. They don't always follow the original pattern. There were facial types in the Danish photo that are similar to Brit ones, I noticed especially among the women.

Lots of Frisian input in Britain as well, both from Germany and the coast of Holland. There's no denying this (especially in view of the fact that English evolved from Frisian), so I don't know why you're so obsessed with "disproving" a Germanic-origin "myth". Sure, there was a Brythonic substratum, but it's undeniable that there was tons of Germanic colonization and admixture. It's a simple historical fact. Oh, and let's not forget the Normans, right? Nord-men? Hello?

And? there were some mixtures but english people are far from being transplants from the jutland province or northern coast of germany/netherlands. Take a group of random english and they would much easier blend among scots, welsh or even Irish people than among any nationals, the claims about english being germanic transplants and welsh being the old british peoples is pretty much nonsense.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:21 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,240,795 times
Quote:
He has foreign ancestry, I saw a report about that when I lived in the netherlands. The rest are all ethnic dutch but the last guy has foreign ancestry.
Nonsense. You never lived in The Netherlands (otherwise you would have said so already) and Jan Kooijman is indeed 100% ethnically Dutch. I did a Google search just to be sure and found nothing about foreign ancestry. In fact, his father is a Dutch teacher.

You just can't fathom the idea that there are indeed many, many Germanic people with dark hair and dark eyes.

Last edited by Rozenn; 08-25-2013 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 08-18-2013, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Nonsense. You never lived in The Netherlands (otherwise you would have said so already) and Jan Kooijman is indeed 100% ethnically Dutch. I did a Google search just to be sure and found nothing about foreign ancestry. In fact, his father is a Dutch teacher.

You just can't fathom the idea that there are indeed many, many Germanic people with dark hair and dark eyes.
Ok then I guessed by mere fact those were all dutch actors, and jan kooijman is mixed ancestry, in fact most people of old indonesian mix are recognized as fully dutch by the census. The allochtonen label is pretty much including the most recent foreigners.

Last edited by Rozenn; 08-25-2013 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: Orphaned/bickering

Old 08-18-2013, 07:56 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
There has always been a myth about british people, specially the english being direct descendants of scandinavians and continental germanic peoples, which in my visit to the Uk does nothing but reveal how much untrue it is.

The overwhelming majority of brits, and even the english are descendants from old substrata of pre-germanic and pre-celtic origin populations whom already unhabitated the atlantic shores of europe way long before than the modern germanic/nordic peoples migrated from central asia to european lands.

If the english were so germanic then why the bulk of british population look so different from scandinavians, dutch or germans?

Typical crowds of english football fans:

Danish fans:

The english are far from being germanic, It was just an agenda created by colonial white americans who tried to justify white supremacism in old colonial america, such as benjamin franklin.

Americans seem to get annoyed when someone speaks truth about the real origin of british Islanders, because they have to defend their whiteness to all cost (considering vast majority of white americans have tons of colonial british blood), but like that silly concept of whiteness is alien to europe most brits dont give a damn about that and even embrace their older than previously assumed european origins.

The angles and saxons probably never returned to UK, most stayed in the continental side of the northern sea and the few ones who did it to the UK ruled and were of the higher castes hence influenced Britain linguistically and culturally, but the genes didnt dramatically change, not even in the more "germanic parts" of the uk such as eastern england and south-east scotland where still 70% of the autosomal dna comes from Old british lines.
First of all, I'm not sure too many people actually care this much. Secondly, the largest ancestry among White-Americans is German.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:01 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
And? there were some mixtures but english people are far from being transplants from the jutland province or northern coast of germany/netherlands. Take a group of random english and they would much easier blend among scots, welsh or even Irish people than among any nationals, the claims about english being germanic transplants and welsh being the old british peoples is pretty much nonsense.
Well, now you've changed the topic of the thread. There were some transplants way back when (see the Shetlands and Orkneys), and at various times (entire villages and towns of Frisians, for example: note all the "Frisby" placenames and surnames), but by the 21st Century, we can only speak of admixture, after so many centuries of descent. That's obvious, right? And surely you're not going to deny the Norman Conquest, either, right? So, what's your point?

There's no question that many Brits are descended from various Germanic tribes. The question is: is that their sole heritage? In most cases the answer would be "no". At this point in time, nearly everyone is of mixed heritage. So what?

Old 08-18-2013, 08:04 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Quote:
And what? they look Irish not like scandinavians, stop making yourself look pathetic and obviously untraveled.
No one is claiming the Irish are Scandinavian. You do not seem to no that the Republic of Ireland is not part of Great Britain. Ireland prides itself on the Celtic heritage. They don't claim any Germanic heritage.

Why should everyone have to look Scandinavian anyway?

Old 08-18-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
First of all, I'm not sure too many people actually care this much. Secondly, the largest ancestry among White-Americans is German.
Thats about self identification, most white americans ignore their ancestry 3 generations back, which is mostly british Isles colonial stock considering 80% of population in colonial times came from there.

Also most of the people who claim having "American ancestry" come from the southern areas, which is highly likely they are mostly british isles blood.

Whatever the census says British Isles ancestries combine plus Irish ancestry are by far the most common among white americans, and I'd say also black americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe