Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about the APBT
All 'pitbull' type dogs should be banned/euthanized. 19 21.84%
Each dog should be judged by their own behavior, not by breed. It's bad owners that make bad dogs. 65 74.71%
I'm not sure, but would like to learn more. 2 2.30%
None of the above, I will explain in my post. 1 1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 07:24 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,279,740 times

Advertisements

It's making a dog that will make the news one day when one of the 11 kids goes into the back yard and a PBT with no manners jumps up on him in an effort for human contact and it is misconstrued as a vicious dog...and the kids will learn that you don't have to "care" for an animal, just feed it. How very sad....

Old 05-14-2007, 08:06 AM

9 posts, read 60,788 times
that is quite sad, but the people are just beibg protective over the boy, no-one likes being jumped on by a dog- whatever age they are!

cats are so much better...

Old 05-14-2007, 08:23 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,279,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
My homeowners insurance cancelled me because I had a Chow, I didn't, I have a black Pomeranian/Sheltie mix , turns out my insurance company goes around to thier clients homes and checks to see what kinds of dogs you have, if you have a Pit bull or Pit Bull mix, Chows, Dobermans and I think thier was another you get cancelled and here in Florida its no laughing matter.
I am one of those people that think that if you make your dog a weapon you should be euthanized or at least neutered.
I have back yard neighbors who have a Pit Bull mix tied up behind a very good privacy fence, they have custody of eleven kids and none of the kids are allowed to go in the back yard, I feel so bad for the dog, no company,no hugs, no belly rubs, no walks, just a dish of food daily. What kind of message does that send to the kids and what kind of dog is this making?
Dremora, did you even read Alexander's post? They have ELEVEN children.....and the dog gets no interaction from humans other than a feeding every day. They aren't "protecting" anyone at this point, they are proving that animals are property and not a living, feeling creature and teaching their children that it's okay to throw out some food and water and do nothing else. A dog that has not been socialized at all with humans or other animals will most likely not know how to react when exposed to either....and jumping on someone is the least of the worries with an unsocialized dog, I don't care if it's a chihuahua.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 05-14-2007 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: meant to add "RESPONSE TO DREMORA"

Old 05-14-2007, 08:58 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,417,165 times
Theyre breeding a dog that will be fearfull of everything. Dogs, People, whatever. And its dogs like this that end up attacking people / dogs, if or when they get out. Its terrible.

Dremora, "cats are so much better....", please say something more constructive than that. To me, cat owners who let their cats prowl the neighborhood to reack havock, get pregnant, impregnate other cats are just as irresponsible as people tieing their dogs up. I for one am allergic to cats andhad to buy a little bb to scare cats off because owners dont take responsibility for them. My friend (many moons ago) was bitten on the arm by one of these cats when he took the trash out and startled it.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:48 PM

1 posts, read 42,918 times
Smile Pitbulls

I personally have poodles but all pitbulls I have met are the biggest baby dogs I have ever met. They think they are the same size as my teacup(toy) poodle. I don't agree with a ban based on breed I think it is dog racism and that(dog racism) should be banned! I was asked with me having poodles(both big and small) if I would get a pitbull. I said yes of course I would I would get one as a puppy raise him/her, train him/her, and treat him/her just like I do my poodles like one of my kids/member of my family. I have fought co-workers, family members, and just plain stubborn people basing my arguments on fact. Like there are actually more small dog attacks than big dog attacks but because big dog attacks are usually more severe they are publiced more. I said think of it like this what would make a better headline: Toy Poodle Attacks Young Child Leaving Mesquito Sized Bite Marks or Pit Bull Rips Skin Off Young Child's Leg. It's not to hard to see which one will attract more attention or sell more papers. I read that post and both those two people need a serious reality check before long they will start banning Rottweilers and then Chow Chows and then Bulldogs and then maybe even one day Poodles for whatever reason they decide. I simply won't live somewhere that bases bans on breeds!!!
Nicole McMackin of Picassos Posh Poodles & Rescue
http://picassosposhpoodles.tripod.com/
How many pets do you own....whoa wait back that up....how many pets own you?

Old 06-20-2007, 01:58 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,175,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picassos Posh Poodles View Post
I personally have poodles but all pitbulls I have met are the biggest baby dogs I have ever met. They think they are the same size as my teacup(toy) poodle. I don't agree with a ban based on breed I think it is dog racism and that(dog racism) should be banned! I was asked with me having poodles(both big and small) if I would get a pitbull. I said yes of course I would I would get one as a puppy raise him/her, train him/her, and treat him/her just like I do my poodles like one of my kids/member of my family. I have fought co-workers, family members, and just plain stubborn people basing my arguments on fact. Like there are actually more small dog attacks than big dog attacks but because big dog attacks are usually more severe they are publiced more. I said think of it like this what would make a better headline: Toy Poodle Attacks Young Child Leaving Mesquito Sized Bite Marks or Pit Bull Rips Skin Off Young Child's Leg. It's not to hard to see which one will attract more attention or sell more papers. I read that post and both those two people need a serious reality check before long they will start banning Rottweilers and then Chow Chows and then Bulldogs and then maybe even one day Poodles for whatever reason they decide. I simply won't live somewhere that bases bans on breeds!!!
Nicole McMackin of Picassos Posh Poodles & Rescue
Piccasos Posh Poodles
How many pets do you own....whoa wait back that up....how many pets own you?
WoNdErFuL post!!! My husband and I are owned by two American Pit Bull Terriers! They have each been with us sinse they were 8 weeks old. They have both been properly raised, properly trained and over socialized! lol! They think they are 60 pound lap dogs.. and if they cant be in your lap they will sit on your foot, hand, leg, arm (pretty much whatever they can!) or they will lean right up against you! They LOVE everyone and everything, especially children!.. They are part of our family, part of us and they always will be. They are just all around wonderful dogs! We couldnt ask for any more and we would do anything for them!

Ohh and it isnt just pits anymore that are being affected by BSL.. Here is just one of the many lists of banned breeds..

This list is specifically named in ordinances

American Pit Bull Terrier
American Staffordshire Terrier
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
Bull Terrier (Monticello, Centerville, Alburnett & Hiawatha Iowa)
(Grandview MO) (N Little Rock, AR) (KY & WA)
Akita (Ulyssas, KS)
Alaskan Malamutes (Fairfield, IA)
American Bull Dog (North Little Rock, AR) (Aurora CO.)(Akron OH)
Belgian Malanois (Fairfield, IA)
Boerboels (Fairfield, IA)
Cane Corso (Aurora CO)
Chow Chow (Travelers Rest, SC), (Newport, RI) (Lynnville, TN)
Doberman Pincher (Fairfield, IA) (Sisston, SD), (Westfield, IL),
(Travelers Rest, SC) (Lynnville, TN) (Buffalo Center, IA)
Dogo Argentino (Aurora CO)
English Mastiffs, (Yale, IA)
Fila Brasileiro (also known as the Fila, Brazilian Mastiff) (Aurora
CO)
German Shepard (Fairfield, IA) (Lynnville, TN)
Great Danes (Fairfield, IA)
Irish Wolf Hounds (Fairfield, IA)
Mastiffs (Fairfield, IA)
Malamutes (Fairfield, IA)
Presa Mallorquin (also known as the Ca De Bou) (Aurora, CO)
Presa Canario (Lanett, AL) (Aurora CO)
Rottweiler (North Little Rock AR) (Buffalo Grove, ILL) (Fairfield,
Conrad, Lake Mills & Lockridge IA) (Walkerton, IN) (Inman, KS) (Carl
Junction & Salisbury MO) (Binghamton, NY) (Velva, ND)(Pawtuckett, RI)
(Travelers Rest, SC)(Lynnville, TN)(Smithville, UT)(Neah Bay, WA)
(Buffalo Center, IA)
Scottish Deerhounds (Fairfield, IA)
Shar Pei's (Smithfield, UT)
Siberian Huskies (Fairfield, IA)
Tosa Inu (Aurora CO)

NOTE These are breeds that are typically over 100 lbs according to
UKC & AKC Standards. If your dog is over 100lbs in Fairfield, Iowa it
is considered a restricted breed.

Again, this is just one of the MANY lists that are out there! This list grows very, very, very, very fast!!!! Once one city enacts BSL the next one will and then the next and the next! Just like with "pit bulls".. as soon as one city banned them ALOT of cities started to ban them! Pretty soon there wont be any dogs left!

Thanks for sticking up for these wonderful breeds! I wish there were more people like you in the world!

Old 06-20-2007, 04:47 AM

617 posts, read 2,823,387 times
I grew up with Pit Bulls. As a kid, they used to let me ride on their backs. One of my pit bulls even tried to talk. To this day, my dad only gets pit bull mixes, when he gets a new dog.

My dogs were fine, as long as they knew the person was somebody that we had brought into the backyard before. If you jumped the fence, and were an adult they didn't know, they would get aggressive. However... we had some kids who were using our pool without our knowledge, and we caught them. Our dogs never did anything to those teenagers, besides lick them!

Pit Bulls get a bad rap. It's really sad.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:07 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,749,297 times
I"m all for no pit bulls be allowed anywhere. No thanks, not for me and my family.

Old 06-20-2007, 09:27 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,417,165 times
Pitbulllmommie, you forgot to mention "Pit Bull Type" dogs which are mentioned by many ignorant people, and from what i see a "Type" is anything with a bit of muscle, dosent have to be connected to the breed at all.

Irish Wolfhounds are considered dangerous ? Wow thats crazy, I never even heard one of them growl before

I do remember my friends one sitting on me for 30+ minutes (or so it seemed to a 12 year old) and licking my face till he got bored.

Redwing, come up with some factual information to back up that statement and we may get a good debate going.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:56 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,175,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Irish Wolfhounds are considered dangerous ? Wow thats crazy, I never even heard one of them growl before
Yup! I think its all crazy! This was on one of the "pit bull" fact vs. myth websites... "Pit bulls are no more inherently dangerous to people than other dog breeds. People often assume that pit bulls are human aggressive because they were bred to fight animals. This is simply not true! If that were the case then Irish Wolfhounds, Anatolian Shepard's, Great Pyrenees, etc should be considered dangerous to humans as well." I agree that Irish Wolfhounds shouldnt be on this list, but I also dont think that any breed should be on that list! I am assuming Irish Wolfhounds are on this list for the same reason as "pit bulls".. they were also bred to hunt/ fight animals (wolves). Its all crazy to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs