Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 06:20 PM

779 posts, read 632,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue3 View Post
It takes a special kind of poor reporting to concoct a headline like MSNBC's after what Guilliani actually said.

What the former Mayor said was, most blacks who are victimized in crimes (or killed in homicides) are victimized by other blacks - and in those cases the offenders are civilians. By like 93%.

How did MSNBC headline it? "Giuliani: Black violence is reason for white cops in Ferguson"

No, Ferguson has white cops because that is who (1) applied for the job, and (2) passed the screening, and (3) graduated from the police academy, and (4) were hired. For the record, Ferguson also hired black officers. And female officers. And Hispanic officers. And K-9 officers. And horseback officers. And DARE officers. And FBI National Academy graduate officers.

No wonder there are so many confused citizens out there...
They headlined it that way because he said ""White police*officers won't be there if you weren't killing each other 70% of the time,"*

I get why there are a lot of black cops I don't think having more black cops will really solve the problem. Maybe making time to go to community events, canvas the community during the day on foot along with some community leaders, and other things that might help them to get to know the community that they serve may help. More people might learn to trust them and the cops might get to know who the real trouble makers are. They may already being doing this.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:20 PM

607 posts, read 760,662 times
How about that guy from Fresh Prince?......

Old 11-25-2014, 06:27 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I wonder what would happen if a black police officer had shot this thug and there was no grand jury indictment? Would there still be rioting and protesting?
I've wondered about that too. I think there may have still been some protests, but not on the level we've seen there. One thing is for sure, it wouldn't have become the media darling that it is. The last mention of it on the network news would have been back in August.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:27 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
I feel horrible for the barber shop owner interviewed today. He was teary-eyed, talking about how he had no other way to feed or provide for his family.
I heard a Black woman owner of a beauty salon that was destroyed being interviewed today. She was wondering how she was going to feed her children with her source of income gone. It was heartbreaking.

This isn't a racial issue. It's much bigger than that. This is the age-old struggle between people who try to do the right thing and people who revel in chaos and hatred and especially those who find monetary gain in doing so.

And I sat last night listening to the broadcast and thinking about the tremendous, enormous amount of money and constructive endeavor that has been spent for this single death when every day many law-abiding citizens are dying unnoticed and unremarked.

The Brown family may never stop to think about the efforts that were made on their behalf to ensure that they got justice.

I saw the sobbing child crying over her mother's shoulder trying to comfort her hysterical mom and thought, This isn't right. That child is being further traumatized by this atmosphere of rage and drama.

Wouldn't it have been better for mom to have saved her rage for a time when her children weren't present and at the present focus on the kids who have also lost a close family member?

There are a lot of powerful people and organizations who have made money manipulating the people there who chose to make their decisions based on their emotions rather than rational thought.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:30 PM

16,542 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Just weed, though, right? That usually makes people more mellow. Did he have booze in his system as well?
I am so sick of people assuming "weed" only makes people mellow. Just like booze can make people mellow, it can also make them violent, goofy, depressed, etc., as can THC. Furthermore different types of booze effects different people. The same is true of pot.
Heck the lunatic who chewed off another guys face was high on pot, even though it was blamed on other factors. Did pot give him the munchies for human flesh?

I don't like to compare pot with booze because that is the tact that dopers always take, and cannot make a coherent case for pot without comparing it to some other malady. But in this case I can at least use their favorite comparative analogy to try and get through their smoke filled skulls.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:39 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,227,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
There was no justice with that "Grand Jury." Sad, tragic day for Michael's loved ones and for human rights in America.
It's a sad tragic day because certain people will use any excuse to loot, vandalize, and riot for a person they do not even know. It's tragic because Michael Brown did not have the best character. It has nothing to do with him being black, but a criminal that was leading to a bad path.

People need to stop focusing on his color. He was most likely going to be a career criminal regardless of his race.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:40 PM

16,542 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Cry me a river. Darren Wilson can get over his trauma and his life can change for the better. All Michael Brown can do is lie there and rot. His life was the only one that changed forever.
Michael Brown choose his own fate by robbing the store, then thinking he was going to somehow take on an armed LEO and come out the victor. He was mistaken and paid the price.
He made his bed and will now be sleeping in it. Hopefully his life was not so bad as to damn his soul to eternal damnation.

While Darren Wilson did chose his line of work, he probably never expected to be in that type of situation. You say he will get over it, but it is not going to be as easy as you imply. His life, along with any future partner he may have will be in greater danger. So to will his family face challenges, and their safety might be in jeopardy as well. They may very well have to move away, and if he continues his career, he might be relegated to working in predominately white communities.

It is easy to pontificate how others should feel, but if you were in his shoes, I don't you would be so cavalier about your own future.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:41 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
I wonder how many hours Wilson rehearsed his grand jury testimony. And how many lawyers helped him fabricate it.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:43 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,642 times
If wilson is telling the truth then he did the right thing. Nobody is going to let someone the size of a pro football player get them to the ground and beat them to a pulp. Good on the cop.

Old 11-25-2014, 06:51 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I am so sick of people assuming "weed" only makes people mellow. Just like booze can make people mellow, it can also make them violent, goofy, depressed, etc., as can THC. Furthermore different types of booze effects different people. The same is true of pot.
Heck the lunatic who chewed off another guys face was high on pot, even though it was blamed on other factors. Did pot give him the munchies for human flesh?

I don't like to compare pot with booze because that is the tact that dopers always take, and cannot make a coherent case for pot without comparing it to some other malady. But in this case I can at least use their favorite comparative analogy to try and get through their smoke filled skulls.
I haven't smoked pot in over twenty years, so you can bag that assumption.

I have gotten stupid drunk on more than one occasion, and mike brown's behavior seemed more like that of an angry drunk than a typical pothead. Maybe he was just mean and stupid all of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events