Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:16 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,042,213 times

Advertisements

My two cents:

Asbestos WAS in the building on 9/11. Much had been removed in the 80s, but some areas were sealed as it was more dangerous to remove it. This was fine in normal circumstances.

As some of you know, my Dad was employed there from 1971 to 1979 on the B2 level and survived that explosion. Many of the workers there had been exposed to asbestos over the years through their work. At least one of my Father's bosses died of stomach cancer from asbestos exposure. Several more have Meso. Dad has a dormant spot in his lung.

My brother is a first responder - paramedic - and has developed a rare, incurable blood condition. This particular disease is suddenly on the uprise in this area. Experienced doctors and nurses have commented to him that they never saw the disease in their careers until recently. The medical registry is recording increases in cancer, blood diseases, respiratory diseases and skin conditions people who were exposed, even for one day.

It has just begun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 08:28 PM

88,689 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
My two cents:

Asbestos WAS in the building on 9/11. Much had been removed in the 80s, but some areas were sealed as it was more dangerous to remove it. This was fine in normal circumstances.

As some of you know, my Dad was employed there from 1971 to 1979 on the B2 level and survived that explosion. Many of the workers there had been exposed to asbestos over the years through their work. At least one of my Father's bosses died of stomach cancer from asbestos exposure. Several more have Meso. Dad has a dormant spot in his lung.

My brother is a first responder - paramedic - and has developed a rare, incurable blood condition. This particular disease is suddenly on the uprise in this area. Experienced doctors and nurses have commented to him that they never saw the disease in their careers until recently. The medical registry is recording increases in cancer, blood diseases, respiratory diseases and skin conditions people who were exposed, even for one day.

It has just begun.
To clarify my early post about the ongoing ACM removal during tenant alterations--yes, sometimes they did encapsulate it rather than remove it. There were different types--insulation, tiles, etc.--and the type and location might determine whether it was encapsulated or removed.

However, it was only dealt with as it became necessary/was in danger of being disturbed, so there was still quite a bit in the buildings that was released when they went down.

I am so sorry to hear this about your brother. I have not heard of this blood condition. Any info you can point me to where I could learn more about it would be appreciated.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:14 PM

78,581 posts, read 60,785,925 times
Hey guys, lots of insulation can cause lung and cancer issues but just isn't as bad as Asbestos.

We will never know the full truth but even if the buildings were completely asbestos free there are a lot of things that are not meant to be burned or vaportized and inhaled like computer monitors, binders and a host of other items.

Hell, I wouldn't want to stand over a mound of plastic in\out boxes for a day while they burned on a pile.

We will never know. Godspeed to her family.

Signed,
A cancer widower.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:22 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,653,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I'm doubtful a single day of exposure caused her cancer. First responders worked 12 hour days for weeks on end being exposed to asbestos and other harmful particulates.

And many of them are quite ill or have died.

Donna Summer was convinced her cancer was a result of ingesting all of the dust particles during 9/11.

This woman worked in a department where management told them to remain at their desks. She wisely disobeyed orders and left.

The effects of that day seemed to ruin the rest of her life. RIP.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:49 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,042,213 times
The B levels still had asbestos. We were worried about Dad after 2/93.

MQ - I pm'd you

Old 08-26-2015, 09:54 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,181,161 times
I feel bad for the lady, but I can't help that this is another Cecil the Lion.

The media tells you someone or something you never heard of or haven't thought of in years was famous and just died. Now you feel outraged/sad because come on everyone knew insert nonfamous famous person because they wouldn't have said so on tv if it wasn't true so you're su,pathetically outraged/sad to fit in. Never mind that until they died you had no idea insert nonfamous famous person existed/was still alive

Old 08-26-2015, 10:20 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,907,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
There was asbestos on some of the floors of at least one tower.
If it was in one it was in the other.

Old 08-27-2015, 05:33 AM

88,689 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hey guys, lots of insulation can cause lung and cancer issues but just isn't as bad as Asbestos.

We will never know the full truth but even if the buildings were completely asbestos free there are a lot of things that are not meant to be burned or vaportized and inhaled like computer monitors, binders and a host of other items.

Hell, I wouldn't want to stand over a mound of plastic in\out boxes for a day while they burned on a pile.

We will never know. Godspeed to her family.

Signed,
A cancer widower.
I remember reading something about the amount of lead in every computer back then times the number of computers in the buildings. Office furniture, carpeting, they're full of toxins that were released in the smoke.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:11 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,046,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
People who were never at 9/11 get cancer left and right as well. Is there anyway to tell if where someone got it from?
Asbestos has been linked to cancer. So yeah, breathing a large amount of it would be consistent with someone contracting cancer. I doubt that many doctors would hesitate to put it on a death certificate as the likely cause of death.

Old 08-27-2015, 06:23 AM

653 posts, read 787,598 times
9/11 is still claiming lives, even after 14 years have passed. There is no doubt in my mind that her condition is linked to her exposure to all that debris. Many people have suffered from different illnesses because of their exposure on that day. This lady's story is shared by hundreds, if not thousands more.

RIP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events