Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2020, 10:12 AM

573 posts, read 335,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
Fair enough. I think I mentioned it in my post - "There could be an argument that Sweden cannot be compared to NYC and NY state."

How about this comparison? Note NYC had lockdown for 2.5 months, Stockholm had no stringent lockdowns:
Stockholm
Area: 188 Km2
Population: 1 Million
Confirmed: 23,101
Deaths: 2384
Mortality: 10.3%
Deaths per 100,000: 238

NYC:
Area: 783 Km2
Population: 8.3 million
Confirmed: 229,000
Deaths: 22,970
Mortality: 10.03%
Deaths per 100,000: 276
Still doesn't address population density and the effect of transmission in a dense environment. Where is your data of how many individuals ignored the lockdown in NYC? There are news reports of people ignoring lockdowns, transmitting, and some dying - that's a very important data-set.

Why is Sweden the "right model" in response to Covid? Seoul has a population density of 84k/km, 9.8 million people, and I believe 9 deaths....AND Seoul did NOT have a lockdown, but they also did not rely on herd immunity. Maybe they learned from MERS and were prepared. If any model could be held up to working pretty well, it's S. Korea, but no one talks about it because it's not a "Western" point of view.

With all your data, I'm sure have details of herd immunity working without a vaccine? Examples of why herd immunity won't work without a vaccine include the following:
NPR article about herd immunity
Mayo clinic

Where is Sweden at in herd immunity? I've read 6-9%, still a long way from 60-90% required for herd immunity without a vaccine. Exactly how long does herd immunity for Covid last? Why is the herd immunity rate in Sweden so low and how can they achieve it if its not even close to 40% since it's the right model?

Don't forget, you already declared the Swedish response THE RIGHT MODEL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDContribuitor View Post
Add short-term and long-term effects of 50 million Americans being out of job. Irony is the most communities who are affected by the virus will be affected by the joblessness and the downturn in economy the most. Swedish response if it would have been adopted universally, would have been the right model, in my opinion. We will know this for sure, in a year's time.
Maybe the "right model" depends on the country, geography, population density, medical capabilities, cultural/societal attitudes, and probably most importantly, the country's leader to...well...lead. And No, I don't believe S Korea's model would have worked in the US...first, we were not prepared, and do not have a leader (edit to add: I mean, really..."America's Frontline Doctor" group promoting hydroxychloroquine, alien dna, and demon impregnation?)

Last edited by Pilsn3r; 07-29-2020 at 10:21 AM..

Old 07-29-2020, 10:42 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,115,616 times
US Rep Louie Gohmert(R-Tyler), 66, tested positive for Coronavirus.

GOP Rep. Louie Gohmert tests positive for Covid-19 at the White House - https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/29/polit...rus/index.html
Quote:
Gohmert had been scheduled to fly aboard Air Force One on Wednesday with President Donald Trump to Midland, Texas, where the President is fundraising and touring an oil rig. He tested positive for coronavirus on Wednesday morning during a pre-flight screening at the White House, a person familiar with the situation told CNN. Because of the positive test, Gohmert is not traveling with the President.

A senior Republican aide told CNN the test results have caused issues on the Hill where "a lot of staffers" were ordered to get tests before they can go to meetings and resume activity. Some are sequestering in their offices until they can get tested. Gohmert's office notified Republican leaders, who notified House medical staff and the protocol kicked in for further notification, the GOP aide said.

Old 07-29-2020, 01:27 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,060,308 times
So............my daughter and her boyfriend and one of my daughter's roommates have tested positive. Due to reasons I'm going to mostly stay away from for now my daughter likely gave it to her BF and roomate after my daughter took part in some medical volunteer work in Houston.

Kiddo is 24, her symptoms began ~3.5 weeks ago. With minor headaches that would come and go. Minor stomach upset, minor diarrhea and minor back pain - all would come and go. After 8 days of that and two negative tests that all stopped. Then her senses of smell and taste just went away then for a day she had a fever that topped out at 100.8F. Since then she's been VERY tired sleeping and napping 14-15 hours per day. Today is the first day she's felt just right in almost a month. During this malase she's tested positive twice. She her senses of smell and taste are recovering.

Boyfriend is 25, he described his symptoms as feeling like a chest cold with a minor background hangover that would not go away plus a loss of both smell and taste.

Roommate is 30 I think, she has had zero symptoms except maybe a decrease in smell and taste.

Old 07-29-2020, 01:38 PM

516 posts, read 450,330 times
I am sorry to hear that EDS. I am glad they are all on the mend.

Old 07-29-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
So............my daughter and her boyfriend and one of my daughter's roommates have tested positive. Due to reasons I'm going to mostly stay away from for now my daughter likely gave it to her BF and roomate after my daughter took part in some medical volunteer work in Houston.

Kiddo is 24, her symptoms began ~3.5 weeks ago. With minor headaches that would come and go. Minor stomach upset, minor diarrhea and minor back pain - all would come and go. After 8 days of that and two negative tests that all stopped. Then her senses of smell and taste just went away then for a day she had a fever that topped out at 100.8F. Since then she's been VERY tired sleeping and napping 14-15 hours per day. Today is the first day she's felt just right in almost a month. During this malase she's tested positive twice. She her senses of smell and taste are recovering.

Boyfriend is 25, he described his symptoms as feeling like a chest cold with a minor background hangover that would not go away plus a loss of both smell and taste.

Roommate is 30 I think, she has had zero symptoms except maybe a decrease in smell and taste.
Thanks for the personal story. It's wild how the symptoms can range from nothing to severe fatigue. It's a good reason for people with mild symptoms to not visit friends and family.

In another forum, a recovered patient was on their 3rd wave of fatigue in 3 months. The 2nd and 3rd wave were as bad as the 1st one. They are worried about future recurrences and the ability to work full time. I hope your daughter doesn't go through that.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXPerson View Post
I am sorry to hear that EDS. I am glad they are all on the mend.
Thank you. All in all I consider her quite lucky, so far any way.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Thanks for the personal story. It's wild how the symptoms can range from nothing to severe fatigue. It's a good reason for people with mild symptoms to not visit friends and family.

In another forum, a recovered patient was on their 3rd wave of fatigue in 3 months. The 2nd and 3rd wave were as bad as the 1st one. They are worried about future recurrences and the ability to work full time. I hope your daughter doesn't go through that.
She's very athletic and is going to start "running" tomorrow. Her doc. thinks it's really important that she try to get back in shape immediately. He warned her about rounds of fatigue as well.

She didn't have it to lose and it's a tough means to lose weight but through the sickness and all food tasting like sawdust she's lost about 15 pounds - she's 6'2" 133lbs. right now - way thin.

Old 07-29-2020, 03:36 PM

451 posts, read 319,980 times
Please do the calculation for population density based on population and area. It is almost the same for NYC and Stockholm. Stockholm's measures were definitely much less stringent than NYC's.

It is quite possible that most of the countries over-reached with the response. State-wide or country-wide shutdowns may not have been required. Possibly targeted shutdowns for hotspots like NYC could have been adequate. South Korea model does not work for US, because of privacy concerns, since I understand S. Korea and Taiwan's response relied heavily on contact tracing measures through tracking of individual phones of infected patients and the people who were exposed to the infected.

Let's come back to this conversation in a year's time, since we will have data for extensive period of time. I believe that countries all over the world realize now that shutdowns are not a sustainable solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
Still doesn't address population density and the effect of transmission in a dense environment. Where is your data of how many individuals ignored the lockdown in NYC? There are news reports of people ignoring lockdowns, transmitting, and some dying - that's a very important data-set.

Why is Sweden the "right model" in response to Covid? Seoul has a population density of 84k/km, 9.8 million people, and I believe 9 deaths....AND Seoul did NOT have a lockdown, but they also did not rely on herd immunity. Maybe they learned from MERS and were prepared. If any model could be held up to working pretty well, it's S. Korea, but no one talks about it because it's not a "Western" point of view.

With all your data, I'm sure have details of herd immunity working without a vaccine? Examples of why herd immunity won't work without a vaccine include the following:
NPR article about herd immunity
Mayo clinic

Where is Sweden at in herd immunity? I've read 6-9%, still a long way from 60-90% required for herd immunity without a vaccine. Exactly how long does herd immunity for Covid last? Why is the herd immunity rate in Sweden so low and how can they achieve it if its not even close to 40% since it's the right model?

Don't forget, you already declared the Swedish response THE RIGHT MODEL.

Maybe the "right model" depends on the country, geography, population density, medical capabilities, cultural/societal attitudes, and probably most importantly, the country's leader to...well...lead. And No, I don't believe S Korea's model would have worked in the US...first, we were not prepared, and do not have a leader (edit to add: I mean, really..."America's Frontline Doctor" group promoting hydroxychloroquine, alien dna, and demon impregnation?)

Old 07-29-2020, 05:15 PM

Texas reported 313 new deaths and 6190 total deaths for 07/29. Last week, daily deaths were in the mid 100's. New cases and hospitalizations have been trending down for weeks.

Why the accelerated growth in daily deaths?

Texas Department of State Health Services Coronavirus Dashboard - https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...01e8b9cafc8b83

Old 07-29-2020, 09:57 PM

451 posts, read 319,980 times
Quite Puzzling. 36 deaths in Dallas county today, although hospital beds and ICU beds are at 67% and 69% respectively, and has been at that level for a week.
The 36 deaths being reported today include:
 A man in his 40’s who was a resident of the City of Dallas. He expired in an area hospital ED,
and had underlying high risk health conditions.
 A man in his 50’s who was a resident of the City of Dallas. He had been critically ill in an
area hospital, and did not have underlying high risk health conditions.
 A man in his 50’s who was a resident of the City of Dallas. He had been critically ill in an
area hospital, and did not have underlying high risk health conditions.
 A man in his 50’s who was a resident of the City of Carrollton. He had been critically ill in an
area hospital, and had underlying high risk health conditions.
 A man in his 50’s who was a resident of the City of Duncanville. He had been critically ill in
an area hospital, and did not have underlying high risk health conditions.
 A man in his 50’s who was an inmate of a correctional facility in the City of Seagoville. He
had been critically ill in an area hospital, and had underlying high risk health conditions.
 A woman in her 50’s who was a resident of the City of Dallas. She had been critically ill in an
 A man in his 60’s who was a resident of the City of Dallas. He had been critically ill in an
 A man in his 60’s who was a resident of the City of Dallas. He had been critically ill in an
 A woman in her 60’s who was a resident of the City of Cedar Hill. She had been critically ill
in an area hospital, and did not have underlying high risk health conditions.
 A woman in her 60’s who was a resident of the City of Dallas. She had been critically ill in an
 A woman in her 60’s who was a resident of the City of Cedar Hill. She had been critically ill
in an area hospital, and had underlying high risk health conditions.
 A woman in her 60’s who was a resident of the City of Dallas. She had been critically ill in an
 A man in his 60’s who was a resident of the City of Garland. He had been critically ill in an
 A man in his 70’s who was a resident of the City of Dallas. He was found deceased at home.
 A woman in her 70’s who was a resident of the City of Dallas. She had been critically ill in an
 A man in his 70’s who was a resident of the City of Dallas. He was found deceased at home.
 A man in his 70’s who was a resident of the City of Lancaster. He had been critically ill in an
 A man in his 70’s who was a resident of the City of Dallas. He had been critically ill in an
 A woman in her 70’s who was a resident of the City of Dallas. She had been critically ill in an
 A woman in her 70’s who was a resident of a long-term care facility in the City of Dallas. She
had been critically ill in an area hospital, and had underlying high risk health conditions.
 A woman in her 70’s who was a resident of a long-term care facility in the City of Dallas. She
had been critically ill in an area hospital, and did not have underlying high risk health
conditions.
 A man in his 80’s who was a resident of the City of Dallas. He had been critically ill in an
 A man in his 80’s who was a resident of the City of Dallas. He had been critically ill in an
area hospital.
area hospital.
 A woman in her 80’s who was a resident of the City of Irving. She had been critically ill in an
 A woman in her 80’s who was a resident of a long-term care facility in the City of Seagoville.
She had been hospitalized, and had underlying high risk health conditions.
 A man in his 90’s who was a resident of the City of Dallas. He had been critically ill in an
 A man in his 90’s who was a resident of a long-term care facility in the City of Dallas. He had
been hospitalized, and had underlying high risk health conditions.
 A man in his 90’s who was a resident of a long-term care facility in the City of Dallas. He had
been hospitalized, and had underlying high risk health conditions.
 A woman in her 90’s who was a resident of a long-term care facility in the City of Mesquite.
She had been hospitalized, and did not have underlying high risk health conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Texas reported 313 new deaths and 6190 total deaths for 07/29. Last week, daily deaths were in the mid 100's. New cases and hospitalizations have been trending down for weeks.

Why the accelerated growth in daily deaths?

Texas Department of State Health Services Coronavirus Dashboard - https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...01e8b9cafc8b83
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas