Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 04:36 PM

89,049 posts, read 85,654,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I'm really not that surprised, I just wish once told - and shown proof - people would be like, oh okay. I see it now. Instead of claiming what I said "has no meaning." I've always said it, only people in the NYC area really know what 9/11 was like. People living away from here just don't get it like we do. Sure, it was terrible for the country wasn'tmost of the world, I get that, but it boggles my mind how uneducated some people are on the most basic 9/11 facts, and how desensitized they seem to be about the whole thing. I just don't think it's the same for them. I think the DC area, Boston area, and CA come the closest to knowing like we know because obviously the Pentagon, 2 flights came out of Boston, and all were going to CA, so lots of people from those areas died.

Anyway, yes it was a toxic area. And IMHO there was no way they didn't know. They lied. They lied to not scare people away from staying in lower Manhattan - companies, residents. Maybe hey honestly didn't know just how bad it was, but how could they not know that would be toxic? They didn't want people to flee the region so they tried to appease everyone and it turns out what they said was a lie, and I think most everybody knows that now... or apparently not.
They knew, because the government wasn't the only entity there monitoring the air. Unions and other organizations on site for the cleanup were running their own air-quality tests. Anyone with a sense of smell and half a brain knew the air was bad.

But here's how it gets by. Just how much of a substance--say asbestos--is "too much" in the open air? Well, there is no answer for that. Asbestos quantities are measured indoors. I could be wrong, but I don't think there are standards for burning building materials flying around in open air that could be held up as an official "this is too much" number. This was an unprecedented situation.

People WERE told to wear masks, remember. Whether they did any good or not is another story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 05:32 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,051,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'm doubtful a single day of exposure caused her cancer. First responders worked 12 hour days for weeks on end being exposed to asbestos and other harmful particulates.
I don't know her story, but if she was like many people who lived or worked in Manhattan, her exposure was more than just one day. I worked in an office about two miles away from the WTC site, and had a 15 minute walk from the train station to get there. The air reeked for months. It was a stringent, chemical burning stink, that permeated your clothes, your hair. You could taste it, while you walked the streets. I was only outside for 30 minutes each day, but I still washed my long hair every night when I got home, because I couldn't stand to breathe in that stink on my pillow all night long.

I can't imagine that high dose exposure wouldn't affect one's health, in some way, eventually.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:58 PM

63,917 posts, read 46,957,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I ask this because I honestly don't know, were the Towers built before the ban on Asbestos? Also wonder about all the fire retardant materials used to coat the steel structure, and how toxic it may have been.
Very sorry to hear this survivor died the way she did.
RIP.
Asbestos was a very prevalent building material when the WTC was built. The SOP during remodeling/reconfiguring space was to contain, not remove it. Respiratory Cancer would be a more common consequence than stomach Cancer.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 08-26-2015 at 06:15 PM..

Old 08-26-2015, 06:11 PM

63,917 posts, read 46,957,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Very sad. There are many unsung victims of the toxic debris that was spewed all over lower Manhattan and Greenwich Village. I personally know quite a few people who are living with respiratory ailments. Asbestos is a known carcinogen.

The mayor and the president handled this terribly.

She is every bit a victim as a first responder, a secretary or a janitor inside one of the buildings.

I really can not fathom some of these heartless posts.
What could they have done differently?

First responders were rushing in as people were pouring out.

Old 08-26-2015, 06:56 PM

38,926 posts, read 24,048,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
People who were never at 9/11 get cancer left and right as well. Is there anyway to tell if where someone got it from?
It is hard to really know what caused the cancer whether it was family history, 9/11 itself or other environmental factors. It is interesting though that so many survivors and first responders have cancer.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:01 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,057,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It is hard to really know what caused the cancer whether it was family history, 9/11 itself or other environmental factors. It is interesting though that so many survivors and first responders have cancer.
What would be interesting is if they had a higher rate of cancer then the general population.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:12 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,082,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I'm not sure her drug or alcohol problems are any of our business. She wasn't a public figure, just an American who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
She revealed her addiction issues in interviews. It's part of her story. If she shares it, we can discuss it.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:17 PM

89,049 posts, read 85,654,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Asbestos was a very prevalent building material when the WTC was built. The SOP during remodeling/reconfiguring space was to contain, not remove it. Respiratory Cancer would be a more common consequence than stomach Cancer.
They removed asbestos during tenant alterations at the World Trade Center as was necessary. There was an on-call contractor who maintained an office on site for this purpose.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:59 PM

16,952 posts, read 16,833,839 times
It is very sad what happened to her. She was one of the lingering memories I had, of many things we will never forget on 9/11.

I don't know if her cancer is from the WTC dust, but if the M.E. is able to find out, if they do an autopsy, that it was from the dust, they need to recognize that she died as a result of being exposed, along with many others. If she did not die from the WTC dust, it is still sad for her and her family.

RIP beautiful

Old 08-26-2015, 08:08 PM

29,562 posts, read 22,944,955 times
RIP.

These news bits always make me sad and remember those terrible times.

For some reason I am reminded that there is one last service dog still alive from that day.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1936151
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events