Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think about the APBT
All 'pitbull' type dogs should be banned/euthanized. 19 21.84%
Each dog should be judged by their own behavior, not by breed. It's bad owners that make bad dogs. 65 74.71%
I'm not sure, but would like to learn more. 2 2.30%
None of the above, I will explain in my post. 1 1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 11:35 AM

216 posts, read 830,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedie80 View Post
Anyone can be a dog owner, and that's what is sad. There are people who own dogs that shouldn't own dogs.
Unfortunately so true

And we read stories about "bad" ownership nearly every day...yet people still get mad at rescues and shelters that want to check them out before allowing them to adopt an animal

Old 10-25-2007, 02:42 PM

1,179 posts, read 8,712,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedie80 View Post
Wow, I apologize for posting my opinion.

I know they can be naturally animal-aggressive, but I suppose I meant that they needed to be examined if the dog had been used for dogfighting, or were intentionally trained to be aggressive towards any other animals.

I also meant that any dog that has ever been "shown to have aggression towards people" as a bully breed, I suppose I should have been more specific. This would include the Chows, the Akitas, Mastiffs (which I've always seen those included as "bully breeds" anyway).

Working where I do, I know that people will always call a loose dog a "Pit Bull" whether it is or not. If people have to provide some documentation on their pets to show they are responsible pet owners, what is wrong with that?

Apparently, you missed where I would have to be included in being licensed because my dog (although not purebred) is AmStaff Terrier. It's an accountability issue, not a "targeted demographic" issue. If my dog escapes my yard and bites a little kid, I would want to be held responsible for my dog's actions. (Not that he would, he's too scared to leave the yard, and the worst aggressive action he's ever done is bark like a maniac.)

Anyone can be a dog owner, and that's what is sad. There are people who own dogs that shouldn't own dogs.

I apologize, I didn't really specify my point very well, but you know nothing about me, so don't attack my opinion and make me out to be some sort of idiot about the breed I own.

Most of the BSL that is showing up today is saying that people simply CANNOT OWN any breed of APBT, AmStaff's, or Staffies. I simply want to make dog owners more responsible.

Geez! If I had known I was going to be attacked, I'd have just left without posting at all.
You do not need to apologize for your opinion. I'm not attacking you, someone disagreeing and having a different opinion shouldn't be taken as an attack. Unfounded opinions though can hurt the breed and restricts my freedom if its acted upon. It is important to be clear when posting, otherwise it is easy to misconstrue what you are meaning, well because the full picture isn't there.

You simply said has been make people or animal aggressive. So that is how I read it. If it was meant differently I had no way of knowing in the original post.
In this post though it states "needed to be examined if the dog had been used for dogfighting, or were intentionally trained to be aggressive towards any other animals." There is no way to know this by examining. You can't know if the dog is naturally dog aggressive or has been trained/encouraged to be dog aggressive. So this would be an unrealistic proposal. Now they are going to start taking our dogs from our homes to make sure we are raising them right. They should do this will children next, since we raise more murders in this country then dogs that kill.

How will they know if its used in dog fighting? I have seen fighting dogs with very little scaring and minimal dog aggressive. Then I've seen house pets with new pronounced scaring and super aggro. So that just leaves us with the problem, its all at these "experts" discretion. They have no real way of knowing 100% in many cases, so they just make the call. Just like in England where true Staffys were taken and either killed as being APBTs even though they were not or taken to be examined by "experts" to determine if they will die or not. In some cases giving back in horrific conditions of starving or sick, just like the places here (yup in the US) who hold Pit Bulls. They are supposed to be for the "prevention of cruelty" yet when it comes to Pit Bulls SOME (not all) don't care so they neglect the dogs while in their care and give them back.

A Bully breed is a Bully breed (Bulldog or Pit Bull), just because ignorant politicians, law makers, general public includes other breeds as Bully Breeds or Pit Bulls, doesn't mean we should give into that. People need to be educated instead of agreeing with them. I'm not sure where you have always seen those included as Bully breeds. My Boerboel and Cani Corso are not Bully breeds, mastiffs or even molossers but not bullies. They wouldn't be considered bully breeds by any educated dog person. Yet it is the general public and politicians who are making these laws for us and whatever they say seem to go even though its inaccurate.

"I also meant that any dog that has ever been "shown to have aggression towards people" as a bully breed" So what does this mean. You said if it was made to be people aggressive before? Now if it has shown to be people aggressive? Does this mean they take it away because it acts human aggressive? Or they find this our after they take it away? Letting these experts have a hay day I guess.
Breeds like Mastiff, Chow, Akita, naturally aloof and people aggressive. If I had a Fila that wasn't human aggressive that'd be against the norm, I'm sure the same would go for Neos. If my Boerboel was not defensive and showed no drive the dog would not be living up to his breed. So these breeds are falling under bully breed and not to be "made" animal or human aggressive and somehow they have a way of determining if it is natural or trained?

It is true that people might say a dog that bites is a Pit Bull, so don't re-enforce their wrong thinking. Education works on some part, more so the showing along with it. I've rendered many opinions thanks to my dogs. My talking alone wouldn't do much but seeing is believing. Others are a lost cause.

Anyone can own a dog, sad as that might be. That shouldn't infringe on our rights as Bully breed owners. If they are going to do this it should be for ALL dog owners. They need to enforce dangerous dog laws and all other dog laws. Instead of making more laws that they can't enforce. It would cut down problems with bully breeds and all dogs in general if they just enforced the laws they already made.

I think what you don't realize is that restriction is just the start of it and not an end. It is done to pacify both sides in this political game. The fearful public sees they are doing "something" and "anything" about Pit Bulls and the Pit Bulls people give in to oh "at least we can keep our dog".

There are full breed bans being passed, but in many places they have restrictions being passed. KCMO was the most recent I know, but there are other cities which also have restrictions. Which includes one or more of the following, licensing your Pit Bull as a dangerous dog, having a high fence with stakes, muzzling your dog in public, having no longer then a 4ft lead, having x amount of liability insurance (which you have to pay for even though you don't actually have a dangerous dog), where a certain color collar (so people know your dog is dangerous, usually bright orange), spay/neuter unless you show (thats actually a good one which should apply to all breeds).

In a town in CA where a show judge lives, she informed us of the Nazi type policy the AC recently enacted on its own (this was not something the city approved or knew about). Going door to door to Pit Bull owners homes (of course they know where the Pits are now) and asking to see all Pit Bulls. They then inspect them to "make sure they are not fighting dogs". All that means is if they want to say you have a fighting dog they can take it, whether thats true or not. Who knows what bigger things lie to come, in more restrictions or a possible ban for that community.

I didn't miss the part where your dog would also be included, I don't think you are a hypocrite I never insinuated that.

Old 12-14-2007, 04:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,528 times
all i know is... try and take my dog... you have to go through me first. my dogs are family members. bsl is bullsh*t. try and take my dog, try and dodge my bullet.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:00 AM

1,930 posts, read 10,175,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettbuckeye View Post
all i know is... try and take my dog... you have to go through me first. my dogs are family members. bsl is bullsh*t. try and take my dog, try and dodge my bullet.
Haha! Great post! My husband and I feel the same way! We love our three APBTs as if they were our children and we would do anything for them! Our dogs are great dogs. No they aren't perfect, but no dog is! They definitely are not mean though, that's for sure! Our dogs have been well trained and properly socialized, and they are extremely friendly! There is no reason, what-so-ever, for anyone to take our dogs from us. We are good, responsible dog owners and our dogs are great dogs, there is no way we would give them up!

Old 02-15-2008, 11:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,484 times
Default i love my PITBULL!

funny how people think a breed ban solves anything...
i have a red nose APBT who is an ANGEL dog. he loves everyone...people and other animals alike. any dog has the potential to b dangerous...that is why it is so important to train, socialize and treat animals correctly.
and by the way....In 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, and 2006 according to the American Temperament Test Society breed statistics, the "pit bull" (American pit bull terrier, American Staffordshire and Staffordshire bull) out performed the golden retriever, a breed noted for its gentle temperament.
so...basically anyone who supports breed bans is ignorant and un-educated...
why punish a dog when an animal reflects upon its owner...people and their stupidity are the real problem here...too bad we just cant euthenize the bad owners...

Old 02-18-2008, 01:14 PM

7 posts, read 105,997 times
Default where at in florida are pitbulls banned ?

we are movin to florida and we have 2 pitbulls and want to know where they are not banned

Old 02-18-2008, 04:02 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,417,165 times
If you are thinking of moving, best bet it to call the City Hall and County office that you are moving to to ask them about any BSL in place, and any proposed BSL.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:42 PM

13 posts, read 29,684 times
Default to lovebeingme about landlords

Landlords are buisy and cant do their own research so they go by the media and insurance companies who also go by the media. What you can do is invite many landlords to National Pit bull awareness day in a center or place atleast somewhat near you oct 25th. There they can hear the truth vs myths about pit bulls from people who did the research for them and they can get brochures about the truth vs myths. So invite your landlord and call animal places near you to see who will be participating this year.

Old 04-05-2008, 01:52 PM

Default To vetgnc

I totally agree with you. The only really viscious dog we ever met was a chiauau doxi mix who attacked my daughter and our friend and the blood on the walls was not from the dog or anyones ankles. My daughter is a shelter volunteer and she has been trained for attacks etc and has been attacked by a pom too but she was able to rehabilitate the pom and they are best friends now. She has yet to be even nibbed on by a pit. Still I dont blame all chiuauas or doxis. She is actually petsitting some really nice doxis now and some chis who do bite ankles but she wears jeans and thick socks when walking them.Training didnt seem to work with even the most expert trainers.
When she got attacked by the dog who couldnt be rehabilitated by her, we had to go to the shelter and play with pitties to get destressed.
We needed to get scarred of the chiaua and doxi mixes. We had met lots of nice chis before and because of that were just terrified of the doxi in the mix.
This helped us understand why people who think they were attacked by a pit bull/lab mix are terrified of the pit bull in the dog and in all dogs.
I am my daughters backup for her petsitting but I told her I wont be back up for the chis.Not those chis anyway. We are still nervous about that mix but we know its not the breed. Still you cant help the way you feel.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:30 PM

Default if you take the test

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointermom View Post
I meant to put each dog should be judged on it's own.

I think people fear what they don't know. They should be afraid of some of the pitts around, and the rotties, and the dobies because of their owners. ANd unfortunately, some are not bred for their temperament. I do worry about some of the breeds, like cane corsos and dogos. because I don't think they have been in the mainstream long enough and they still have too many of their original instincts. They could stand to be more domesticated. I know, each dog should be judged on it's own and not by it's breed tough. I woulnd't ban them, I am just wary.
frankly, the yappy little dogs are usually meaner.

I hate that everyone knows what a "pitt bull" is. Technically what most people call a pitt bull is a staffordshire terrier. Pitt bull was the term used for dogs that fought in a pitt - not necessarily a staffordshire.

Here is an AWESOME test. This is one of the best things I have seen to sow why there shouldn't be breed bans. People don't even know what the dogs are.
Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull
If you take the test you will see 25 of the many more breeds that are mistaken for a pit bull which includes labs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs