Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about the APBT
All 'pitbull' type dogs should be banned/euthanized. 19 21.84%
Each dog should be judged by their own behavior, not by breed. It's bad owners that make bad dogs. 65 74.71%
I'm not sure, but would like to learn more. 2 2.30%
None of the above, I will explain in my post. 1 1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 11:47 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,175,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedie80 View Post
Hello,
I've got an AmStaff Terrier/Lab mix, and he is the sweetest thing in the world. I may not have a pure breed, but I would surely own one. Our vet even said that an AmStaff is one of the best dogs to have with children because they are so loyal and friendly.
His name is Opie, and he weighs about 45 pounds.

That being said: I honestly feel that people who want to own any bully breed should have to obtain some sort of license first. Something that shows they will be responsible for the dog. I think all pet owners (even non-bully breeds) should be required to register their dogs. I think that it's too easy for people to obtain these beautiful animals and mistreat them intentionally. If your dog is registered, and you are a licensed bully breed owner, then you keep your dog. If the dog is not registered, and you have no license, they (police/animal control/ordinance violation enforcement, whatever) will take your animal, take it to the Humane Society or some organization to ensure it has not been made people or animal-aggressive, then adopt it back out to a licensed owner.

I would think this would halt a lot of the breed-specific legislation, and allow people to keep their APBTs!
Great post! I couldn't agree more! Doing that wouldn't only allow people to keep their APBTs, but it would allow people to keep their APBTs, AmStaffs and Staffies. I don't think I have ever heard of a city just banning APBTs? It's always "pit bulls", which includes APBTs, AmStaffs, Staffies and any mixes of those breeds. It would also help the owners of the other so-called "dangerous" breeds like Rottweilers, Dobermans, German Shepherds, Chows, Huskies, Cane Coros, etc.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:09 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,194,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Staffs and AmStaffs and whatever are easily removable from any situation too. You just have to know how to do it. Its pure myth that these 'pitbull' type dogs see red insituations and refuse to let go. It is quiet ieasy to remove the dogs. I have dont it myself. Any good owner would know how to do it. The bigger the dog, the bigger the dog of any breed I should say the more difficult it gets. But its easily done for an experienced, educated owner.
Going by the AmStaff I used to walk for my friend, she was a much stronger and heavier dog than I would want to ever own. I know two women, one owns a Norwegain Elkhound and the other a Bull Mastiff, and both are owning theirs early in life when they have the strength to kept them in check. Later on, they will own smaller dogs. The woman who owns the mastiff, her dad is a dog show judge, and she is very familiar with all the breeds.

The point is, that I don't want to ever own a pitbull or an AmStaff, but I also don't want to ever own a Rottie, a Boxer, a Dalmaltian, a Jack Russell or a Chihuahua. And I don't want to own these dogs for a variety of reasons.

My boyfriend told me this pitbull story. His best friend's brother works for animal control in Florida and owns a pitbull that he has raised from a puppy. The dog was raised to be a friendly family pet. One night, a bunch of guys were hanging out by a campfire. The pit was there and another dog, they had always played with each other well. Both dogs were long neutered. So the guys are all relaxed and talking, when suddenly the pit leaps forward and onto the other dog's throat. It took three burly guys to get the pit off the other dog (which I think was a lab mix). Anyway, my boyfriend doesn't ever want a pit either. But he also dislikes Chows also.

So far, we have never voted on any legislation against pits or any other large dogs. We take each dog we meet on a case by case basis. But I see nothing wrong with having a strong opinion against ever owning certain breeds of dogs. It's just like my cars, I prefer Hondas and BMW's but will never own an American car or a Chinese one, and probably never a Korean one. It's all about having different tastes and being allowed freedom of choice. And if someone disagrees with my tastes in dogs and cars, it doesn't bother me at all. After all, I pick them out to please me, and not anyone else.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:20 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,175,635 times
Quote:
So far, we have never voted on any legislation against pits or any other large dogs.
"Pit bulls" are not large dogs. The three "pit bull" breeds are small-medium breeds.

Quote:
We take each dog we meet on a case by case basis.
I think that's wonderful! You know that I'm an APBT owner, but that doesn't mean I love all APBTs. I judge each individual dog. I think everyone should do that!

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with having a strong opinion against ever owning certain breeds of dogs.
There is nothing wrong with that. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, likes and dislikes. There are several breeds that I wouldn't ever want to own.

I personally don't have a problem with most of what you say, in fact, I agree with a lot of it. A lot of your posts are your opinions, and as I said, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. BUT, APBTs are not large dogs, neither are AmStaffs and Staffies. My Labs were bigger than all of my APBTs, my Fox Hound was the same size as my male APBT and larger than my two female APBTs, and even my Cocker Spaniel was larger than one of my female APBTs! These breeds are not large breeds.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:05 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,712,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedie80 View Post
Hello,
That being said: I honestly feel that people who want to own any bully breed should have to obtain some sort of license first. Something that shows they will be responsible for the dog. I think all pet owners (even non-bully breeds) should be required to register their dogs. I think that it's too easy for people to obtain these beautiful animals and mistreat them intentionally. If your dog is registered, and you are a licensed bully breed owner, then you keep your dog. If the dog is not registered, and you have no license, they (police/animal control/ordinance violation enforcement, whatever) will take your animal, take it to the Humane Society or some organization to ensure it has not been made people or animal-aggressive, then adopt it back out to a licensed owner.

I would think this would halt a lot of the breed-specific legislation, and allow people to keep their APBTs!
How would it halt BSL when it is BSL. Any law or legislation which restricts, bans or discriminates against a specific breed or breeds is breed specific legislation-BSL. I would fight any BSL like that. I will not be discriminated against because I own a Pit Bull!!! I will stand up for my rights. That is called BSL when only Bully breed owners have to license. There are so many other breeds that can be potentially dangerous that it is insane to target Bully owners. APBTs are usually people friendly, even when raised wrong, yet there are other breeds that without major training, extensive exposure and socialization they could be unpredictable and even lethal. So why is no one proposing mandatory license for Belgian Malinois, Cane Corso, Presa Canario, Boerboel, Caucasian Ovcharka, Akita, heck why not even Rottweiler and Chow owners, ect????

OMG...LMAO Make sure that is has not been made animal aggressive. Please learn about Bully breeds and APBTs before you make such comments. They can be naturally dog aggressive and have high prey drives. Try picking up a book or reading a breed site. This means they might want to fight another dog or kill a small animal. The same holds true for other breeds. This is no reason to take someone's pet, no reason to make sure they are not like this, no reason to keep the dog, no reason to PTS the dog. This is just ridiculous. So if the dog happens to be animal aggressive I guess they kill it? Instead of adopting him/her out. Watch out all Bully owners, seems more like genocide. They need to go after many breeds then Bully because many others can be animals aggressive. Again BSL, several Jack Russel Terriers I know will kill small animals but I guess those owners don't need a license so they don't have to worry about their breeds natural instincts.

We aren't allowed to have people aggressive Bully Breeds but its ok for the mastiff and shepherd owners. That makes sense. NOT

What experts exactly are going to give out these license and pass applicants? Probably ones that don't know anything about the breed and believe "Pit Bulls are only mean when trained to fight" crap. So basically we're doomed yet again.

In almost any city now you have to register your dogs and have a rabies shot. Most people just don't do it and its not enforced. Some places also have mandatory spay/neuter which is also not enforced and kennel license to sell pups yet not enforced. They already have enough laws that they do not enforce. Even places with one bite and dangerous dog laws that doesn't target breeds little is done when reported to enforce it. They just blow it off.

They would have to make any pet owner get a license for it to not be BSL and that takes too much time when they don't even enforce the other laws. I mean in some places the BSL isn't even enforced because people are still getting attacked by Pit Bulls and other breeds that are banned in that area. If things keep going the way they are I will probably move to another country.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:36 PM

216 posts, read 830,194 times
There was a pit bull that was deemed aggressive and euthanized because it attacked another dog. Another pit went after a cat, ac confiscated the pit and supposedly there was possibility the dog would be put down.

It's f@cking ridiculous. If ANY OTHER TYPE of dog did the same, people would just chalk it up to the dogs natural instinct. I cannot fathom killing a dog because it got into it with another dog...or because it went after cat?

It seems to me that bullie breeds are put to the highest scrutiny and it's getting to the point where they're not even allowed to act like dogs. Don't jump, don't run, don't bark....

Any dog can be animal aggressive. And my dachshunds are more likely to kill a small animal than either one of my pits. But they're hounds, it's natural - nothing to be condemned for!!!

Old 10-24-2007, 07:23 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,712,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
My boyfriend told me this pitbull story. His best friend's brother works for animal control in Florida and owns a pitbull that he has raised from a puppy. The dog was raised to be a friendly family pet. One night, a bunch of guys were hanging out by a campfire. The pit was there and another dog, they had always played with each other well. Both dogs were long neutered. So the guys are all relaxed and talking, when suddenly the pit leaps forward and onto the other dog's throat. It took three burly guys to get the pit off the other dog (which I think was a lab mix). Anyway, my boyfriend doesn't ever want a pit either. But he also dislikes Chows also.

FYI Pit Bulls are not large breeds. They are a medium breed. They are a very strong breed and have a lot of power for their size.

BrainH was talking about educated and responsible Pit Bull owners. Which obviously this guy wasn't so educated and shouldn't have a Pit if he can't keep other people's dogs safe. #1 rule of owning a Pit is Never trust a Pit Bull not to fight. So he already became casual about that. The 2 dogs playing together no big deal, but he should expect that a fight could happen at any time, just because they are friends doesn't mean one won't happen.
Secondly while you would hope your dog does never fight you should be able to break a fight quick and easy. You should at least know how to break up a fight even if you never experienced it. Most owners panic and freak out. If it took 3 guys then he obviously didn't know how to do that and was unprepared. I keep a breaking stick in my car so it would be with me where ever I am and I could retrieve it is needed. Never had to yet, but its just a precaution. Not just because of my dogs, you never know how many losers let their aggressive dogs leash free that will jump one of my Pits who will be very capable of defending themselves. Fights are hard to separate alone and I've done it before, but with 2 people it should be very easy and quick. Each grabs a dog and your done. So I don't understand the whole 3 guy thing when the other dog wasn't even a Pit Bull (right?) so it should have been very easy to stop.

I agree with this post you made about opinions. We all have breeds we like or dislike, but when people make unfair generalizations thats not right.

I have even caught my husband doing this!! I was looking into getting another Belgian and he's all like well I'm not real sure. Why? They are not unstable or untrustworthy, as I gave my rebuttal of his their temperament reply. What was his Why did that one in Petco bite that lady just because she tried to pet him? That is the same crap people say about Pit Bulls that he is always defending, yet he will judge another breed by one incident. I said how was that dog bred, raised, trained, socialized? Of course he couldn't say for sure. There is no reason to give into fear of any breed by one incident.

It always surprises me people who own coined "dangerous dogs" are so against each others breeds. I met an irresponsible Rottweiler owner who trained his Rotts to attack on command and told his grand daughter the commands of which she used one once and his friend jumped on and given a non bite attack which his collar bone was broken. He was telling me this story and thinking it was funny! However he doesn't like or trust Pit Bulls because one person had theirs come after him and he shot the dog and it kept coming. Ok well I guess that other guy shouldn't like any Rottweiler since he's trained his to do different attacks and acts like its a game and funny to do to his friends.

My Mom the same way. When I talking to her that I wasn't sure if we should get another Boerboel and that I really wanted to work with the Corso's I was asking for her opinion and just making convo. She's usually good to talk to about dogs. What response did I get this time. "I don't know, they are both dangerous" This is coming from another Pit Bull owner. I'm not sure if she was just joking or if she was serious. Then she said, Cane Corso oh thats the breed that killed that lady in CA isn't it? Um no that was a Presa Canario, but what difference does it make? Pit Bulls have attacked people in her area but she still owns them.

Mom2Five it seems the Bully Breeds just get Bullied.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:25 AM

Angry Investigator shoots pit bull in Pasadena

[LEFT]By LISA BEISEL Staff Writer
[SIZE=1]Subscribe to the Maryland Gazette[/SIZE]

Ryan Scott knew his dog was going to die when he held him in his arms yesterday morning.

The Pasadena man came home on his lunch break to let his 7 month-old pit bull, Hershey, outside. Within a few moments, the dog would be shot by a man identified as a Social Security investigator after the animal got loose."I picked him up and I knew he was going to die," Mr. Scott said.

Cpl. Mark Shawkey, county police spokesman, said officers who arrived at Mr. Scott's home on Colony Road at just after 11 a.m. found a official from the Office of the Inspector General.He told them he was investigating a Social Security case. They did not release his name last night.The investigator told police he warned the person who answered the door several times to call the dog and that the animal chased after him.

Police said the animal, which weighed 50 to 60 pounds, was shot at very close range, with the shot fired almost straight down. No charges have been filed.Dorothy Clark, spokesman for the Social Security Administration, said yesterday afternoon that her office had not been informed of the incident. She was unable to say if anyone from the Office of Inspector General was in Pasadena yesterday. The office investigates cases where a Social Security number is fraudulently used to obtain benefits.

Mr. Scott said he wasn't outside when the dog was shot. Hershey, seeing company coming to call, was excited and jumped up on the inspector playfully, he said.He and his girlfriend, Christina Ballard, raised Hershey after keeping him from a litter. They found homes for all the other dogs, but kept Hershey because of his chocolate brown fur.

Despite the reputation of pit bulls as aggressive dogs, Mr. Scott and his brother-in-law, Josh Preissler, said Hershey has never gone after anyone."He didn't really bark at strangers. He's never bitten anyone or anything," said Mr. Preissler. "He's a very well-behaved dog and he usually listens."Mr. Scott agreed."Everybody would probably say he's a lover... He always wants to jump and play and kiss," Mr. Scott said.

Mr. Scott took his dog to Huffard Animal Hospital in Pasadena, where veterinarians told him the shot was fired from a distance. The gunshot shattered Hershey's spine and punctured his lung, Mr. Scott said.

Although Hershey was alive when he Scott arrived at the hospital, veterinarians told Mr. Scott that his dog was in a lot of pain."There was no sense in keeping him alive. It was just torturing him," he said.

Both Mr. Preissler and Mr. Scott argue that if the inspector had time to call off the dog, there was no need to shoot him."Obviously he wasn't in imminent danger," Mr. Preissler said.Mr. Scott's sister had called the dog, who was running back toward the house with his back to the inspector, Mr. Scott said."He definitely made the wrong call. The dog wasn't even doing nothing," he said.Mr. Scott said that he thought pit bulls get a bad reputation, but he has two others and doesn't worry about the baby his girlfriend is carrying being around the dogs.

"I believe because he was a pit, they shot him," Mr. Scott said.
----------------------

If he wasn't a pit bull, that puppy would still be alive. He would not have been shot [/LEFT]

Old 10-25-2007, 09:35 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,417,165 times
Every dog should be registerd and licesnsed by the local Gov regardless of breed. All the fees should be the same. License fees help fund much needed Animal Control positions! I think cats should be too, they are a huge problem in our area.

I had a Great Pyrenese and loved it, now he was a large breed. I love the larger stronger breeds. Id have no interest in owning a small dog of any size. Personal preference is personal preference.

Sad story Mom2Five.

Recently (last few months) my friend moved to his new house and he saw two squad cars parked right outside with lights flashing, guns drawn and whatever. He opened his door and was promptly told to shut the door as they had a dangerous pitbull cornered. My friend went outside only to have a scared pitbull run up to him and lick him.

These my friends, are the people that are helping BSL rape our cities and states alike. I told Animal Control about this and he said that they are not trained. Your average cop knows nothing about Animal Control but on occasions are told to deal with it. And with them lapping up the hype too, its inevitable more dogs will be killed too.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Recently (last few months) my friend moved to his new house and he saw two squad cars parked right outside with lights flashing, guns drawn and whatever. He opened his door and was promptly told to shut the door as they had a dangerous pitbull cornered. My friend went outside only to have a scared pitbull run up to him and lick him.

These my friends, are the people that are helping BSL rape our cities and states alike. I told Animal Control about this and he said that they are not trained. Your average cop knows nothing about Animal Control but on occasions are told to deal with it. And with them lapping up the hype too, its inevitable more dogs will be killed too.
That poor baby

Yes, those are the people helping BSL take hold everywhere. I don't see it getting any better, I don't see any end to it. I just hope to God that there remains at least a few places in this country where we can live in peace with the breeds of our choice.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:08 AM

200 posts, read 888,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by APBT_Samara View Post
How would it halt BSL when it is BSL. Any law or legislation which restricts, bans or discriminates against a specific breed or breeds is breed specific legislation-BSL. I would fight any BSL like that. I will not be discriminated against because I own a Pit Bull!!! I will stand up for my rights. That is called BSL when only Bully breed owners have to license. There are so many other breeds that can be potentially dangerous that it is insane to target Bully owners. APBTs are usually people friendly, even when raised wrong, yet there are other breeds that without major training, extensive exposure and socialization they could be unpredictable and even lethal. So why is no one proposing mandatory license for Belgian Malinois, Cane Corso, Presa Canario, Boerboel, Caucasian Ovcharka, Akita, heck why not even Rottweiler and Chow owners, ect????

OMG...LMAO Make sure that is has not been made animal aggressive. Please learn about Bully breeds and APBTs before you make such comments. They can be naturally dog aggressive and have high prey drives. Try picking up a book or reading a breed site. This means they might want to fight another dog or kill a small animal. The same holds true for other breeds. This is no reason to take someone's pet, no reason to make sure they are not like this, no reason to keep the dog, no reason to PTS the dog. This is just ridiculous. So if the dog happens to be animal aggressive I guess they kill it? Instead of adopting him/her out. Watch out all Bully owners, seems more like genocide. They need to go after many breeds then Bully because many others can be animals aggressive. Again BSL, several Jack Russel Terriers I know will kill small animals but I guess those owners don't need a license so they don't have to worry about their breeds natural instincts.

We aren't allowed to have people aggressive Bully Breeds but its ok for the mastiff and shepherd owners. That makes sense. NOT

What experts exactly are going to give out these license and pass applicants? Probably ones that don't know anything about the breed and believe "Pit Bulls are only mean when trained to fight" crap. So basically we're doomed yet again.

In almost any city now you have to register your dogs and have a rabies shot. Most people just don't do it and its not enforced. Some places also have mandatory spay/neuter which is also not enforced and kennel license to sell pups yet not enforced. They already have enough laws that they do not enforce. Even places with one bite and dangerous dog laws that doesn't target breeds little is done when reported to enforce it. They just blow it off.

They would have to make any pet owner get a license for it to not be BSL and that takes too much time when they don't even enforce the other laws. I mean in some places the BSL isn't even enforced because people are still getting attacked by Pit Bulls and other breeds that are banned in that area. If things keep going the way they are I will probably move to another country.
Wow, I apologize for posting my opinion.

I know they can be naturally animal-aggressive, but I suppose I meant that they needed to be examined if the dog had been used for dogfighting, or were intentionally trained to be aggressive towards any other animals.

I also meant that any dog that has ever been "shown to have aggression towards people" as a bully breed, I suppose I should have been more specific. This would include the Chows, the Akitas, Mastiffs (which I've always seen those included as "bully breeds" anyway).

Working where I do, I know that people will always call a loose dog a "Pit Bull" whether it is or not. If people have to provide some documentation on their pets to show they are responsible pet owners, what is wrong with that?

Apparently, you missed where I would have to be included in being licensed because my dog (although not purebred) is AmStaff Terrier. It's an accountability issue, not a "targeted demographic" issue. If my dog escapes my yard and bites a little kid, I would want to be held responsible for my dog's actions. (Not that he would, he's too scared to leave the yard, and the worst aggressive action he's ever done is bark like a maniac.)

Anyone can be a dog owner, and that's what is sad. There are people who own dogs that shouldn't own dogs.

I apologize, I didn't really specify my point very well, but you know nothing about me, so don't attack my opinion and make me out to be some sort of idiot about the breed I own.

Most of the BSL that is showing up today is saying that people simply CANNOT OWN any breed of APBT, AmStaff's, or Staffies. I simply want to make dog owners more responsible.

Geez! If I had known I was going to be attacked, I'd have just left without posting at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs