Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 02:39 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,142,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
There was asbestos on some of the floors of at least one tower.
Don't forget the mercury used in florescent light bulbs back then. Millions of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 04:06 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,709,946 times
She was likely genetically prone to getting cancer, and the toxins just sped it up a little.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:17 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,409,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
Don't forget the mercury used in florescent light bulbs back then. Millions of them.
Do you really think the same light bulbs installed when it was built were still there on 9/11? They were more than likely changed long ago, as they do burn out on a regular basis. That said, I'm sure even the more modern bulbs did contribute significantly to the toxic dust. Had to have been thousands of them in the towers.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:01 PM

14,432 posts, read 14,362,422 times
The woman died of stomach cancer and stomach cancer is strongly linked to heavy drinking which this woman apparently had a history of. There could be other environmental factors as well that have nothing to do with 9/11.

I'm not saying being covered with all that dust didn't play a role. However, its likely that other factors were more critical.

People often disregard heavy drinking and smoking when they try to figure out why someone got cancer. Perhaps, its because so many drink and smoke.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:40 PM

483 posts, read 692,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
I don't know her story, but if she was like many people who lived or worked in Manhattan, her exposure was more than just one day. I worked in an office about two miles away from the WTC site, and had a 15 minute walk from the train station to get there. The air reeked for months. It was a stringent, chemical burning stink, that permeated your clothes, your hair. You could taste it, while you walked the streets. I was only outside for 30 minutes each day, but I still washed my long hair every night when I got home, because I couldn't stand to breathe in that stink on my pillow all night long.

I can't imagine that high dose exposure wouldn't affect one's health, in some way, eventually.
I believe it. I heard reports from folks who lived in Jersey who drove the coast, and said they got nausea-ill just from what was trickling in through the vents. A coworker's husband was a city worker deemed permissible to divert to site cleanup, she said he reported the fine dust/debris visually sifted down at least 2 weeks after the collapse. Buildings are probably full of things not thought to be protected against vaporizing/pulverization.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:06 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,474,727 times
I did not read all the responses to this thread, but I think to me personally, it kinda sounds like she died that very day she suffered such traumatic injuries and mental pain, just took longer to actually transition. If you think about it MOST of us know someone that has done this....end of a marriage, loss of a child, something so very traumatic they NEVER were able to move past. Sad for sure...RIP to her and those that have passed from the suffering that was so traumatic it affected their lives and eventual passing.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:16 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,043,187 times
And I don't think I mentioned that when you breathe, some air can get into your stomach. I had severe stomach problems from smoking which stopped after I quit. So, yes, whatever people breathed in also ended up in their stomach, nose, sinuses and back into their stomachs.

Old 08-27-2015, 08:20 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,677,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The woman died of stomach cancer and stomach cancer is strongly linked to heavy drinking which this woman apparently had a history of. There could be other environmental factors as well that have nothing to do with 9/11.

I'm not saying being covered with all that dust didn't play a role. However, its likely that other factors were more critical.

People often disregard heavy drinking and smoking when they try to figure out why someone got cancer. Perhaps, its because so many drink and smoke.
If you're going to badmouth someone get your facts straight. She had problems with drugs/alcohol due to depression from the aftermath of 9/11. Prior to 9/11 she didn't have these issues, we can't even imagine the hell she experienced.

How shocking huh, that someone might self medicate after this kind of trauma?

She found sobriety in 2011.

God only knows what she breathed in that day.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:01 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,255,023 times
She was the poster child of the dust that day, it must've permeated her entire system - no, I personally don't see coincidence.

Even the worst alcoholics manage to live past their 42nd birthday!

The toxins would've overwhelmed her system, she would still have been coughing out dust days perhaps even weeks later.

The air was FULL of poison that day - its like Hiroshima, really. If you were there, you were damaged, sometimes (depending on your genetic load) its fatal years later.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:20 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,519,305 times
I was not too far away from Ground Zero, as I worked in the Wall St. area. The char/soot/other stuff in the air was very noxious and I did visit a hospital shortly thereafter. I really hope nothing becomes of it. RIP, Ms. Borders. That was a very harrowing day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events