Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 12:04 PM

232 posts, read 251,152 times

Advertisements

Wow I never would have thought about a link between the toxic chemicals and cancer but it makes perfect sense. Never would have entered my mind. My heart goes out to her and her family & friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpm1 View Post
Very sad. Will she be added to the official list of victims?
Most likely not. Not unless it can be proven that the cancer was directly linked. Lung cancer would be easier to prove. Stomach cancer may be a result of the drugs and alcohol she took in the following years (or it may be a fluke or genetics). But the substance abuse problems were a result of 9/11 so the event definitely killed her. The terrorists are responsible for her death, whether or not it is official doesn't matter. They won't be adding her name, or probably any others, to the Memorial Pools.

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Don't worry, the government said the air was safe.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Our former governor. What a disservice she did to our state, which has lost 700 plus mostly on and also since 9/11.

How anyone could claim that air was safe is beyond me. Even if it was our government trying to entice people back to lower Manhattan and not scare them away.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:07 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,367,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
There was asbestos on some of the floors of at least one tower.
Thanks. I can imagine there was also a large number of other materials that once they were vaporized & airborne became quite toxic.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
Thanks. I can imagine there was also a large number of other materials that once they were vaporized & airborne became quite toxic.
Yes. Lots of toxins floating around.

I have worked closely with victims/survivors and the National September 11 Memorial and Museum. The stories I have heard from recovery workers and first responders are astounding. The area was toxic, and everyone knew it. Many recovery workers at the time suffered from the same health problems, while they were still working in the pit.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:09 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
People who were never at 9/11 get cancer left and right as well. Is there anyway to tell if where someone got it from?
Individually, it's never really possible to tell. for example, a lifelong smoker can get lung cancer that was not caused by smoking (in the same way that one who has never been exposed to cigarette smoke can get lung cancer). But the cancer rate in populations is highly correlated with smoking. And in the case of 09/11 rescue and recovery workers, for example, they are developing cancer at rates higher than the general population.
Number of 9/11-related cancer cases is growing - CNN.com

Thus, while can cannot assign 09/11 as the cause of the specific cancer in a specific individual, we can say with confidence that a portion of the cancers manifested in a population that shared an exposure which a control group with a lower cancer rate did not share were caused by the exposure in question.

So given that we know that 09/11 exposed workers and those in the area to known carcinogens (see below), we can expect that the population of those same workers and people caught up in the dust cloud to experience cancers as a result of that exposure.
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2011-1...s/2011-197.pdf

As I said, in the case of the individual it can never be definitively determined. But in the case of this woman, it sounds like 09/11 thoroughly destroyed her life even before she was diagnosed with cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Actually, various government reports (see above) have unequivocally stated that the air did in fact pose a variety of serious dangers. But I know you never let reality intrude on whatever irrelevant pet grievance of yours you're trying to shoehorn a completely unrelated topic.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:12 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,710,507 times
R.I.P.

Thoughts and prayers to her loved ones.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:16 PM

Ever heard of the "World Trade Center cough"? Read some firefighter's accounts of the makeup of the dust here, along with an explanation. 'World Trade Center Cough' Identified

"One deputy chief was able to free himself from debris after the collapse said the air he breathed was "darker than a sealed vault and thicker than pea soup."" I have heard the smoke described in this particular way, as well.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:27 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
That poor woman. My heart goes out to her family, and I am so sad to hear of all the difficulties she had after 9/11 leading up to her death. Truly tragic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events