Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 05:52 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,292,374 times

Advertisements

Has anyone seen this? What a crock! "Make no mistake, this dog can snap and has snapped and that is why it is not the dog for everyone." And the vet goes on to say that people have been maimed and killed by these dogs.

Um, any dog can snap if provoked, abused or trained to do so! Way to go Animal Planet!

Here is an excerpt from the show..if you want to hear the quoted part, fast forward to the minute mark.

Dogs 101: American Pit Bull : Video : Animal Planet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 06:16 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,015,348 times
*shrug* I watched the episode this morning, and thought, for what is was, it was quite a positive portrayal of the pit bull.

In ten minutes or less, the good and bad aspects of the dog were brought up. Is it the best dog for someone who has no experience with dogs? Absolutely not. As far as I saw, that was what was portrayed.

People HAVE been maimed and killed by these dogs. It is not the dog for someone who cannot, or does not want to, devote the time to training when young. It hardly villified the breed.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:36 PM

553 posts, read 1,272,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
*shrug* I watched the episode this morning, and thought, for what is was, it was quite a positive portrayal of the pit bull.

In ten minutes or less, the good and bad aspects of the dog were brought up. Is it the best dog for someone who has no experience with dogs? Absolutely not. As far as I saw, that was what was portrayed.

People HAVE been maimed and killed by these dogs. It is not the dog for someone who cannot, or does not want to, devote the time to training when young. It hardly villified the breed.
I agree. I thought they did a good job outlining the good and the bad. Pits can be wonderful dogs. But they are not for the inexperienced dog person. They must be socialize early and go through proper training. It's frustrating that as soon as someone even mentions "Pit Bull" people lose their minds. It is true that people have been mauled or killed. But when you dig deeper into those stories, nine times out of ten, it's a case of an irresponsible owner.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:42 PM

8,039 posts, read 4,515,163 times
I also saw this show..love dogs 101 by the way..This dog is Not for everyone they take patience, time and energy to raise them to be the lovable pet they should be. The shame is that too many of the wrong kind of people get ahold of these dogs and raise them to be killers. Many years ago it was the Doberman that was feared I have been around many Dobys and if raised in the right home they are just a puddle of mush. Also the German Shepard took the lead and still does but they also if raised in a calm and loving atmosphere can be a loyal and loving companion. I think at times I would fear a little yap yap ankle bitter than one of these other breeds. Every single breed of dog has the capacity to do harm. IMO the show portrayed the pit very fairly and showed the breed in a good lite with the warning that this dog is not for everybody and if you watch the show often they also say the same about every breed.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:31 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,034,727 times
i saw it too .... twice in fact.... although i'll grant you i was multi-tasking both times, but i gotta say, i agree with the other poster's assessments that it was an overall fair portrayal...... maybe i should sit down and focus on the segment......

Old 09-13-2010, 01:48 AM

13,928 posts, read 39,306,840 times
The information about the Pitties Jaws muscle was interesting!

Old 09-13-2010, 04:42 AM

48,146 posts, read 22,010,341 times
I just watched the entire piece and thought it was very well done.....and was almost a PR piece for the breed. It showed them as loving, loyal, playful and good pets. It also discussed the abuse the breed and individual dogs have endured and indirectly spoke up for rescuing dogs.....even those who have experienced bad owners.....they can bounce back! I cant see anything bad or negative about the presentation......it has all the information that turned me around in the way I think about pitties.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:50 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,845 times
There are a lot of breeds that aren't for everyone. The Bulldog isn't for everyone, they can be a very aggressive dog if in the wrong hands. I think the segment was done very well. Hopefully it showed people that this breed is not the monster most think they are.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:29 AM

48,146 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Default Good News...Good Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpaw View Post
There are a lot of breeds that aren't for everyone. The Bulldog isn't for everyone, they can be a very aggressive dog if in the wrong hands. I think the segment was done very well. Hopefully it showed people that this breed is not the monster most think they are.
Exactly how I took it. I used to be one who questioned why anyone would "take a chance" on a breed that was bred to fight and could kill. I had a deep fear and suspicion of the breed and sympathized with the legislation to outlaw them.

I have since learned....and no longer feel that way. I still dont immediately warm to them and worry about them with kids ..... but that is mostly my problem. I wholeheartedly agree the trouble comes from the jerks who seem to be attracted but totally unsuited to owning a pittie.

This piece addressed all those concerns and was a marvelous vindication for the dogs.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:20 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,921,845 times
elston....Good for you. I'm sure other people may have changed their way of thinking about this breed after watching it. The whole idea is to educate people, I feel that that's what they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs