Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2007, 11:47 AM

385 posts, read 1,575,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
It almost feels anti-climatic now. When people expect the Rockies to win, it isn't as exciting.

They need this long layover (8 days) and a nice World Series road game stage to bring back that EDGE! They need to be the underdog and have the pressure on to do what they've done for the last 22 games.

This is definitely history book stuff. But what's really cool about it is what you've mentioned; they're a class bunch of guys and they were 4th in the NL West for a long time. The only team in that division that was well out of it was the Giants. The Rockies were playing crazy since the All Star break and winning series from teams like the Yankees and the Red Sockies! That's when I started to take notice.

The Rockies aren't a team that sweeps anybody in the league, much less teams in the Divisional League or World! Just to see them win 2 of 3 fairly consistently has been exciting.

But you're right, MaddieClaire. We need to get behind this team whether they win the WS or not. What they've done has already been incredible. I, for one, want them to go out there and watch them sweep this thing! I fully expected them to do that to the Phillies and Diamondbacks because I've been paying attention to them lately. That's what they do! They practically did that to the Diamondbacks on the run to get to post season play, but they lost like their 12th of 13th game. But Destiny would do some trippy stuff to keep things going.

The Mets would blow a 6.5 game lead and Milwaukee would take the last two from the Padres in dramatic fashion (rally in the 9th inning to beat the Padres in the last game)! Controversy or not in the play-in game, That was one wicked game! The Rockies HAVE TO win that game! They jump out to a pretty good lead then SMACK! The Padres hit a grand slam. The Rockies get back into it and get a 1 run lead. Holliday makes one little mistake and it's tied up. In the 13th inning, the Padres score 2 runs! The Rockies are ONE PITCH AWAY from elimination! The Rockies rally and pick up the two runs. They dig out of that hole and just do what the hell they have to do to win!

So, it's easy to see why Denver expects no less. But the streak's gotta end somewhere, right? BS! It doesn't have to. It's not like flipping a coin. These players and coaches have WILL! They've got GUTS! They just come at you till the last pitch of the last inning and they don't care if you throw the Sun in their face, Rain, Snow, Bottles (well, maybe Hurdle a little bit), long layovers... They've got INTENT! They just don't want to lose anymore. They refuse. They've gone on a losing strike!

I just hope they win it in 4 and I'm calling it right now. Because when they lose a game it drives them really nuts! If they should lose a game, they'll just come back and get MEDIEVAL ON THEIR OPPONENT'S AGHGHGHHGGHG$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And we don't want that! Hey, I'm no baseball expert. I just like to watch and enjoy. I haven't been able to do this for 20 years. All I got to see was the Yankees beat my Dodgers. I still remember most every player from that team. Now, I see the Rockies as the Big Bad Yankees! But they're kind of the Low-Budget Yankees, or the Minimum-Wage Yankees! Yeah, I like that!
Awesome, Awesome, Awesome, post!
Very well said, Mcgowdog, very well said!

Old 10-17-2007, 11:52 AM

385 posts, read 1,575,671 times
On a side note:
I would love to see a Rockies-Cleveland World Series.
Anyone else have a preference?

It was announced today that Rockies home game World Series tickets will be sold online only... W00-H00! Now everyone has a chance to buy tickets.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:24 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddieClaire View Post
On a side note:

It was announced today that Rockies home game World Series tickets will be sold online only... W00-H00! Now everyone has a chance to buy tickets.
Not that it makes a difference but if Colorado played Cleveland it would probably be the least watched World Series ever.

Celizic: Rockies would be royalty if on East Coast - Baseball - MSNBC.com

Old 10-17-2007, 12:26 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,208 times
I would probably prefer Boston because it'd be easier to play up the David versus Goliath angle.

I don't think our Rockies players care much though. They'll take on anybody.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:48 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
I would probably prefer Boston because it'd be easier to play up the David versus Goliath angle.

I don't think our Rockies players care much though. They'll take on anybody.
I'd rather lose to Cleveland than lose to Boston. However, I'd rather beat Boston than beat Cleveland.

"Here's the pitch to Wilson. It's a ground ball to Buckner, This could do it....OOOOhhhh, It's between his legs..."

ESPN - OTL: 'The Buckner Play' -- 20 years later - MLB

Old 10-17-2007, 02:37 PM

18,009 posts, read 27,453,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddieClaire View Post
On a side note:

Thanks, Maddie! And thanks for the info about the tickets. I'll take six in the Rockpile!

I believe you'll get your wish with the Indians, unless the Sockies can pull out another ALCS miracle.

I would have liked to see that Knuckle-ball up here!

True-that, Charles! I'd rather beat Bastin than Cleveland. Can we hire Elway to go out and be the mascot? Maybe we can get Buckner in there too! Naw! It's more fun to rip-on Bastin Chowda Head. Pack da Caa nd git Mey a Beya.

Old 10-17-2007, 04:25 PM

456 posts, read 1,576,663 times
good god, I wonder how hard it's gonna be to get tickets online..

Old 10-22-2007, 10:54 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,974,208 times
So it is the Red Sox... I guess we should be careful what we wish for. Either Cleveland or Boston would have been tough, but I suppose if you're David, it's nice to get a chance to play against Goliath.

I don't think a single talking head on television is going to pick the rockies. Just like no one picked them to win our 1-game play-in versus San Diego. Or no one picked them to beat Philadelphia. No one picked them to beat Arizona either. Most commentators and sports writers are going to predict either a Boston sweep, or perhaps give the Rockies one home game. That's going to be as generous as we're going to get. I guess, to be fair, Boston has won the world Series, and Colorado hasn't even been there yet.

Colorado may or may not win, but I guarantee that they are not scared of the Red Sox.

It will likely be an entertaining series. Nice to have Denver excited about baseball again.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:25 PM

26,211 posts, read 49,027,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
So it is the Red Sox....Colorado may or may not win, but I guarantee that they are not scared of the Red Sox.
True! Rockies beat Boston 2 of 3 this past June - in Fenway. Outscored them 20 to 5. Beat both Beckett and Schilling. Rockies will play great ball, the series will be a fine one indeed. As I write this I'm trying to get tix online.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
True! Rockies beat Boston 2 of 3 this past June - in Fenway. Outscored them 20 to 5. Beat both Beckett and Schilling. Rockies will play great ball, the series will be a fine one indeed. As I write this I'm trying to get tix online.
Did you get any? I gave up after 1 1/2 hrs. My daughter's professor started a mid-term late so they (and he/she, probably) could try for tix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver