Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 06:17 PM

297 posts, read 743,305 times

Advertisements

Having never experienced a hurricane in Delaware, what should we expect? It is currently projected to go directly over us Sunday afternoon. When we lived in VA, the eye of Hurricane Isabelle went over us and it was pretty nasty. Localized flooding, widespread power outages...

We're in Middletown (well, Odessa). Are power outages likely during hurricanes? Of course I'll be stocking up on toilet paper, milk, and bread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 06:51 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,094 times
Yes, there may be power outages...but Delaware is on top of things like that. I have never, in my entire life, been without power for more than 18 hours.

Flooding happens sometimes as well, but I know flooding issues have been addressed in many problem areas (including my town). Just stock up on candles, batteries, and water, and you'll be just fine. My biggest worry when I hear about a storm is losing power, if that tells you anything. No internet and no showers = beachliz is NOT a happy camper.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:57 PM

700 posts, read 1,819,215 times
No big worries. When Isabelle hit years ago we were w/o power for a week. Heard the transformers blowing all night long and as I remember, we only had 60 mph winds. If you're a boater, different story. The Chesapeake stacked up and flooded so much of the Eastern Shore, MD. We saw cars floating in the parking lots, boats pushed through the covered sheds and where we were in Summit North Marina, Bear, the floating docks were about 10" from floating away. They have since extended the poles another 10' or so. We ended staying on our boat for the week due to elec out at the house. Lost the fridge and freezer stuff. Damage, none except for the transformers.
In comparison, nothing like FL (where we are moving.....).
As long as there are no big trees leaning where you live, you should be fine, cept for maybe power outages. A couple days at a close by hotel takes care of that.
I think the earthquake today will be more of a rememberance. I hope I'm right.
As long as it doesn't come up the Delaware river, surge shouldn't be an issue.
You are well inland (I actually work there) and should be fine. However, batteries, water and gassed up car is a must.
I'm feeling the same way. Many memories of Isabelle. We should be fine.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:12 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,094 times
No electric for a week--YIKES!!!!!!!!

Old 08-24-2011, 06:25 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
As far as the beach cities go, what areas are prone to flooding?

One good thing is there aren't that many huge trees. The trees there can do some damage, but not to the extent that may be seen in other cities where really heavy trees tower over older homes with older roofs.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:44 AM

700 posts, read 1,819,215 times
Got this link from a NC Coastal thread for storm surge.
Storm Surge Interactive Risk Maps

Old 08-24-2011, 07:02 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
As far as the beach cities go, what areas are prone to flooding?

One good thing is there aren't that many huge trees. The trees there can do some damage, but not to the extent that may be seen in other cities where really heavy trees tower over older homes with older roofs.
Low lying areas along the coastline are always prone to flooding, even in Kent County including Bowers Beach and the small fishing villages from New Castle County on down state.

Here in Kent County, our property has 6, over 100 yr. old English walnut trees bordering our lot. They are gigantic, and I do worry about those when we have storms.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:39 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Yes, there may be power outages...but Delaware is on top of things like that. I have never, in my entire life, been without power for more than 18 hours.

Flooding happens sometimes as well, but I know flooding issues have been addressed in many problem areas (including my town). Just stock up on candles, batteries, and water, and you'll be just fine. My biggest worry when I hear about a storm is losing power, if that tells you anything. No internet and no showers = beachliz is NOT a happy camper.
Check for hotels with generators in your area. I know a major Rehoboth hotel gives their employees and their families rooms during emergencies so that they are ready to go.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:47 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
No electric for a week--YIKES!!!!!!!!
I lived in Houston when Hurricane Ike hit a few years back. We were without electricity for 10 days, and we lived within three miles of downtown. Imagine trying to sleep with overnight temps in the high 70s, humidity to match and no breeze, no hot water, not being able to cook, etc. Worst of all, imagine waking up and not being able to have coffee! "Power envy" ensued as people in various parts of the city would have their electricity restored before others.

As bad as it was, folks in the country went even longer without power. Trust me, it's not pleasant. We do not need this in the Delaware Valley!

Old 08-24-2011, 08:13 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
I'm not keen on 'no lectric' either

Living around Amish people, we do feel pretty stupid when our power goes out for any length of time. The Amish happily go along - business as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware