Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 02:16 PM

24,149 posts, read 32,644,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I ask this because I honestly don't know, were the Towers built before the ban on Asbestos? Also wonder about all the fire retardant materials used to coat the steel structure, and how toxic it may have been.
Very sorry to hear this survivor died the way she did.
RIP.

Good question. Yes. They were build prior to the ban on asbestos. And you are right, the fire retardant chemical is ironically a known carcinogen. Unfortunately, smoke is the most efficient way to disburse chemicals through out the body.

Tragic.

My condolences to this woman's family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 02:23 PM

8,402 posts, read 4,403,300 times
I am not aware of any studies, but there could very well be, that compare cancer rates of those involved directly in 911 and that were not. Certainly throwing around comments like "cancer left and right " has little to no meaning.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:25 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,045,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
I am not aware of any studies, but there could very well be, that compare cancer rates of those involved directly in 911 and that were not. Certainly throwing around comments like "cancer left and right " has little to no meaning.
Certainly you have no knowledge of the lives first responders and others have led since 9/11, and what has happened to them. Before claiming what I said has no meaning, maybe you should look it up. Perhaps because I live in northern NJ I am exposed to a lot of 9/11 related news, even to this day, and others are not, but I know what I'm talking about.

There HAVE been studies. In fact earlier in the thread someone shared an article about the spike in cancers. Here are this same links again: Number of 9/11-related cancer cases is growing - CNN.com http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2011-1...s/2011-197.pdf

Then there is the fact that the government created an act called the James Zadroga Health and Compensation Act (named after an NYPD cop who died of 9/11 related cancer) to give injured and sick survivors/first responders compensation for their medical care. The process by which you have to prove your illness is related to 9/11 is quite arduous, but it showcases the health problems these first responders have had, among them cancer. BTW I say first responders because it's easier, but a lot of non-cops and firemen were involved in the 9 month cleanup effort. Many recovery workers worked for construction companies and were at the site the whole time.

And like I previously said, I worked with victims, survivors, and family members of those who died, and the 9/11 Memorial, and I have personally heard many stories of health issues that arose among groups of recovery workers or individuals, including cancers. There have been health problems, and it's no coincidence. It's more likely that those who were exposed to the site for a longer period of time developed issues, but when it comes to the variety of toxins that day, you never know. I know people who wound up having cement in their sinuses from breathing in the dust - pulverized cement - and once exposed to the moisture in their noses, it re-hardened and they had to have it surgically removed. It was crazy stuff, and the average American doesn't know the half of it.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:41 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,636,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Certainly you have no knowledge of the lives first responders and others have led since 9/11, and what has happened to them. Before claiming what I said has no meaning, maybe you should look it up. Perhaps because I live in northern NJ I am exposed to a lot of 9/11 related news, even to this day, and others are not, but I know what I'm talking about.

There HAVE been studies. In fact earlier in the thread someone shared an article about the spike in cancers. Here are this same links again: Number of 9/11-related cancer cases is growing - CNN.com http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2011-1...s/2011-197.pdf

Then there is the fact that the government created an act called the James Zadroga Health and Compensation Act (named after an NYPD cop who died of 9/11 related cancer) to give injured and sick survivors/first responders compensation for their medical care. The process by which you have to prove your illness is related to 9/11 is quite arduous, but it showcases the health problems these first responders have had, among them cancer. BTW I say first responders because it's easier, but a lot of non-cops and firemen were involved in the 9 month cleanup effort. Many recovery workers worked for construction companies and were at the site the whole time.

And like I previously said, I worked with victims, survivors, and family members of those who died, and the 9/11 Memorial, and I have personally heard many stories of health issues that arose among groups of recovery workers or individuals, including cancers. There have been health problems, and it's no coincidence. It's more likely that those who were exposed to the site for a longer period of time developed issues, but when it comes to the variety of toxins that day, you never know. I know people who wound up having cement in their sinuses from breathing in the dust - pulverized cement - and once exposed to the moisture in their noses, it re-hardened and they had to have it surgically removed. It was crazy stuff, and the average American doesn't know the half of it.
I am amazed by how many people not from the area have never heard of all the 9-11 illnesses. I remember when the first responder in the iconic rubble pile photo died of a rare lung disease. That area was highly toxic and the government lied its ass off about it.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:46 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,045,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I am amazed by how many people not from the area have never heard of all the 9-11 illnesses. I remember when the first responder in the iconic rubble pile photo died of a rare lung disease. That area was highly toxic and the government lied its ass off about it.
I'm really not that surprised, I just wish once told - and shown proof - people would be like, oh okay. I see it now. Instead of claiming what I said "has no meaning." I've always said it, only people in the NYC area really know what 9/11 was like. People living away from here just don't get it like we do. Sure, it was terrible for the country and most of the world, I get that, but it boggles my mind how uneducated some people are on the most basic 9/11 facts, and how desensitized they seem to be about the whole thing. I just don't think it's the same for them. I think the DC area, Boston area, and CA come the closest to knowing like we know because obviously the Pentagon, 2 flights came out of Boston, and all were going to CA, so lots of people from those areas died.

Anyway, yes it was a toxic area. And IMHO there was no way they didn't know. They lied. They lied to not scare people away from staying in lower Manhattan - companies, residents. Maybe hey honestly didn't know just how bad it was, but how could they not know that would be toxic? They didn't want people to flee the region so they tried to appease everyone and it turns out what they said was a lie, and I think most everybody knows that now... or apparently not.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:11 PM

8,446 posts, read 4,773,470 times
Quote:
Most likely not. Not unless it can be proven that the cancer was directly linked. Lung cancer would be easier to prove. Stomach cancer may be a result of the drugs and alcohol she took in the following years (or it may be a fluke or genetics). But the substance abuse problems were a result of 9/11 so the event definitely killed her. The terrorists are responsible for her death, whether or not it is official doesn't matter. They won't be adding her name, or probably any others, to the Memorial Pools.
I'm not sure her drug or alcohol problems are any of our business. She wasn't a public figure, just an American who was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:27 PM

88,863 posts, read 85,293,411 times
Quote:
NYC hospitals do yearly or bi-yearly checks on first responders or recovery workers, they run programs. My friend's dad is one of them. Clearly the local medical community thinks there's a link. I don't know who wouldn't, given what was in that toxic dust.
There is a World Trade Center Health Registry. Participation is voluntary. They survey us (survivors) and first responders and track our health, physical and psychological. They will do so for 20 years.

A number of my coworkers have died of cancer, but I don't know if the stats are different from the general population. Other survivors have since died from things such as a motorcycle and a snowmobiling accident.

I developed a rare thyroid disease. Don't know if it's related, but I wonder.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:28 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,522,547 times
I had a friend in the UK whose mother, father and she died of mesothelioma because her father had worked in the building trade as an asbestos installer back in the 60's before it was known how dangerous asbestos was. He would come home at night covered in the stuff and his family, my friend, her brother and her mom would all hug him hello. They would get the asbestos dust on them.

Over the years they breathed in enough to kill them. First my friend's mom died in the late '90s. Then my friend died in 2002. Her brother was the only survivor but at that point but I don't know if he is still alive today. I wondered if this was the case with the people who were exposed to asbestos during the Towers collapse. Turned out it was.

World Trade Center - Asbestos Exposure & Health Concerns of Workers

Old 08-26-2015, 04:35 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,808,006 times
The question is what percentage of trade center survivors have gotten stomach cancer and whether this percentage is significantly higher than that of the normal population. That's the only way to know whether there's a link. Do any of us know this number? No. So we can't assume anything. If I had to venture a guess, I would imagine there's no statistically significant difference, which means that this lady died from something that, unfortunately, a certain percentage of people her age are going to die from every year as part of the normal course of events.

By the way, breathing in asbestos will give you lung cancer (30 years later)... not stomach cancer.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,679,211 times
My cousin worked at Merrill Lynch which was in one of the towers.
She developed severe allergic reactions to almost everything since 9/11.
She never had any medical problems like that before 9/11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events