Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 08:46 AM

244 posts, read 248,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
A "religion" started by a science fiction writer. That actress went against all that is Hollywood, including the anointed one, Tom Cruise. I will be surprised if she ever works again. Very brave she is.
Leah's working now, actually, but if she were never to work again I don't believe it would be because of her high-profile defection from a criminal cult. If anything, this should raise her stock rather than lower it, at least among anyone not named Miscavige, Cruise, Travolta, Alley, Preston or Elfman.

It is profoundly disappointing, though, that Cruise was able to rise from the ashes of 2005-2008. The major players forgive him anything for the sake of a nice-guy persona and those stellar international box-office numbers. On the bright side, his proselytizing days on the world stage are over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 08:50 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
I have never watched anything Leah did, but watched the interview with great interest.

I think it was VERY difficult and took a lot of courage to do what she did, especially when she states that she did not know if it meant she was going to loose her entire family (including her mother and husband) when she decided to bolt.

I think there is a LOT of interest because of the closed, secretive nature of this cult, and yes, the apparent hold it seems to have on others. Hard to believe that in this day and age, we are so concerned about "bullying" on the internet/schools, but turn a blind eye and give a "tax break" to a cult that does the same thing!

I too wonder about the leaders "wife" and can not help but believe that IF she is in fact safe (like maybe they just split up), she is being paid off very well to keep out of the spotlight and keep her mouth shut.

The fact that Katie and Nichole won't speak about the cult tells me there is much to be feared. Glad they made it out.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:01 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
The only thing missing from her interview and experience with that CULT is this warning:

"Don't drink the Kool-Aid!"

Old 11-01-2015, 09:04 AM

50,786 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
A "religion" started by a science fiction writer. That actress went against all that is Hollywood, including the anointed one, Tom Cruise. I will be surprised if she ever works again. Very brave she is.
She has worked more since she came out against the church. She discussed it to some extent when she was on Dancing with the Stars, which was after she left the church as well. Dancing with the Stars gave her new career life, IMO. She is now hosting the show with Tom Bergeron in fact. The interview is on 20/20 now, but she left the church a couple of years ago in 2013.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:06 AM

244 posts, read 248,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post

The fact that Katie and Nichole won't speak about the cult tells me there is much to be feared. Glad they made it out.
I don't want to downplay any fear they may genuinely feel, especially since Scienos are Manson Family-tenacious (with less gore), but I assume iron-clad settlement and confidentiality agreements are at play here. I would LOVE for Nicole to become an outspoken Scientology critic. I'm not sure Katie has the intellect or gravitas to attempt anything heavier than an Olay commercial, unfortunately.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:25 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellflower View Post
I don't want to downplay any fear they may genuinely feel, especially since Scienos are Manson Family-tenacious (with less gore), but I assume iron-clad settlement and confidentiality agreements are at play here. I would LOVE for Nicole to become an outspoken Scientology critic. I'm not sure Katie has the intellect or gravitas to attempt anything heavier than an Olay commercial, unfortunately.
Katie managed to get out, with her daughter. Maybe that's all down to her rich family, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:40 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
Katie's dad is an attorney and while upper-middle class not Tom Cruise rich...Her family helped pull off the escape of the century...through planning,stealth and being parents total loyalty to their daughter and grand daughter...years from now we may learn how they did it...the top secret nature and thinking little Katie Holmes is a much better actress then we give her credit for...

Old 11-01-2015, 09:54 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I have never watched anything Leah did, but watched the interview with great interest.

I think it was VERY difficult and took a lot of courage to do what she did, especially when she states that she did not know if it meant she was going to loose her entire family (including her mother and husband) when she decided to bolt.

I think there is a LOT of interest because of the closed, secretive nature of this cult, and yes, the apparent hold it seems to have on others. Hard to believe that in this day and age, we are so concerned about "bullying" on the internet/schools, but turn a blind eye and give a "tax break" to a cult that does the same thing!

I too wonder about the leaders "wife" and can not help but believe that IF she is in fact safe (like maybe they just split up), she is being paid off very well to keep out of the spotlight and keep her mouth shut.

Katie and Nicole won't speak out because they have children with Tom Cruise. Nicole has a legitimate worry that her children will be punished and further ostracize her. I think she has some contact with them, it's just not public.

Katie has a kid and probably gets to keep her out of Scientology if she zips her lips. She could do more damage to Scientology than Leah Remini ever could. Good for her on getting her kid out. I think she met Tom and was smitten. She started Scientology and it's all good stuff and okay at first. They don't unleash the crazy until you are solidly inside the organization.

As Leah said, she found out about Xenu and though..what a bunch of bull. But she's already in too deep and ALL of her friends and family are in too deep. That's some psychological terror there.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:58 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Katie's dad is an attorney and while upper-middle class not Tom Cruise rich...Her family helped pull off the escape of the century...through planning,stealth and being parents total loyalty to their daughter and grand daughter...years from now we may learn how they did it...the top secret nature and thinking little Katie Holmes is a much better actress then we give her credit for...
Maybe in twenty years we will find out what really happened.

Old 11-01-2015, 09:59 AM

620 posts, read 638,890 times
Not only was it courageous for Leah to speak out the way she did, but it was also very smart. It really reduces any sort of possible backlash against her, since basically the whole world is watching now. They've been basically disarmed, other than slinging their silly grade school insults at her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events