Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 01:17 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
There is a convention for atheists. Atheists give out awards and scholarships and hold events through the organization I shared. Looks like you live in Ohio. Maybe your area doesn't get a lot of exposure to this. I think a lot of atheists just live life quietly, so do many religious. But the options are there for atheists who want to participate.
Going to a convention half way across the country once a year or posting on a website is hardly the same as jumping in your car and driving a few miles to your local church or temple. I wouldn't call that much of an option.

And, just my own personal observation.......the religious who live their lives quietly without belonging to a church are usually the ones who live their lives in a way that is more true to their beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 11:15 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Going to a convention half way across the country once a year or posting on a website is hardly the same as jumping in your car and driving a few miles to your local church or temple. I wouldn't call that much of an option.

And, just my own personal observation.......the religious who live their lives quietly without belonging to a church are usually the ones who live their lives in a way that is more true to their beliefs.
It's not just conventions or going on the website. There are very active atheists, just like there are very active people of religion. The people who run these websites and plan the conventions and events and fundraise for scholarships or awards or speakers are much more active than those who simply attend. The people who lobby the government for equal treatment are much more active atheists than those who simply don't believe in anything. And there are people who won't let you forget who they are and what they believe, in discussion (especially on the internet), like there are people who are very religious and don't let you forget. Insisting there is no God and insinuating people who believe are idiots is just as bad as someone publicly condemning someone who doesn't believe in God to hell or something, for example. The only difference is one group believes in something and the other doesn't. And when it comes to actions, this isn't much of a difference.

Perhaps YOU are not an active atheist (if you are one), like I am not an active Catholic. I don't go to mass weekly. It's not as if all people who identify with a religion go to the services weekly or even regularly at all. There are various degrees of how religious (or not religious) one is, and that all comes down to a very personal belief and faith system. There are people who identify as Catholics who almost never go to mass, except maybe on holidays. Maybe this is wrong, maybe it's not. Some would say they're not true Catholics but you cannot judge what and how they feel inside about their religion and what they believe in. I don't know how active most atheists or religious are, until I ask them. But I can't assume one whole group is more active than another. There is no way of knowing this.

There is a whole group of Catholics, probably the majority in the country nowadays to be honest, who only attend church on holidays. They are notorious to active churchgoers who attend on a regular basis. The churches fill up to over capacity, with people standing everywhere, on Christmas and Easter, but weekly you can barely fill the pews. Barely collect enough money to scrape by. There are even people who are atheist and still celebrate Christmas and Easter for the gifts and festivity alone (I have a friend whose family does this, and they are open atheists). There are various degrees of what you believe in, whether you believe in something or not, that is all I'm saying. There are various degrees of activity in one's belief system - and yes, atheism is still a belief system.

Old 11-07-2015, 12:42 AM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Interesting read on this story. If Shelly is alive why didn't the cop have her step out of seclusion and say "here I am" so the public could actually see a live body. Cop and church cover-up to me.

Read Why Shelly Miscavige, Once Scientology?s Queen, Was Dethroned by Her Husband David | Vanity Fair

Old 11-07-2015, 01:12 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,674,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I started to watch it and then I thought better and I do hope nothing happens to Leah Remini .She seems like she is okay with leaving that cult and that is exactly what it is , a cult nothing more and you have to have a strong mind to not get tied up in things like that . It is not a religion folks .
Her mom was the one bringing her family into it. You can imagine after 30 years of this indoctrination, how odd this would be to experience, but good for her. I was glad to see that when she decided to leave, her family did not allow her to go it alone and are all together in this decision.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:11 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I started to watch it and then I thought better and I do hope nothing happens to Leah Remini .She seems like she is okay with leaving that cult and that is exactly what it is , a cult nothing more and you have to have a strong mind to not get tied up in things like that . It is not a religion folks .
What is the difference between a cult and a religion.

Both brainwash those that adhere to them.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:38 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
What is the difference between a cult and a religion.

Both brainwash those that adhere to them.
Nope. Plenty of religious people are free to think for themselves and have their own opinions and interpretations. There are various degrees of being religious, as well. There are orthodox or very religious people, there are moderates, and there are people who identify as a religion, were raised within one and received sacraments or rites of passage, but maybe aren't so into it - and all types in between.

The Duggars are members of a cult. Look how they dress, think, act. Your average churchgoer, especially in my area, is simply a regular person belonging to a religion.

Old 11-09-2015, 11:30 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Nope. Plenty of religious people are free to think for themselves and have their own opinions and interpretations. There are various degrees of being religious, as well. There are orthodox or very religious people, there are moderates, and there are people who identify as a religion, were raised within one and received sacraments or rites of passage, but maybe aren't so into it - and all types in between.

The Duggars are members of a cult. Look how they dress, think, act. Your average churchgoer, especially in my area, is simply a regular person belonging to a religion.
I do understand what your saying, but really, most religions started out as cults, the way you are defining it.

It seems that if it is a smaller group, it is a cult. Get up into the millions, it is called a religion. The control element varies, but let's face it, much of religion IS about control.

So, were do you find that line when one becomes the other?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events