Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about the APBT
All 'pitbull' type dogs should be banned/euthanized. 19 21.84%
Each dog should be judged by their own behavior, not by breed. It's bad owners that make bad dogs. 65 74.71%
I'm not sure, but would like to learn more. 2 2.30%
None of the above, I will explain in my post. 1 1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 04:20 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,175,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Dont forget the IStaff now PBM lol!
Oh yeah! lol! I already forgot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
But a little dog can easily be grabbed and removed from the situation. It's much harder to diffuse a situation with a larger and heavier attacking dog. If my terrier mix (short legged half Schnauzer-Scotty) gets into it with the mailman, a child or another dog, I can just bend over, pick her up and walk or run away with her. My lab mix is about 45 pounds and still manageable for me to pull him out of the fray by myself. If I have to, I can still pick him up. I couldn't do that with a AmStaff terrier or a Norwegian Elkhound (speaking from personal experience with friends' dogs) if they were really going at it.
Our APBTs weigh 48, 42 and 38 pounds, I weigh just over 100 pounds and have never had a problem controlling any of them! I pick my dogs up all of the time, just to pick them up and kiss them! lol! I couldn't do that with my two Labs. I could get them to stand up on their back paws to kiss their heads, but I couldn't pick them up. APBTs are supposed to be about 35-55 pounds, and AmStaffs and Staffies are even smaller! They are small-medium breeds. Any dog that is healthy and in good shape has muscles. My Chocolate Lab would nearly rip my arm off if he saw something he wanted to go after on a walk. None of my APBTs could or would do that. When that Lab/ Shepherd mix ran into our yard and attacked our APBT, my husband got our dog away from the other dog several times, but the other dog kept coming after our dog over and over again! Even when the other dogs owner came over to get his dog they had trouble getting him! It took several tries for two men to get this dog off of our dog! As soon as they finally got that dog under control it was all over because our dog didn't want anything to do with that other dog. They didn't have to hold our dog back once they got that dog off of him like they had to do with the other dog, all my husband had to do was tell him to sit! After everything was said and done our poor little man was all cut up and the other dog didn't have once mark on him!

Old 10-17-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyDayNow View Post
My pittie is only 40 lbs. She is pure muscle, but not a big girl. She's a little big to me to be a lapbaby, but don't tell her that!
40 pounds is a perfect size for a pittie! Like I said in my last post, ours are 48, 42 and 38 pounds. All three of ours are solid muscle as well, but I still have no trouble controlling them. My APBTs are easier to control than my Labs ever were! Ours are too big to be lap dogs as well, but they are anyway! lol! I think all pitties are lap dogs, or at least they all think they are!

Old 10-17-2007, 09:23 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,712,150 times
Quote:
But a little dog can easily be grabbed and removed from the situation. It's much harder to diffuse a situation with a larger and heavier attacking dog. If my terrier mix (short legged half Schnauzer-Scotty) gets into it with the mailman, a child or another dog, I can just bend over, pick her up and walk or run away with her. My lab mix is about 45 pounds and still manageable for me to pull him out of the fray by myself. If I have to, I can still pick him up. I couldn't do that with a AmStaff terrier or a Norwegian Elkhound (speaking from personal experience with friends' dogs) if they were really going at it.
That was a good reply PBM. A annoying cattle dog mixed charged me and my girl. I'd say we are the victim. She is 35lbs and I picked her up easily. I'm only 105lbs but come on a 35lbs dog is only well exactly 1/3rd of my weight so I can handle her. On the other hand I've had some Lab and Lab mix dogs that were very hard to control and they were larger though. 65lbs range, they also had little OB training behind them. Of course the Lab/spaniel mix I'd say was about that 45lbs, she was controllable just not as easy to pick her up. She'd be more the wild and kicking type to scratch me up.

I think its going to depend on the breed a little bit, size, strength and then again individual dog. Look how small a Yorkie is yet that guy couldn't keep his from jumping out of his lap, getting away from his reach and biting my pants. I also had a Pit mix (foster) that was attacked by a Yorkie. The thing ran out of the yard and charged her, barking, yappy and then nipping her chest. There was no need to control my dog, she wasn't doing anything wrong. She was about 40lbs. She was just staring at this little thing thats biting her. Then the owner finally ran out and grabbed her. This wasn't the 1st time the dog had ran at someone I found out. They put the dog outside by herself and then even when they are out there with her they don't have verbal control and she does what she wants.

My other female I took to the vet today is 36lbs, she is usually great and I'm not sure what has got into her. She never really cares about other dogs, certainly doesn't bark at them, not even at shows where there are many other APBT to challenge. She used to think she could dominate/chase the cat AT FIRST that showed up here pg but she soon learned I wouldn't accept that. Now sometimes she will still approach the cat in a dominant fashion and the cat hisses at her and my girl just walks away. Today there was a poodle at the vet that she didn't like for some reason. The dog was staring at her and barked at her so I don't know, she barked back a little and grimaced. I just told her no and I used the distraction of having her look at me while I talked to her. She still kept trying to turn and see that dog. Then when she went into the room she barked at the door a couple times like I know you're out here. She has never behaved like that before and when we went out there was a different small patient and she paid her no mind. Guess they won't all like everyone.

Old 10-18-2007, 07:54 AM

41 posts, read 42,183 times
Whoever the hell that jsimms3 person is, you make me SICK! Let me ask all you pit haters a question. What is your take on humans? The murderers, the child molestors, the serial killers. That goes to say that there is a lot of bad blood among humans right? Well I dont hear about people hating on them saying people should just be euthanized. Now how about black people? We single them out. Blame them all for the few. Pretty much just say that all blacks are lesser than whites. Now do you see a similarity to the Pit Bull problem? I DO! Stop hating on ALL Pit Bulls for the few and the ones that are taught aggressiveness and to kill. Blame yourselves for their behavior. It is the piece of ****s like Michael Vick who ruin for all of us who treat our Pit Bulls right and love them.

Obviously I have a Pit Bull. He is the love of my life and I love ALL dogs as my own whether chihuahua or Rotweiler or Pit Bull. So if you don't like Pits then that is fine.

BUT WHAT MAKES IT RIGHT FOR YOU TO TAKE THEM AWAY FROM THOSE WHO DON'T. IF YOU DONT LIKE THEM THEN LEAVE THEM ALONE! I dont see you hating on great white sharks, or the terrible drivers who kill more people than ANYTHING. And there is always more to the story than the media gives!!!

Old 10-18-2007, 08:47 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,416,096 times
Quote:
Staffs and AmStaffs and whatever are easily removable from any situation too. You just have to know how to do it. Its pure myth that these 'pitbull' type dogs see red insituations and refuse to let go. It is quiet ieasy to remove the dogs. I have dont it myself. Any good owner would know how to do it. The bigger the dog, the bigger the dog of any breed I should say the more difficult it gets. But its easily done for an experienced, educated owner.

Old 10-18-2007, 09:21 AM

216 posts, read 830,121 times
I just want to chime in that I have several dogs, including 2 pit mixes. I love pit bull dogs, they are fantastic, friendly, loving dogs.

I have been around ALOT of pit bulls and have never ever had any problems. Never felt threatened, never felt endangered. It seems to me the majority of people who are calling pit bulls dangerous are the ones who haven't had much if anything to do with them.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,682 times
I have a pit and all he does is lick!!!!, he never barks and is friendly to everyone he does not even act protectine towards ne one, like i said all he does is lick.
People say that pits are mean but a little tiny dog can be me ""like pits have said to be"" but that is only if you teach them to be, and also if the owner is mean and agressive to him he learns to be agressive to EVERYONE even owner.
My dog is huge, there was a little puppy around and she was mean to my dog and he was running from him, he was probly only 5 lbs and my dog is huge (dont know weight). I have two kids and he is awesone to them. I will take him walking and he LICKS people non-stop.
So i agree with mom2Five the people who say pits are mean have never had much of any thing to do with them!!!!

Old 10-24-2007, 10:46 AM

216 posts, read 830,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashey View Post
So i agree with mom2Five the people who say pits are mean have never had much of any thing to do with them!!!!
And unfortunately...those are the people that make the laws

Old 10-24-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashey View Post
I have a pit and all he does is lick!!!!, he never barks and is friendly to everyone he does not even act protectine towards ne one, like i said all he does is lick.
People say that pits are mean but a little tiny dog can be me ""like pits have said to be"" but that is only if you teach them to be, and also if the owner is mean and agressive to him he learns to be agressive to EVERYONE even owner.
My dog is huge, there was a little puppy around and she was mean to my dog and he was running from him, he was probly only 5 lbs and my dog is huge (dont know weight). I have two kids and he is awesone to them. I will take him walking and he LICKS people non-stop.

I see that you are new on here, so first off, welcome to CD!

I agree with your post! My husband and I own three American Pit Bull Terriers and they are all sweet hearts! Like you said, they just lick and lick and lick! lol! I think it must be a "pit bull" thing!

I wanted to ask you though, what breed do you own, American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier or Staffordshire Bull Terrier? Also, do you have any idea how much your pitty weighs and is he mixed with another, larger breed? I was just curious because you said that he is huge? All three of the "pit bull" breeds are small-medium breed dogs. APBTs, the largest of the "pit bull" breeds, should weigh around 22-75 or so pounds. An average weight for an APBT is 35-55 pounds. The largest APBT I know is 75 pounds and that is very large for the breed. Most of our close friends and family own some type of "pit bull" breed and all of the dogs are between 20-60 pounds (except the one that is 75 ). Most APBTs that are over 75 or so pounds are poorly bred, mixed with a large breed or are not even "pit bulls" at all. Our 1 year 6 month old male APBT, Brooklyn, weighs 48 pounds, our 11 month old female APBT, Jayda, weighs 42 pounds and our 9 month old female APBT, Destiny, weighs 38 pounds. Anyway, I was just curious.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:23 AM

200 posts, read 888,631 times
Hello,
I've got an AmStaff Terrier/Lab mix, and he is the sweetest thing in the world. I may not have a pure breed, but I would surely own one. Our vet even said that an AmStaff is one of the best dogs to have with children because they are so loyal and friendly.
His name is Opie, and he weighs about 45 pounds.

That being said: I honestly feel that people who want to own any bully breed should have to obtain some sort of license first. Something that shows they will be responsible for the dog. I think all pet owners (even non-bully breeds) should be required to register their dogs. I think that it's too easy for people to obtain these beautiful animals and mistreat them intentionally. If your dog is registered, and you are a licensed bully breed owner, then you keep your dog. If the dog is not registered, and you have no license, they (police/animal control/ordinance violation enforcement, whatever) will take your animal, take it to the Humane Society or some organization to ensure it has not been made people or animal-aggressive, then adopt it back out to a licensed owner.

I would think this would halt a lot of the breed-specific legislation, and allow people to keep their APBTs!

Last edited by sedie80; 10-24-2007 at 11:23 AM.. Reason: Left out the dog info! Oops!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs