Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2014, 02:38 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
The witnesses that told similar stories to the officer are what kept him from being charged.

They are the same people that are seeking protection and relocation (by the NAACP) out of fear of the Brown supporters.

Stay classy guys.
And that is why the Grand Jury is as secretive as it is, so that witnesses are able to testify and remain anonymous. I know there are plenty of people demanding to know who the witnesses and jury members were, but that isn't information that should be released.

During one of the press conferences yesterday someone asked if they could be given more information about each jury member besides there age, race, and sex. Like were they expecting to go to this press conference and be given their names, home addresses, and phone numbers?

Old 11-25-2014, 02:39 PM

779 posts, read 632,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
This is a rambling kind of comment and it's hard to see what your main point is. It sounds as though you believe that society, including the black citizenry, fully recognize the socio-economic problems that plague the lower income black communities. Further you feel we need to talk about all crime and not isolate it to black crime (despite disproportionate involvement of blacks in crimes). Finally you feel Obama is not black enough (?) and says stuff... not sure what you mean.

In fact, people do NOT talk about crime, at least publicly, because it would be politically incorrect, and insensitive to our friends of color, etc. etc. etc.

Here's an article in American Thinker a few months ago that outlines the reluctance of mainstream society to discuss race and crime in the U.S. Baltimore has a huge crime rate that is downplayed by the municipal authorities so as not to offend or alarm the masses.

In fact Baltimore according to news reports in recent days now has the 5th highest crime rates in the country. Why Baltimore? What is it about that beautiful, cultural and historical city that causes so much trouble? It's peopled with professionals and federal bureaucrats. Plus a large neighborhood of low income black people, which is where much of the violent crime originates.

It will take courageous municipal and national leadership to expose these problems to the light of day, and begin to solve them. I favor a two pronged approach: first, enforce the laws and throw the crooks in jail, and secondly focus on economic development to give the youth population an alternative to street life.

Unlike what the cowardly mayor of Baltimore has done in actually looking the other way and pretending the problems don't exist, we have to talk about our problems which is the first step toward solving them.
It should have made sense when compared to the person that I was talking to in the other reply. My apologies if there was some or a lot of confusion.

I did mean that people "including the black citizenry" recognize what you stated. I do feel that a discussion on crime and solutions would be helpful across the spectrum of races as the us against them shouldn't be seen as simply non-criminal blacks vs criminal-blacks despite disproportionate numbers (with the exception of rape. There may be more crimes to which this is an exception but I am not sure).

I feel like Obama is black enough. The person to whom I replied mentioned his actual skin tone and that is what part of that piece of the post was about. The other part was that Obama has spoken on the topic that the other poster thinks that he has not.

You and your friends may not talk about it in mixed company but living in a city such as this I can tell you that it is a topic that comes up. Perhaps, in some places people are too sensitive or are not actively trying to do something. That is not the case in my city and in my world. I do believe that in cities like Atlanta, LA, Baltimore, etc there are things being done. You can find organizations, groups, communities all doing various things in order to combat crime, reach young people before it is too late, organize the community and strengthen their position in the city. When you say mainstream society, do you mean white people or rich people or just exactly who do you mean? I specifically meant people who are living in the communities, those who are from them, and those who chose to reach into them and help. They would not be mainstream as their numbers would equal a much smaller portion of the US population. More can always be done. I am sure that they would welcome any extra help or ideas that could make even a small difference.

You use Baltimore as an example. Here they are marching about it which means they organized which means they talked about it
Mayor And City Police March Through The Streets To Reduce Crime « CBS Baltimore
Then we have info on the mayor and her initiatives and a speech in which she wants longer sentencing for gun crimes.
Mayor's Office on Criminal Justice
https://www.baltimorebrew.com/baltim...-possession-2/
Is she not really implementing the things that she is saying that she would? Did she change her mind about trying to implement the extended sentencing?

Old 11-25-2014, 02:43 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Darren Wilson's grand jury testimony released - CNN.com

I read through 40 of the 95 page PDF of what Wilson said happened and (if what he said was indeed true), there was no way you could persecute him, because Mike brown was clearly not a saint in any of this.

Summary

-This is not a nice area and is known for gangs
-2 men walking side by side in the middle of the road to the point where cars were having problems moving around them
-he ask them to move and Mike Brown tells him " F### what you have to say"
-he noticed they match the description of the store robbers and backs up and tells Brown to come here
-Brown and him get into a fight in which Brown punched him and tries to grab his gun and tells him he is too much is a P*$$y to shoot him
-Brown gets shot in the hand as a result of the altercation and runs
- A foot pursuit begins and Brown turns around and charges the officer and gets shot dead. This matches that dudes story who didnt know he was on camera and pretty much told the entire events of what happened how Brown was fighting with Wilson and came back at him before he was shot.

Considering Wilson didnt have a taser, what else was he to do. Like I said this is all assuming that Wilsons testimony was indeed true and if it was, there is no way in the world you can charge him with murder when he was attacked and charged by someone much bigger than him who already tried to take his gun.

Me personally I think Mike Brown deserved to get the ***** tasered out of him for how he was acting, but since there was no taser, we all know the end results. Im black and my opionon might not sit well with some of my friends, but we need to to also look at the facts and see both sides of the story. I didnt buy Dorian Johnson's testimony for one second as it just didnt add up.

Lesson learned here: Respect authority!!! If Mike Brown simply got out the middle of the road, we would not even be here today discussing this.
His testimony was after spending time preparing with his lawyers and knowing all of the facts and what the other side would say (since he's a police officer).

His 1st interview with investigators was not taped (which is insane) and he lawyered up before interview #2 anyway.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:43 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Hey, we vigorously prosecute our Charles Manson, Son of Sam's, Ramirez' and we do NOT riot when they get convicted or exonerated. We only ask the same. So what does it tell you about the black community that is "not sitting down" and does NOTHING about those murders in Chicago that have been ongoing for years? Open Air Drug Markets in you pick-the-major city?

Or Holder's rants? Can you even imagine a white AG acting like that? Imagine if one were Republican and white acting that way?

Crickets....Actions do speak louder than words.
EXACTLY, well said.

I am so very proud that the Grand Jury performed well.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:47 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,010,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Buck View Post
How much to I know about the other race? About the other class? About the other socio-economic status? Do I have a right to chime in, or should I investigate more and become more sensitive? And finally, what is something POSITIVE I can do to ensure this doesn't happen in the future?
Why?

This entire affair has NOTHING to do with race, or economic class. Any attempt to label it as such is merely a charade to attempt to avoid the real issue. The real issue is character. Character leads to the choices that individuals make in their every day lives.
  • Had Mike Brown not chosen to rob the convenience store he may be alive today.
  • Had Mike Brown not chosen to walk down the middle of the street he may be alive today.
  • Had Mike Brown taken the police advice to walk on the sidewalk he may be alive today.
  • Had Mike Brown not chosen to assault a police officer he almost certainly be alive today.

Why do so many in our society lack character? That's a good question. Children raised in stable homes with two parents have a much better chance of growing up with character. I've not seen any indications that Mike Brown's parents/step-parents have character themselves, so we have a good clue why this turned out the way it did.

Dave

Old 11-25-2014, 02:47 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Destroying property is not gonna win you support from the country and international community. This is another reason why blacks continue to set their race back with these senseless violence and unjust retaliations.
You and your ilk need to sthu with that bs. Those idiots in Ferguson that are looting and destroying property has nothing to do with me and my family and other blacks in this country.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:48 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
One thing common about a lot of these cases similar to Travon Martin is people forget facts and ignored hard evidence or they lack the sophistication to understand them.

When a criminologist studies the weapon discharges, bullet entry, exit paths, trajectory, blood splatter evidence they can draw and validate the events and crime scene.

Maybe instead of watching sports, people should watch NCIS and Law and Order.

Darren Wilson cannot get away with murder unless he knew as a cop he had sufficient evidence to back up his claim.

There is also no intent or motive for officer Wilson to kill him, these are important findings to build a case.

Even if an indictment were to go through, officer Wilson would easily beat the case with the crime scene evidence.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:50 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
And yet no one started recording it with their phone, that's the first thing people do these days.
I'm sure it all happened so quickly, that people didn't even realize what was going on. Or they were shocked over what they were witnessing, that pulling out their phones to record it didn't even register at the time.

Wilson encounters Michael Brown at 12:01 and by 12:04 a second officer had already responded to the scene. So in those 3 minutes Michal Brown is asked to get out of the street, is recognized as the robbery suspect, and the struggle and shooting happens. I doubt anyone would whip out their phones and start recording when an officer asks two men to get out of the street, or when one of the men starts back talking to the officer. No one probably payed any attention to what was happening until the shots were fired in the car, and by that time Michael Brown was probably dead in less then a minute.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:51 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
He wouldnt have to rot if he wouldnt have robbed a store, rushed a cop, and tried to get the cop's gun, now would he? Its typical for people like you to look past the root cause.
And it's typical for people like you to try to justify a bad cop's actions.
Bad cops are just as bad as criminals in their own way.

Dead is dead. Brown did not die by his own hand, whether or not his decisions were bad. Wilson made worse decisions that concluded with a dead kid. There was nothing you mentioned that was worthy of his death.

Stores get robbed and cops get rushed every day without anyone dying. That's a might weak excuse.

No one should be left out on a hot street to die and then lay there for 4 more hours. The worst person in the world deserves a little better than that. Wilson was a bad cop, working for a badder town.

If it had not been Michael Brown, it would have been some other black kid, and the town would have blown up. it was inevitable. The city of Ferguson worked very hard for a very long time to get what it finally got.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:56 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,936,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
You and your ilk need to sthu with that bs. Those idiots in Ferguson that are looting and destroying property has nothing to do with me and my family and other blacks in this country.
I agree... There are good and bad in all races.. Unfortunately the bad is what is always remembered.. And with this type of bad, people of all races will remember ti for a long time....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events