Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 08:08 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,600,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The woman died of stomach cancer and stomach cancer is strongly linked to heavy drinking which this woman apparently had a history of. There could be other environmental factors as well that have nothing to do with 9/11.

I'm not saying being covered with all that dust didn't play a role. However, its likely that other factors were more critical.

People often disregard heavy drinking and smoking when they try to figure out why someone got cancer. Perhaps, its because so many drink and smoke.

Heavy drinking and smoking may or may not cause cancer - there are LOTS of folks who do both with no consequence. Heavy drinkers will usually die of cirrhosis or end up in a fatal crash long before they die of cancer related to their alcoholism. Smoking may or may not cause lung cancer - which usually metastasizes to other organs - but not always. There is no cut and dried reason for cancer. I lost both my parents to it. We have a history...

I read that she did develop a drug problem in the aftermath of 9-11. Doubtful that caused her stomach cancer. Stomach cancers can be caused by gastric problems - ulcers and such - which can be untreated or un-diagnosed for a long period of time. Ulcers can be caused by stress - and I think she probably qualified.

She was a young woman when she died - 42. She had lived through that hellish day along with others, and lost many friends and co-workers. She saw things that I am sure I would not have been able to live with, heard sounds, smells, and I can imagine that the ability to go back to living a normal life would be impossible for many people. That would be stressful. Just going back to work in a high building, or driving into the city. Also, how long would it take for jobs to come back and to get your everyday life routine back on track? So many things were taken that day - including nearly 3000 lives.

I'm just trying to say here, none of us walked in her shoes (or any of those folks), and I don't think we have any right to sit here and judge or decide who or how anyone lived their lives, or to lay blame. Before that day - they were just living their lives - just like us. I cannot fathom living through all of that. I would probably have sought a release myself - be it drinking or whatever to get me through it. Don't know - I wasn't there and neither were any of you.

I'm sorry for her, and the pain that she lived through - emotionally and physically. I pray that her family has some peace now - and know they will forever associate her death with that day in September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 08:37 PM

18,011 posts, read 15,734,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This is a serious question but asbestos is associated with lung cancer because people breath it in. Have the affects of asbestos ever been studied when it is ingested in larger quantities?
Yes. They have. Cancer is an inspefic disease. Asbestos has a SPECIFIC form cancer, the most nasty form, attributed to it. . Mesothelioma. Sheet tumor. It can start anywhere. Its not respiratory specific, but, it IS asbestos specific. Don't judge so harshly. I COULD be anything.. and asbestos is a good candidate here.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:53 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,839,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
It would be foolish to NOT consider the possibility.
If the possibility is there, then there's only one way to determine whether it has any significance: gather the data and do the statistical analysis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events