Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2020, 11:36 AM

19,779 posts, read 18,073,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiping View Post
Test and track are only useful to obedient people. They never work for Millennials and GenZ in the United States.

Chicago Tribune: COVID-19 cases spike at University of Illinois after large weekend parties
‘Irresponsible and dangerous’ partying by some students leads University of Illinois to crack down on social activity and warn of suspensions as campus COVID-19 cases near 800.
Despite an expansive testing program and models that predicted how many COVID-19 cases would pop up on campus, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is confronting a grim reality shared by other colleges attempting to stay open: Partying among undergraduate students is leading to hundreds of more infections than anticipated, jeopardizing the in-person experience for everyone.
Jeez that's just sad.

Old 09-03-2020, 11:48 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,441,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiping View Post
Test and track are only useful to obedient people. They never work for Millennials and GenZ in the United States.

Chicago Tribune: COVID-19 cases spike at University of Illinois after large weekend parties
‘Irresponsible and dangerous’ partying by some students leads University of Illinois to crack down on social activity and warn of suspensions as campus COVID-19 cases near 800.
Despite an expansive testing program and models that predicted how many COVID-19 cases would pop up on campus, the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is confronting a grim reality shared by other colleges attempting to stay open: Partying among undergraduate students is leading to hundreds of more infections than anticipated, jeopardizing the in-person experience for everyone.
I'm shocked that people are surprised by these developments on college campuses. We have watched grown adults scream like babies over the social distancing rules yet we expect kids barely out of their teens to be the model of self discipline and restraint?

Old 09-03-2020, 01:29 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I'm shocked that people are surprised by these developments on college campuses. We have watched grown adults scream like babies over the social distancing rules yet we expect kids barely out of their teens to be the model of self discipline and restraint?

Right. We're talking about a huge swath of Americans across all generations.

Except maybe the War Generation. They remember wartime rationing. And they're in nursing homes.

Old 09-03-2020, 01:51 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Right. We're talking about a huge swath of Americans across all generations.

Except maybe the War Generation. They remember wartime rationing. And they're in nursing homes.
I would argue no generation has dealt with corona better or more courageously (At a great personal loss with very little upside) than Millennials.

For the most part we wear our masks and sheltered in place unlike Boomer Karens who had a cow about mask rules or sheltering in place or the younger Gen Z many of whom couldn't care less/ are just kids or early 20s.

In the long recovery it will be us millennials (again, just like that last time) who take the biggest hits to our careers since we are in our late 20s and 30s and got a slow start because of the Great Recession.

Old 09-03-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I would argue no generation has dealt with corona better or more courageously (At a great personal loss with very little upside) than Millennials.

For the most part we wear our masks and sheltered in place unlike Boomer Karens who had a cow about mask rules or sheltering in place or the younger Gen Z many of whom couldn't care less/ are just kids or early 20s.

In the long recovery it will be us millennials (again, just like that last time) who take the biggest hits to our careers since we are in our late 20s and 30s and got a slow start because of the Great Recession.

Sorry, but, no, I don't see around the suburbs north of Dallas any difference across any of the generations. I see millennials without masks, or with masks dangling from their chins. I see X-Genners (who make up the bulk of "Karens") without masks, I see Boomers without masks.

No generation is without its idiots.

Old 09-03-2020, 05:22 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Regarding the flareup at colleges: that's the nature of partying in American college partially due to the high drinking age. Drinking tends to be about big parties and stuff like that, it's not like they could just go out with two friends and drink wine.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:43 PM

468 posts, read 475,535 times
What up w/ no block parties in the Hood? (New Haven) Yale.

Most, but not all of the undergrads are Quarantined following State guidelines. Our plans for the traditional Freshman drive cross country and drop off for my daughter were scrapped when Yale announced no visitors including family would be allowed on campus.

Here is a picture of students safely socializing on their dorm courtyard. They aren't permitted outside their individual courtyards during quarantine and meals are delivered to their single occupant dorm rooms. She does have 2 suite mates.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEb5VUEFCQd/

Last edited by Peter5457; 09-03-2020 at 09:45 PM..

Old 09-04-2020, 11:59 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,648,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Sorry, but, no, I don't see around the suburbs north of Dallas any difference across any of the generations. I see millennials without masks, or with masks dangling from their chins. I see X-Genners (who make up the bulk of "Karens") without masks, I see Boomers without masks.

No generation is without its idiots.
I fail to see the issue with college students testing positive for a virus when most aren't sick and essentially none are hospitalized. Also, look at recent articles about the sensitivity of a virus and how they can manipulate it.

Did anyone really expect the virus to disappear and students to go back to class and the virus never happen? So you close down for a few weeks, wouldn't it just come back at campus. Well of course it will, except for our sudden idiotic measures. At this point these freshman will take 17 years to graduate on this course if you close down everyone got "sick". Even university of Alabama has had over 1,000 cases and from what I've read zero (yes zero) hospital cases.

We are supposedly all about the data, but ignore that people under 60 have had minimal issues with this virus. Unless your older or have major underlying conditions, this virus is not impacted people. Let us let our young people get back to school and life. For those nervous, find a bunker or basement and go hide there.

Old 09-05-2020, 05:39 AM

3,835 posts, read 4,441,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
I fail to see the issue with college students testing positive for a virus when most aren't sick and essentially none are hospitalized. Also, look at recent articles about the sensitivity of a virus and how they can manipulate it.

Did anyone really expect the virus to disappear and students to go back to class and the virus never happen? So you close down for a few weeks, wouldn't it just come back at campus. Well of course it will, except for our sudden idiotic measures. At this point these freshman will take 17 years to graduate on this course if you close down everyone got "sick". Even university of Alabama has had over 1,000 cases and from what I've read zero (yes zero) hospital cases.

We are supposedly all about the data, but ignore that people under 60 have had minimal issues with this virus. Unless your older or have major underlying conditions, this virus is not impacted people. Let us let our young people get back to school and life. For those nervous, find a bunker or basement and go hide there.
Once again:
Its not about the young kids. We know their survival rates are much higher. It's when those kids bring the virus back home to their parents and other elderly members of their households. It's also those same kids giving the virus to their professors and support staff who also tend to be much older. What part of this are you repeatedly failing to understand???? It's really not rocket science as to why it's not a good idea to allow huge amounts of kids to get this regardless of if they are asymptomatic or not.

Old 09-05-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Once again:
Its not about the young kids. We know their survival rates are much higher. It's when those kids bring the virus back home to their parents and other elderly members of their households. It's also those same kids giving the virus to their professors and support staff who also tend to be much older. What part of this are you repeatedly failing to understand???? It's really not rocket science as to why it's not a good idea to allow huge amounts of kids to get this regardless of if they are asymptomatic or not.

Quoted for emphasis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas