Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 06:59 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,779,550 times

Advertisements

Catdad7X asks an important question:
"I ask this because I honestly don't know, were the Towers built before the ban on Asbestos?"

The environmental industry stopped the builders from coating the vertical columns with asbestos at the 78th floor. There was an article in National Geographic about it. The 9/11 terrorists were told to fly into the towers above the 78th floor because there was no asbestos on the columns above that level. The towers came down when the columns heated to the failure point. If the planes had flown into the towers at a lower level they would still be standing today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 07:10 AM

88,997 posts, read 85,529,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Our former governor. What a disservice she did to our state, which has lost 700 plus mostly on and also since 9/11.

How anyone could claim that air was safe is beyond me. Even if it was our government trying to entice people back to lower Manhattan and not scare them away.
She was already on my XX list when she WAS our governor, a multi-millionaire, and paying the much-lower farm tax rate on her property because she cut down a few trees every year and sold them as firewood.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:55 AM

37,832 posts, read 41,175,401 times
I don't understand why people continue to work in skyscrapers knowing that if there is a fire on top floors, firemen can't get to you in time to save your life and you being able to get all the way down the stairs is iffy. And not just from terrorist attacks, either. I have read books about this.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't understand why people continue to work in skyscrapers knowing that if there is a fire on top floors, firemen can't get to you in time to save your life and you being able to get all the way down the stairs is iffy. And not just from terrorist attacks, either. I have read books about this.
Because most modern buildings are designed and constructed with fire-and-life-safety features that in the case of the usual type of building fires will prevent loss of life. No one designed a building with commercial jets flying head-on into them in mind.

Millions of people work in skyscrapers around the world, and they are safe.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:54 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,682,798 times
I'm very sorry to hear about this woman and all of the others who have developed cancer and other serious health problems as a result of 9/11. It's just awful.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:52 AM

For those who are interested:

9/11 Health - Others Affected - What We Know

Old 08-27-2015, 12:15 PM

16,798 posts, read 8,784,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
People who were never at 9/11 get cancer left and right as well. Is there anyway to tell if where someone got it from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Not that I'm aware of but just looking at that pic you can only imagine what she ingested that day.

RIP

I do not know of an actual study of people who survived 9/11 has been done, but if their cancer rates are higher than the average for the surrounding areas that would be an indicator. Heck even if they were higher than the national average, that might also lend some credence to the belief.

I would have assumed that this poor lady would have developed lung cancer rather than stomach cancer if it were related to all the particulates on her. She likely would have inhaled much more than ingested it.
So if she had developed certain types of lung cancer, and she did not work in certain industries (toll taker, brake mechanic, insulation abatement) nor lived with someone who did, that would have been a strong indicator.

So while I feel sorry for her if it is related to 9/11, it is hard to say beyond mere speculation that her stomach cancer was directly related to the terror attack.

God willing, she is now resting in peace.

`

Old 08-27-2015, 12:19 PM

16,609 posts, read 10,783,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I've always said it, only people in the NYC area really know what 9/11 was like. People living away from here just don't get it like we do. [. . .] I think the DC area, Boston area, and CA come the closest to knowing like we know because obviously the Pentagon
I had friends who live in north-central New Jersey, and shortly after 9/11 my wife and I were talking to them, and they were going on and on about it in a manner that suggested that no one apart from the NYC area had the least comprehension of what had gone on. Keep in mind, we live only about 40 miles or so from the Pentagon, and I was involved with managing the post-attack de-facto evacuation from D.C. on that day. The whole tone of "We're the victims and no one else is" got so annoying that finally I just said, "You know, we were attacked too." And it was as if you could see the light bulb go on over their heads.

Also around that time, we went to the Billy Joel concert at the Verizon Center in D.C. (For those who don't know, Billy Joel is a New Yorker.) He was talking about the attacks on the World Trade Center in-between songs, and suddenly you could see the realization pop into his head. "Those [bad words] got you too" he remarked.

I realize that the New York area bore the brunt of the attack. There's absolutely no question about that. But there are some (and I'm not accusing JerseyGirl415 of this, but her comment brought this to the front of my mind) who seem to think that NY was the ONLY place that was impacted. And that attitude demeans the loss and the trauma that others of us suffered on that day.

As for the immediate topic of this thread, I'm sorry to hear about "Dust Lady," and condolences to her friends and family. That picture of her is one of many images from that day that are seared into my brain.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:26 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,343,435 times
14 years later, 9/11 is still claiming victims of that awful tragedy. May she RIP.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:32 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,358,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Asbestos was a very prevalent building material when the WTC was built. The SOP during remodeling/reconfiguring space was to contain, not remove it. Respiratory Cancer would be a more common consequence than stomach Cancer.

Often the remove of asbestos cauases more damage than leaving it alone. Asbestos floor tiles for example are only dangerous if you physically disturb them say by grinding. Many asbestos containing materials are only removed when they are either becoming friable or during renovations. Asbestos is sort of like cigarettes, a pack of cigarettes sitting on the table does not harm, light one and it does. For stomach cancer I would guess that the toxic mixtures of dusts and chemicals are more likley than asbestos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events