Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 07:49 AM

2 posts, read 5,559 times

Advertisements

I never put all my eggs in one basket. I am not relying 100% on any program. There is no perfect program for anyone. I'm simply stating that the responsibility - and the success - is determined only by what you are willing to put into it. They do not tell you NOT to exercise, they simply state that you can still lose without it. The person I met with is an advocate of exercise. There are different programs for different people and I believe if you are obese to the point where exercise is not an option, then they can provide you with the help you need to get to a level where you can incorporate exercise. It's always encouraged, but not necessarily required for everyone to be successful. In my opinion, they offer the guidelines, the accountability and the "tweaks" to adjust things when plateaus hit. I never stated it was the correct approach -- just an option - because not everything works for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 11:45 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,696,275 times
I personally know 4 people who have done this plan, and they all had the same results:

1) Lost a bunch of weight steadily over 6 months and achieved a great goal. Looked great
2) all 4 have gained anywhere from 50%-100+% of the weight back
3) all have struggled to understand how to incorporate the principles that helped them lose the weight without the motivation of having dropped $600 and an accountability partner

This plan helped my wife go from 144 lbs down to 119 for our wedding. In that sense, it was great, we have lasting pictures of her on that special day, and she looks the best she ever has. She now ranges from 128-136 lbs at any given moment (Slimgenics (Slim4life)) was 8 years ago now.

What I don't like is the following:
1) Its a ketosis, calorie restricted diet. They work in the short term, but always fail in the long term. Ketosis is basically a sick state for your body. You're effectively tricking your body into a survival mode of sorts
2) They push suppliments
3) Part of the key is having an accountability partner that is not your friend, and knowing you just dropped $600. Dropping $600 is such a great motivator to success, this is really one of the keys.

2 coworkers that I know did the program in the past, are not actually bigger than when they started. This is obviously because you can live off no carbs and 1200 cals a day for the rest of your life. Once again, my dad and my wife have put maybe half of the weight back on, others all of it and then some. In a way, the ketosis diet messes with you and teaches your body that they only way to eat is an unsustainable one. So, I'm mixed about it I guess.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:34 AM

2 posts, read 6,042 times
I am a success story for Slim4Life, and I take great offense to bad reviews...Listen people, here's the deal....Being overweight is such a private struggle, and it takes dedication, motivation and a lifestyle change to make it happen...For people like myself who really want to lose the weight, are not comfortable in a gym, and have tried all types of fad diets and have failed, Slim4Life is a perfect solution....when I signed up I was so ready, I wasn't surprised that the cost was more than the ad suggested...being a consumer you have to know you can't lose 30 lbs for 30.00.....or 9.00 a week....I was explained what the supplements were, why they were part of the program, and in order to maintain the GUARANTEE I would have to continue to purchase the required supplements...anyone one that says they were misinformed, is not being truthful...accountability is everything, the counseling is essential for success....and yes they do care, they call when you don't come in, they are encouraging, share recipe ideas, I personally looked forward to going....I hate scales, but seeing that number drop every week was so darn exciting....76 lbs in 26 weeks, just like my guarantee promised,,,and when I broke it down it cost me 61.00 a week....I actually saved money, no more diet coke, eating out, or buying boxed processed food. Slim4Life taught me portion control, and it was life changing for me...when I finished my program the manager of the center suggested I get a job as a counselor,,,and I did.....it was a wonderful opportunity to help people feel as good as I do....I worked for a little over a year, and if my husbands job had not transfered us back to NC, I would still be there...
Let me share what I saw as a counselor....first I would like to state I totally understand buyers remorse,,,,I have experienced it many times....had it when I first signed up for Slim4Life, but I have a GUARENTEE , in writing, so I decided to just do it...I have to say I did have an advantage over other counselors since I did finished the program...I was an exceptional client, did everything I was supposed to..and the clients that I saw who followed the program did lost their weight, some quicker than the time allowed, it was a terrific journey...and these people got off of prescription medications, they became healthier...it blew my mind seeing how losing weight was reversing some serious health issues....BUT, there were just as many clients who would not follow the plan, excuses , OMG, it was painful to listen to, but I did....
Don't listen to anyone saying this program is a scam, they either didn't give it a chance, or wouldn't follow it, and that is a fact..
I own a small Hair Salon and have for 25 years, running a business is a huge responsibility, hats off to the owners to Slim4Life for managing 15 centers. I saw counselors who had little to no work ethics, it was very sad to see, but more that cared and enjoyed their jobs.
The ads that get you in the door is the opportunity to explain the value of this program to fully understand what it entails....
In the beginning I stated how I disliked bad reviews, well, let me share this....we are a Marine Corps family, we opened the salon in 1990, and with 3 children to raise we decided to stay put while my husband deployed....I have a passion for my business, it is wonderful to help people feel great about how they look...Every Nov the Marine Corps celebrates it's birthday by having a formal ball...our clients book their appointments as soon as they know their exact date, and this can be 4 months out...we had this beautiful young lady walk into the salon wanting to make an appointment for the next day for the ball, when I explained we were already booked, she explained that she just flew in from out of state and this was her first ball with her finace...I tried to explain to her that our clients book ahead for the ball, well, it went from bad to worse, this girl was furious...I maintained my composure, even told her the names of other salons, she insisted that she was told we were the best salon and she wanted her appointment here..she left, and wrote the nastiest review, it was awful, and not one word of truth..I was crushed, and decided to not look at reviews any longer.
I came across this blog by accident, but felt compelled to share my story....
And for the record, Doctors approve this diet everyday for clients with all sorts of medical issues, if people are 100% honest about all health issues past and present,medications,and allergies, they would rightfully qualify..
Be fair, give it a chance, be committed. ...

Old 02-02-2016, 07:51 AM

2 posts, read 6,042 times
Here again is a common problem about weight loss,,,once people lose their weight they think they are cured and resume the unhealthy eating patterns that made them gain weight to begin with...you can't blame that on your weight loss program, take accountability....and Slim4Life does allow you to eat 2-4 servings of starches everyday....when you are finished with your weight loss and go into the maintenance portion that is part of your program, you learn to add back in the food that was not allowed during weight loss....there were plenty of clients I saw that continued their maintenance and maintained their weight years after their program ended....
For people who are committed to their health and well being, there is a formula to understanding how many calories you need to maintain your ideal weight....and other contributing factors to take into consideration, exercise being one...because we all have different health issues, body types, and eating issues, there is no one size fits all programs out there...Let's face it folks, every celebration is a food fest, when we overeat we will gain....when you learn to eat the right foods, keep that scale handy to check if you are getting out of control, and then know how to get back on track , you will never gain an excess amount of weight....That's what Slim4Life teaches people.....again, be committed, maintaining a healthy weight is a better choice than poor health,,,,

Old 02-02-2016, 01:55 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,518,593 times
Quote:
The ads that get you in the door is the opportunity to explain the value of this program to fully understand what it entails....
This is what I have a huge problem with. It's the classic bait-and-switch, and if I were in charge of things, this would be highly illegal, punishable by long prison terms. It's immoral, it's wrong, it's a lot of things I shouldn't mention on a family-friendly forum.

I've lost 11 pounds in 4 weeks, and my cost has been zero - that's right, ~zero~ dollars. I just keep track of what I eat, and limit my calories, while maintaining a balanced diet (you know, keeping the protein and fiber high, limiting sugar and refined carbs.) Oh yeah, exercise helps too.

It really is that simple - seriously.

Save your $600, or a thousand or two large or more (!) - and do it the old-fashioned way - log your calories and maintain a deficit until you've achieved your desired weight level.

It really is that simple.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:35 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny1177 View Post
Here again is a common problem about weight loss,,,once people lose their weight they think they are cured and resume the unhealthy eating patterns that made them gain weight to begin with...you can't blame that on your weight loss program, take accountability....and Slim4Life does allow you to eat 2-4 servings of starches everyday....when you are finished with your weight loss and go into the maintenance portion that is part of your program, you learn to add back in the food that was not allowed during weight loss....there were plenty of clients I saw that continued their maintenance and maintained their weight years after their program ended....
For people who are committed to their health and well being, there is a formula to understanding how many calories you need to maintain your ideal weight....and other contributing factors to take into consideration, exercise being one...because we all have different health issues, body types, and eating issues, there is no one size fits all programs out there...Let's face it folks, every celebration is a food fest, when we overeat we will gain....when you learn to eat the right foods, keep that scale handy to check if you are getting out of control, and then know how to get back on track , you will never gain an excess amount of weight....That's what Slim4Life teaches people.....again, be committed, maintaining a healthy weight is a better choice than poor health,,,,
Weight Watchers teaches you how to prepare and eat real food and is focused on a lifestyle change, not just a short term solution.
Or as the other poster said, monitor what you are eating yourself. No need to spend hundreds of dollars for something that is bound to fail.
There are also really good FREE sites on the internet where you can be supported and get information.

Old 02-02-2016, 02:43 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,557,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
This is what I have a huge problem with. It's the classic bait-and-switch, and if I were in charge of things, this would be highly illegal, punishable by long prison terms. It's immoral, it's wrong, it's a lot of things I shouldn't mention on a family-friendly forum.

I've lost 11 pounds in 4 weeks, and my cost has been zero - that's right, ~zero~ dollars. I just keep track of what I eat, and limit my calories, while maintaining a balanced diet (you know, keeping the protein and fiber high, limiting sugar and refined carbs.) Oh yeah, exercise helps too.

It really is that simple - seriously.

Save your $600, or a thousand or two large or more (!) - and do it the old-fashioned way - log your calories and maintain a deficit until you've achieved your desired weight level.

It really is that simple.
Preach! Me too! Down 26 pounds by counting my calories on Lose It! If the person who just came here to say how great the program worked for them, great! But I have to wonder if it was a placebo or they just need hand holding. $600 hand holding. No thanks.

Old 03-01-2016, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,895 times
Sidevan, just curious. Your last post was back in June 2015 and i am just wondering how you are doing? I have read all of your post and I am quite impressed with your progress and you attitude, through thick or thin you push forward and never look back. Congratulations for a job will done and inspiring so many people to do the same and that is to take control of your life. Never letting negative comments get in the way. You live in Plano and i am in Grand Prairie and i have heard so many commercial on slim4 life that just left doubts but now I think i will look into it now. My goal is to weight 170lbs that means I have to lose 30 to 40 lbs .... wish me luck

Old 04-16-2016, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 5,513 times
Hello everyone. I will share my results. I am not being compensated in any way for this testimonial. I started Slim4life on January 13, 2014 weighing in 276# (I was just happy I wasn't at 300 where I had been in June 2000). By Christmas 2014 I weighed in at 190# a mere 10# away from my goal. Do I think the program works, yes! Is it sustainable, that is were I am most challenged. Before I go there I will tell you this: I did absolutely NO exercise until October 2014 when I seemed to hit a plateau. The only weight I lifted was what was on my fork.

To make the program work for me, I would buy large packages of chicken breast and divide them into 6 oz portions and freeze them in individual servings. Same with frozen vegetables so that packing my lunch would be less burdensome. I am totally and completely NOT a morning person. So I would grab a chicken pack, veggie pack, piece of fruit, 2 slices of melba toast, and then pack my supplements.

As far as sustainable goes, I am challenged now because it is tough not to enjoy a burger or beer once in a while. It's fine when you're focused on getting the weight off and you know it will be a limited time. What I've experienced is that one "splurge" can take a couple of days maybe even an entire week to un-do the damage. So suffice to say you have to re-program your thinking to realize your changing your lifestyle permanently. Some of us (guess I am including myself here) are stubborn or somewhat resistant.

Fast-forward to April 2016, I am hovering around 220 now and have good weeks and marginal weeks. While it is frustrating sometimes, I am still very thankful I am not where I was, and I'm not staying here forever.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:01 AM

2 posts, read 5,513 times
One added comment specifically about the products at Slim4life...I just have to say they are the backbone of this business and quite expensive. A week supply (one a day) of protein bars retails at $17. Yes they do taste good, but come on. There are far more cost-effective choices available. If you're looking to hold S4L to their guarantee however, you'll have to use their products exclusively, more than likely.

I have been using "Pure Protein" brand bars from Wal-Mart or Target for less than $1.20 a bar and the weight of the bar is larger which is key for me since it is my breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss