Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:32 PM

4 posts, read 4,821 times

Advertisements

This week I got a new puppy, and he has been fairly calm--he stays in the kitchen while we are gone, holds his pee & poop until we get home (95% of the time) and chews on his toys and bones and is very mild tempered.

As weird as it may sound, I am concerned. I've read a lot that these puppies are supposed to be crated, that they are very rambunctious, and that they will chew up anything--this hasn't been the case. It's sad enough to leave him alone, I can't think of leaving him in a cage too. Maybe I am just lucky and he picks up on when we give him treats for going to the bathroom outside...but I just dont want him to be sick or depressed. Up until this past weekend he had been living with his mom, and he has only been here a few days. I feel like I am trying to make sure he isn't homesick or depressed...am I over reacting??

Also, is it ok to leave a rawhide bone with him? I go home at lunch to check on him and walk/take him out but I just read that they are bad for puppy stomachs.

Thanks in advance for any & all advice!!

Erika
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 12:54 PM

150 posts, read 344,004 times
Personally, I never give my dog a rawhide unless I am there to supervise her, but than again, I am not a fan of rawhides.

As long as he is contained and not doing damage, so far, you are good. I love the crate, and used it when ours was a puppy.

I'm also thinking that since you have only had him a few days, it is probably still a honeymoon period. Every puppy I have ever had was wonderful for 5-7 days and then watch out.

Have fun and enjoy!

Old 08-24-2011, 01:02 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,922,619 times
How old is he?

Not all puppies need to be crated. One of my bullies and GSD never had to be crated due to getting into things like my other dogs did. Since he's only been with you a few days he is most likely missing his mom but it usually doesn't take long for them to adjust to their new home.

Enjoy it now while it lasts, it could all change very soon.

I don't give my dogs rawhide.

Congrats on your new puppy!

Old 08-24-2011, 01:42 PM

1,180 posts, read 3,128,811 times
I would still crate train whether the pup ever needs to actually be in with the door closed or not. If you travel with your pup in future he'll be safer in a crate. And, if you ever take him by plane, a crate will be required and a crate-trained dog is less stressed than one who's not crate trained. Also, any overnight vet stays (it happens) or if he ever has to be boarded, he'll be less stressed if crate trained.

Another thing I would do whether you decide to crte train or not, is get an ex-pen and have him stay in that while you're not home to supervise. He may not have chewed anything inappropriate yet, but chances are he will at some point in time unless you are one of the very lucky ones. And, when he does, there's always a chance that he'll chew something dangerous to him. Pesonally I would not take chance. I would also eliminate rawhides completely. Give him a bully stick instead. it's much safer. Also, you might have some interactive toys or stuffed kongs to occupy him while you're at work.

Don't forget, he may be calm now but he is a terrier and that terrier personality will come out sometime.

Old 08-24-2011, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the advice! Yes I have done a lot of research so I have definitely braced for the worst... I also know that they are very curious so I don't want him getting into anything that could hurt him. He has a vet checkup this weekend so hopefully he doesn't need Prozac... KIDDING!

But seriously thanks for the tips everyone!

Old 08-24-2011, 02:35 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,169,298 times
I'm a fan of crate training - but not a fan of over-using a crate.

Many advantages to crate training:
Dog will be less stressed when it HAS to be crated - at the vet, groomer, for safer travelling (in car and motels), or if you decide to get involved in some sort of dog sport or training.
You have a situation where for some reason your dog needs to be contained - at your house or someone else's - a crate is awesome.
The unimaginable- your dog needs to be rehomed for some reason. "Crate trained" is a very desireable skill.

Also, calm as he is now....he is a little puppy (I am guessing) and hasn't started teething yet. Yes? How will you handle it if he turns out to be one of those incredibly destructive chewers for months on end? The type of pup who will eat walls, rugs, furniture, etc. You'd better plan now for that eventuality, because I assure you if he is one of THOSE and you don't have a back-up plan in place, you'll be tearing your hair out in a few months.

So...I suggest at least getting him used to being calm in a crate, even if you don't use it regularly. It's simply a very handy skill for a dog to have in so many ways, IMO.

I've raised several Rottweiler pups and have had many fosters. And my JRT x heeler was unbelievably destructive from about 4 months to a little over a year. I don't like leaving a young energetic dog crated for long, but there were times I had to...I swear she would have eaten the house to rubble. Also she could leap onto the counters, table, anywhere she wanted pretty much. She was 14-15 months old before she got run-of-the house privilege.

I have two crates in my house, left open most of the time....there's almost always a dog in them with the door wide open.

Not a fan of rawhides here either. I'd use a stuffed Kong, nylabone, elk antler, real raw femur or knuckle bone, something like that. Many years ago a Rottie pup of mine chewed the knot off the end of a rawhide bone at someone else's house and had a very scary choking episode, luckily he was fine.

A bull terrier, like this? Got photos? We need cute puppy photos!

Old 08-24-2011, 03:05 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,776,886 times
I am not a crater, never have been. I isolate my puppies in one room when I am not home and during the night. So far, it has worked out just fine. However, the largest dog I have had was a Kerry Blue Terrier, she was about 40#'s and was not a chewer.

As for the rawhide, I am totally against them, when they first became the fad, I tried them. Had to dig a piece out of my beagles throat, she was choking. Since then I have given mine nylabones.

Enjoy your new baby!

Old 08-24-2011, 04:44 PM

1,253 posts, read 3,635,675 times
Keep in mind, you are his new pack. He has been taken away from his mom and sibs, the only pack he has known and is bonding to you. You are in the honeymoon stage (not a bad thing). He is adjusting to his new home and the the new rules and structure you are giving him.

Over the next few days and weeks, his personality is going to come out...and part of that will be the terrier personality. Again, that is not a bad thing. You have done your home work, which in my opinion is the most important part before getting your new puppy.

Rawhides are hard to digest for any dog, especially a puppy. The really bad ones are made outside the U.S.A., but still digestion issues and chocking. I stick with Kong toys for my extreme chewers. I have heard great things about bully sticks but have not used them. I stay away from bones because any bone can splinter, not just chicken/fowl.

Crate training is a good thing whether you use later or not. If you are coming home at lunch and taking your little guy for a walk, crating is fine until you get him through his chewing stage.

Crates are like dens, you can leave the door open as he gets older and he will come and go as he pleases. Den animals like the protection the den offers. (Remember wolves are den animals and therefore dogs instincts kick in for this area, too.)

Would love to see pics!

Old 08-25-2011, 12:06 AM

1,180 posts, read 3,128,811 times
We feed our dogs raw. If you feed bones make sure they are raw bones and supervise the dog. Raw meaty chicken and turkey bones are fine but they must be raw and NEVER cooked. That goes for all bones. Yes, it's possible to choke on a raw bone but it's rare (about the same chance as choking on kibble). Cooked bones, on the other hand, can and do splinter and these can be dangerous. Also, be careful with the weight bearing bones (legs for example) from larger animals. They tend to be hard and dogs that are aggressive chewers have sometimes broken a tooth on these bones.

I'll promise you one thing, if you decide to crate train you will never again be without one.

Old 08-25-2011, 08:16 AM

He is about 13 weeks right now.. so yes still a very curious puppy. I think over the weekend we will look at a crate for him. His potty training has been fairly easy (knock on wood) and last night was another night without accidents... I wake him up (he is very lazy) and then go out and get to business! He's funny too--this morning he curled up on his back in my lap like a baby and watched Animal Planet in that position....sometimes I swear he is like a little human!

also... I can't get photos to post! There are some on my blog though! erikathomas.com/?p=1478... he is too cute with spots around his eyes like a panda bear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs