Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 10:49 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,837,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Asbestos has been linked to cancer. So yeah, breathing a large amount of it would be consistent with someone contracting cancer.
Lung cancer. Not stomach cancer. Why are we talking about asbestos if the subject of the original post died of stomach cancer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 10:54 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,684,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Lung cancer. Not stomach cancer. Why are we talking about asbestos if the subject of the original post died of stomach cancer?
This is a serious question but asbestos is associated with lung cancer because people breath it in. Have the affects of asbestos ever been studied when it is ingested in larger quantities?

Old 08-28-2015, 07:17 PM

89,127 posts, read 85,789,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This is a serious question but asbestos is associated with lung cancer because people breath it in. Have the affects of asbestos ever been studied when it is ingested in larger quantities?
How often does that happen that you'd have a big enough sample for a study?

As already pointed out in this thread, the WTC Health Registry is tracking those of us who participate voluntarily for 20 years. I am guessing further studies may continue after that. Some of these results may not show up for a while.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:20 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,093,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
How often does that happen that you'd have a big enough sample for a study?

As already pointed out in this thread, the WTC Health Registry is tracking those of us who participate voluntarily for 20 years. I am guessing further studies may continue after that. Some of these results may not show up for a while.
Thanks for posting the name. WTC Health Registry. I know people on it just didn't know what it was formally called. All I know is they visit a hospital yearly for examinations. My one friend in particular has mentioned to me many times how nervous she is for her dad that time of year. She says she feels as if, for him, it's only a matter of time. They thought he died on 9/11 because he didn't come home and didn't call. He finally came home late covered in dust so he had plenty of exposure, and then he worked the recovery for some time.

I wish you good health, I hope you never have issues surface from your experiences that day.

Old 08-29-2015, 06:42 AM

89,127 posts, read 85,789,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Thanks for posting the name. WTC Health Registry. I know people on it just didn't know what it was formally called. All I know is they visit a hospital yearly for examinations. My one friend in particular has mentioned to me many times how nervous she is for her dad that time of year. She says she feels as if, for him, it's only a matter of time. They thought he died on 9/11 because he didn't come home and didn't call. He finally came home late covered in dust so he had plenty of exposure, and then he worked the recovery for some time.

I wish you good health, I hope you never have issues surface from your experiences that day.
Thank you. As I said, I am in pretty good health, but I do have this rare thyroid disease, believed to be auto-immune but the cause is unknown. I already had an enlarged thyroid with nodules on it before 9/11, but it didn't need treatment. However, it morphed into this other weird thing that would have killed me if I didn't have treatment, and I have wondered if either the stress of 9/11 or something in the air that day set it off. I was fortunate in that I got in the stairs stat after we were hit and was a few blocks away when Two collapsed. I ran from the dust cloud and was caught only in the outer edges of it, but I was running north and the wind started to take it south. My friend was in the Concourse when Two went down and she looked like that woman in the photo when I found her on the street, but so far she is healthy, too. After 9/11, I worked right across the river, and of course you could smell it till they put the fire out in January, and sometimes when the wind shifted, ash would rain down on us over there.

The reason the WTC Health Registry came to mind so quickly is that I just received the postcard in the mail reminding me to do the online survey, lol.

I've also participated in other studies. One was done on the use of elevators in a building in an emergency, and the other was a psychological study of survivors and their children done by Columbia University. They came to the house twice five years apart and interviewed my daughter and I, and they still send us a holiday card every year. Not only medical doctors but shrinks and behavioral experts are going to be studying this event for years.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:35 AM

18,011 posts, read 15,732,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
What type of stomach cancer was not specified. If if was Mesothelioma, then it was asbestos related. It doesn't have to start in the respiratory tract, and even if it does, it can metastasize , aggressively, to any part of the body. It a "sheet tumor", and is about as nasty as cancer gets, which is saying, damn nasty.

Enough asbestos stuck in the digestive tract could easily cause cancer. Asbestos doesn'teave the body, once it gets in. I buried into things, like microscopic harpoons. There are two diseases, specific to asbestos. Asbestosis (sometimes called "white lung) and Mesothelioma, the specific cancer. Asbestosis is not a cancer. Its a fouling of lung function caused by the inflammation imbedded fibers cause, over time. The latency period for asbestos related disease is between 10-25 years, on average. Factors like smoking speeds things up.

Asbestos exposure could, quite easily, have been a factor in this woman's cancer. Hard to say without knowing the specific type she had. Apparently she had some substance abuse issues that probably didn't help matters any, which, combined with a LOT of asbestos stuck inside her , had the potential to make a real mess of things. I wouldnt rule out asbestos exposure as a factor in her illness. Its more than possible and quite likely it had a hand in things.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I wouldnt rule out asbestos exposure as a factor in her illness. Its more than possible and quite likely it had a hand in things.
Speculation. It's pointless to draw conclusions without knowing whether the incidence of cancer among 9/11 survivors is higher than that of the general population.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:17 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,066,254 times
As I believe Imentioned in a previous post my Dad's boss died from stomach cancer caused by inhaling and swallowing asbestos. It gets caught in your sinuses, your mouth and all those mucus membranes and then you swallow it.

Not really difficult to understand.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
As I believe Imentioned in a previous post my Dad's boss died from stomach cancer caused by inhaling and swallowing asbestos. It gets caught in your sinuses, your mouth and all those mucus membranes and then you swallow it.

Not really difficult to understand.
None of us know what caused that particular lady's illness. So it' pointless to speculate.

Old 09-02-2015, 07:12 PM

3,986 posts, read 4,081,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
None of us know what caused that particular lady's illness. So it' pointless to speculate.
It would be foolish to NOT consider the possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events