Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about the APBT
All 'pitbull' type dogs should be banned/euthanized. 19 21.84%
Each dog should be judged by their own behavior, not by breed. It's bad owners that make bad dogs. 65 74.71%
I'm not sure, but would like to learn more. 2 2.30%
None of the above, I will explain in my post. 1 1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2007, 03:26 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I agree. I chose a Staff over a house alarm. A house alarm brings attention to my house when nobody else has one. I was kinda hoping he might bark when someone comes to the door, but he hasnt. Oh well lol. A bark is a great deterent for anybody wanting to break in.

BTW, my Lab / Retriever mix was put down because he was waaayyy to agressive, tried to bite my friends two kids in the face, i was working with him but couldnt get him to stop it with kids.
Oh yeah Labs make great alarms...and they are big so their bark is too...it's always so funny to me to see people react to it. We had a pizza guy run back to his car when she went to the door barking...LOL

I'm wondering if that may have been the Golden Retriever in him....I've never had one of those but my friend does and he does that also, not nasty but kind of playful...although it still hurts. He starts by licking and then seems to get too excited and bites. I have a lab and so do most of the members of my family and except when they were puppies they haven't ever bitten anyone...not even my 5 year old and believe me they should have bitten him a few times.

Old 05-03-2007, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,544 times
hi my name is IOANA and i gott to tell you this is not a good idea to put pit bulls to sleep.......what are you doing? its not their fault, its the owners fault because they teach them to be agressive and mean!
I had a pitbull and she was the greates dog I ever loved and Kare about, she took good kare of me and I really appreaciate all that, she was little maybe 2 years when she started heraing and recognising violence, sometimes my dad was yelling to do stuffs because I forgot or ..... and she allways was barking at him but she never bite or things like that she was staying by my side everytime i was sad or bored or crying, she loved me verry verry much! she is now in Romania and i miss her verry much
!
Attached Thumbnails
American Pit Bull Terrier-dsci0003.jpg   American Pit Bull Terrier-pighi1.jpg   American Pit Bull Terrier-f1000003.jpg   American Pit Bull Terrier-ale-p.jpg  

Old 05-03-2007, 05:35 PM

43 posts, read 147,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ioana View Post
hi my name is IOANA and i gott to tell you this is not a good idea to put pit bulls to sleep.......what are you doing? its not their fault, its the owners fault because they teach them to be agressive and mean!
I had a pitbull and she was the greates dog I ever loved and Kare about, she took good kare of me and I really appreaciate all that, she was little maybe 2 years when she started heraing and recognising violence, sometimes my dad was yelling to do stuffs because I forgot or ..... and she allways was barking at him but she never bite or things like that she was staying by my side everytime i was sad or bored or crying, she loved me verry verry much! she is now in Romania and i miss her verry much
!
Awww, she's adorable. She almost looks like a pit/boston terrier mix.

Anyway I got an interesting email today about media bias...

For the record, here is an interesting piece done by Karen Delise, author of "Fatal Dog Attacks". It shows how media over reports pit bull attacks by an overwhelming margin - in this case, as much as 91 to 1. This, of course, creates the dangerous public perception that these dogs are radically more dangerous than any other large breed dog, which is simply untrue (as she proves through the research in the aforementioned book)

Media Reporting:
Sensationalism Replaces Common Sense...Consider four separate incidents which took place on June 9th, 2006...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attacks by non-pit bull dogs are rarely taken up by national or international media sources, while this is regularly the case with pit bull attacks.

A three-year-old Virginia boy was admitted to the hospital with "extensive injuries". The child was attacked by a Golden Retriever mixed breed dog. The wounds to the child required 300 stitches; and the child will require additional surgeries to "functionally repair muscles, nerves and work on scars". This incident was reported in only two local Virginia newspapers.

A 3-year-old girl is admitted to Children's Hospital in Denver with serious lacerations to her face and head. The hospital declined to release the child's name or information on her condition. She had been attacked at her home by a Labrador Retriever. This attack was reported four times and only in Colorado media sources.

An Indiana woman is attacked and knocked to the ground by a German Shepherd dog. The dog she was walking, a small Sheltie mix was also attacked. Neighbors responded and managed to restrain the German Shepherd, but not before the woman was bitten twice in the face. Her small dog was so gravely injured that it was euthanized. This incident was reported in only one local Indiana newspaper.

An 11-year-old girl was bitten in the leg and received "serious, but not life-threatening injuries", when she was attacked by two Pit bulls in California. Her injuries required hospitalization. This incident was reported in over ninety-one national and international newspapers. Forbes, FOX News, along with the Washington Post, LA Times, Chicago Tribune and dozens of other major news organizations headlined this "Pit Bull Attack".

All information was researched and is fully documented by Karen Delise LVT, Independent Scholar and AuthorThe National Canine Research Council

http://www.nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/

I actually haven't read through this website, but thought it might be helpful. I'll take a look now.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:37 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,375,220 times
OK lets see listening to Bill O'reily is more dangerous than a pit bull??
come on people, how many times does it take to listen to the news and the owner saying its so out of his nature to just attack like this!
or is the media making a story out of a young child shredded by a pit bull
why did my neighbors dog jump through a window and shred my dog? he wasn't abused , he wasn't chained up he was well trained and a loving member of their family. so is it the owners fault?
and as he sat in the hospital with a stunned look on his face and told me that "maybe Sampson is dangerous?" duh this was the 3rd time his dog went after a dog in the neighborhood, but did i make him kill his dog? no i made him put up a six ft fence, keep it on a leash and a muzzle while outside and block all of his homes windows with heavy furniture so Sampson cant leap out.

another time i was at my friends house and he was telling me what a baby his pit was and two minutes later it grabbed my pants and started yanking....did i stick around to see if it was just playing? hell no.
so all i can say is that if this is the kind of pet you want carry big insurance!
my neighbor has paid $750.00 FOR VET BILL FORTHE FIRST ATTACK
$1200.00 FOR VET BILL FOR THE SECOND ATTACK
$4500.00 FOR MY DOGS CARE
$ 8000.00 FOR A SIX FT FENCE
$?????? WHO KNOWS HOW MUCH FOR FURNITURE
AND THE JOY OF OWNING A PIT BULL
PRICELESS

Old 05-04-2007, 09:51 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
lol htlong, its all good. Every dog that bites, its out of their nature, the media just love to report pitbulls because its their target at this moment. And from the sounds of it you love the drama and love the hype, so go ahead and read all the newspapers and enjoy the all the BS that goes with it. A dog pulled on your pants ? My Lab used to do that all the time, you got scared ? Poor you. Lock yourself in a closet because the big bad pitbull might come get you. Sheesh

Old 05-04-2007, 01:16 PM

1,310 posts, read 6,557,065 times
I have a question for everyone,

In respect to recongizing individuals frustrated at us dog people standing up for our pitbull love and breed fairness, can we say that a breed has tendency to animal agression due to whatever reasoning, and equally agree that we should never consider terminating a breed because of fear? Why not if you say no?

I find that animal aggression can be found in other breeds. But, I hesitate to speak "aggression" to anyone, due to the fact that when assuming people hear this, they point their finger and cry "kill them all!!"

How can we better handle this? What must we do to help educate ourselves and others?

Old 05-04-2007, 01:40 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,814,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deegers View Post
I have a question for everyone,

In respect to recongizing individuals frustrated at us dog people standing up for our pitbull love and breed fairness, can we say that a breed has tendency to animal agression due to whatever reasoning, and equally agree that we should never consider terminating a breed because of fear? Why not if you say no?

I find that animal aggression can be found in other breeds. But, I hesitate to speak "aggression" to anyone, due to the fact that when assuming people hear this, they point their finger and cry "kill them all!!"

How can we better handle this? What must we do to help educate ourselves and others?
You can't handle it better unless you ban stupid people from owning dogs. Not very helpful I know, but it's really the only way I can forsee that responsible dog ownership becomes the norm instead of the exception.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:45 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,258 times
Im so sick of people always saying how this person got attacked by a "pit bull" and this person got attacked by a "pit bull".... How do you know its an american pit bull terrier, a staffordshire bull terrier or an american staffordshire terrier? Because it has a big head, a wide chest and short fur?... I am not saying that no "pit bull" ever attacks and I am not saying that it wasnt a "pit bull" that attacked... Its never okay for a dog to attack someone but its also not okay for people to just say the dog was a "pit bull" without being 100% sure... people wouldnt say that a lab attacked them unless they were sure it was a lab.. if they werent sure they would say it looked like a lab or it was a lab mix.. people dont do that with pit bulls.. If the dog fits what people feel a pit bull looks like its all of a sudden a pit bull and they should all be banned!...I have said this so many times but there are 20+ breeds that are commonly mistaken for pit bulls. Most of the time you cant just look at the dog and know its a pit bull and so many people will tell you that. Ask a vet or someone that works with dogs everyday like people that work at a shelter. Its next to impossible to be sure the dog is 1 of the 3 breeds that people call "pit bulls" unles it has papers... There are so many popular family breeds that attack and/ or kill more people each year than "pit bulls".... why dont we hear about that?... Because people dont want to hear about it unless its a "pit bull"... These are wonderful breeds and its not right for people to say all of this crap that they are saying! UNLESS they are 100% sure its a "pit bull"... Its not only hurtful to the breeds, its hurtful to the people that own these breeds and love these breeds... Banning pit bulls will not lower the number of attacks.. if you look at the statistics (not what you hear on tv or on the radio).. the FACTS, you will see that banning "pit bulls" wont do anything but give people a false sense of security and hurt so many familys. Again.. I have said this before but we need to strenthen the laws we already have.. we need to 1. put a stop to leash law violations...higher penalties for owners who violate the leash law will dissuade more people from slacking on their duties to contain their dog 2. strengthen and enforce penalties for dangerous owners (and their dangerous dogs) 3. crack down on dog fighting 4. strengthen animal abuse laws 5. prevent criminals from owning dogs...the following people should not be allowed to own dogs: drug dealers, human or animal abusers, and anyone convicted of a violent offense (assault, rape, robbery, etc.) 6. regulate breeders.. we can also 1. fund public spay/neuter initiatives...these programs are important, especially low-cost ones. Unneutered dogs, particularly males, are far more likely to attack a human than either neutered males or spayed females. 2. educate about dog behavior (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/dog_care/stay_dog_bite_free/ (broken link)) 3. encourage responsible dog ownership 4. provide low-cost obedience training classes and behavior help hotlines for dog owners...

Old 05-04-2007, 08:09 PM

2,179 posts, read 7,375,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
lol htlong, its all good. Every dog that bites, its out of their nature, the media just love to report pitbulls because its their target at this moment. And from the sounds of it you love the drama and love the hype, so go ahead and read all the newspapers and enjoy the all the BS that goes with it. A dog pulled on your pants ? My Lab used to do that all the time, you got scared ? Poor you. Lock yourself in a closet because the big bad pitbull might come get you. Sheesh
sheesh!.... is a pretty uncaring remark to a man who was a witness to a unprovoked attack by a dog that out weighed his by 122lbs.
yes it was a dramatic time seeing my dog laying there with his guts hanging out! after being tossed back and forth as Ive only seen on the crocodile hunter.you can have all the pit bulls you want but if they come in my yard they wont walk out! once is enough....keep a big insurance policy just in case your dogs natural tendencies come out! or build a big fence as my neighbor did! but......

i know..... i know your's is a such a sweeeeet cutize wootzie wittle babeeeeee! now that statement deserves a big SHEEEEZZZZZEEEEE!!!!

Old 05-04-2007, 09:12 PM

43 posts, read 147,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
sheesh!.... is a pretty uncaring remark to a man who was a witness to a unprovoked attack by a dog that out weighed his by 122lbs.
yes it was a dramatic time seeing my dog laying there with his guts hanging out! after being tossed back and forth as Ive only seen on the crocodile hunter.you can have all the pit bulls you want but if they come in my yard they wont walk out! once is enough....keep a big insurance policy just in case your dogs natural tendencies come out! or build a big fence as my neighbor did! but......

i know..... i know your's is a such a sweeeeet cutize wootzie wittle babeeeeee! now that statement deserves a big SHEEEEZZZZZEEEEE!!!!
Wow....let's not start acting like children.

I'm sorry that your dog was injured, again, the point trying to be made was that it is the dog owner that is at fault. Your dog would never have been injured if there was a responsible owner behind that dog.

Banning breeds does not work, first, because the irresponsible owners do not follow the laws to begin with, they are not going to obey a ban. Do you think the local thug who thinks pit bulls are tough dogs cares about some city ordinance? The only people who would follow the laws are the ones who were responsible to begin with! You'd only be punishing the most responsible owners to begin with.

Second, even if the irresponsible people did somehow become upstanding citizens who follow the law, they would just get another breed of dog, and mess them up as well.

Banning breeds is WAY TOO MUCH government for me! If you allow local governments to decide what breed of dog we can and cannot have, what's to stop them then??

What if next, they decide any dog over 50 pounds needs to be erradicated, you know, since they have bigger, stronger jaws?

Say goodbye to your Labs, your Goldens, your Standard Poodles, your Huskies, Malamutes, Collies, Danes, St. Bernards, Mastiffs, Hounds, etc, etc, etc!!!

Don't you people see! Do not let the government start regulating personal preference! It WILL eventually BITE YOU IN THE A$$!

Jaime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.