Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 04:55 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times

Advertisements

Didn't want the interview to end!
I'll be reading her book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 05:01 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,266 times
I caught some clips of it on the internet. Really interesting to hear her talk about her side of the story. I have always believed that religion is a cult and just sounds like extremes. The crazy voodoo magic they pull on their members just to make the church officials millionaires. So disgusting. I believe it was Ron Hubbard who said: "The fastest way to make a million is start a religion" or something along those lines.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:48 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
I think, after the interview, if anything it has shown even more how Scientology is nothing more than a cult. . .as if most folks needed more convincing.
The scary part is, Scientology is GROWING and has been for decades.

Now theyre more than a Cult, they are an Organised Religion with tithes and leaders and billions of dollars worth of assets.

Again, just whose job is it to decide Which Religion Gets it Right? If Any?

Old 11-01-2015, 05:59 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,062,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I watched the 20/20 story on this and was amazed. How can they call themselves a religious church for tax benefits with the IRS? These people at the top of the organization are not religious leaders but mind controlling nutjobs.
Didn't read thru all the pages here but I posted on this a while back in another thread......the answer to your question:

in case anyone didn't see Going Clear (HBO doc) it explained why the IRS gave the church a religious exemption......it was all about money.

The cult nut leader Miscabbage (it's really Miscaviage or something like that but I like my alteration better) had a thousand or so of his cultists file INDIVIDUAL lawsuits against the IRS and specific people in the IRS (esp. important people). When during a meeting with IRS officials one of the cult leaders said something to the effect "y'know if we get the exemption as a religious organization, all the lawsuits will be dropped immediately"......the IRS officials asked if that was a serious deal and it was.

So....the IRS and more importantly, VIPs in the IRS were saved from having to spend many thousands in lawyer/legal defense fees in defending every individual case and being in court for years.....they blinked and appeased these nuts to make it easier on themselves, basically.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:01 PM

All religions have tax exemption where I am, probably where you are too.

Look around you, you probably have a Mosque in your community, who are also exempt from taxes.

What defines a religion>adherents

That's the only requirement.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:01 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
I had never been a fan of Leah's work but I am a fan now....not of the work but of the guts and bravery she has exhibited with her interview.

I am also very impressed with her mother and sister. They both came out of Scientology when Leah did. Unfortunately that rarely happens. There are very strong women in that family. Bravo!

If interested in what really goes on in Scientology I recommend this book. I just finished it and OMG! it's actually scary what they will do to individuals.

http://www.amazon.com/Unbreakable-Mi...le+miss+lovely

Old 11-01-2015, 06:09 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Why is discussing other religions on a Scientology thread, off limits? Or just One other Religion, Christianity?

That's the whole point! Discussion!

Specifically, some Christians are saying "how can you believe in that Xenu stuff" while simultaneously believing in all sorts of unlikely stuff themselves, such as the resurrection thing.

Its all doctrine. And people are indoctrinated. Only one religion hits 60 minutes though!

There is no "right" organized religion - how can there be, when ALL is Chinese whispers from centuries ago (or this century! or the last! or the one before!) filtered through a succession of Interested Parties?

Xenu and the volcano are every bit as likely as Mary being a Virgin, in my world. Questioning both is healthy, not heathen!

I apologise if I offend...I realize this is a very sore subject for some.

You might wish to self examine as to why that is. Just sayn.
Wrong, it's not the point of this thread at all.

You took it off topic. This thread was started due to an interview on 20/20 on a certain topic.

I noticed you picked on the Catholics(they're always an easy target, like the kid with glasses and braces who doesn't fight back in the school yard).

You don't mention Muslims.....hmmmm.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Wrong, it's not the point of this thread at all.

You took it off topic. This thread was started due to an interview on 20/20 on a certain topic.

I noticed you picked on the Catholics(they're always an easy target, like the kid with glasses and braces who doesn't fight back in the school yard).

You don't mention Muslims.....hmmmm.
Didn't you read me mentioning the tax free mosque?<<<<muslim

Old 11-01-2015, 06:11 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Just a heads up for anyone interested......Leah is scheduled to be on Good Morning America tomorrow morning {Monday 11/2}.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:15 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Just watched the whole thing on YouTube... good interview, but a lot of that was already out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events