Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2011, 08:59 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,166,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I really accomplished a lot yesterday. The garden is now ready for planting; I got all the leaves and junk out of it, and tilled the soil. I think the wet leaves/decomposing helped the soil as far as nutrients. Also, the bamboo grove looks great! I was worried there for awhile back in January, with the storms coming back to back and all the heavy snow. Normally we don't get all that much snow on the Connecticut coast - about 20 inches or so, so my bamboo never really had a big test in the last 7 or 8 years. Thank god the heavy snow really was confined to mostly just January. The cold wind chills back in January also had me worried: Most bamboo really suffer when wind chills get down to less than about 10 F. We had several nights down here on the Connecticut coast/Long Island that fell into the 5 F range and were really windy – but the bamboo seems to have done fine. The warming weather the past week and the rainfall have helped a lot. My little Southeast Asian rainforest is intact! Here is a quick pick out the window…

Now I have to wait a few more weeks for the rest of the yard to turn green
Pretty cool looking..I have to admit. If that can survive that barrage in January then it can survive anything. Its true, I guess a prolonged cold and snowy winter would be much worse than 6 weeks or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 09:01 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,166,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Pretty cool looking..I have to admit. If that can survive that barrage in January then it can survive anything. Its true, I guess a prolonged cold and snowy winter would be much worse than 6 weeks or so.
Oh, since thats about it for snow, what were the final snow totals for the season. I know , I know, can look it up, but I am spoiled and lazy now because of this Thread.

Old 03-13-2011, 06:55 PM

83,529 posts, read 75,355,132 times
Sorry I haven't posted...Just to much going on with Japan..
Its sad and absolutely shocking.

Some Quick Facts:

There have been 358 earthquakes in the past 4 days in Japan and still ongoing as you read this.
1 at 9.0
2 between 7.0-7.9
33 6.0-6.9
206 5.0-5.9
116 4.5-4.9

The entire Main island has shifted 8 Feet closer towards the U.S

Earths Axis has tilted 6 inches so the earth is wobbling slightly differently while it rotates.(not noticeable)

If Japan has a nuclear reactor meltdown and celsium-137 is released, it could reach the West coast U.S in 36hrs.. It travels through air and attacks the spleen, muscles and liver.

March 19th there will be a Super Full Moon (Moon closest to Earth while being Full) Last time this happened was around the time of the Indonesia Tsunami Earthquake.

There are so many images and videos right now that make you think its a movie your watching but its reality and its devastating.

This is one of the most down to earth and shocking ones. You can see the cracks move in real time and the water gushing up from the cracks!

[SIZE=3]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6K6JcAB9T0&feature=player_embedded[/SIZE]

Old 03-13-2011, 08:34 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
its so saddening to see the images comming out of japan, your right, sometimes it doesnt seem real...

no fish in the pond this winter, were not quite deep enough for overwintering, but dads planning on making it deeper this year, another 12" deep and we should have a good base but i want to try and talk him into going an extra 24" (were building UP around the pond thats already in and replacing the liner...)

well be putting in a little pond heater for the winter and HOPEFULLY with the heater and added depth the pond fish can stay out for the winter. i want my BIG tank back, i loned it them 3 years ago on the basis they were goign to expand the pond...this year they dont have the option, im planning on moving to tn next spring and i need that tank empty and ready to go when i go lol.

in terms of the ich, i dont knwo how big your pond is but try adding a few GOOD heaping tablespoons of aquarium salt (and if your de-icer gives off any heat leave it turned on. ich is very resilient when on the fish, but upping the temp and adding aquariumsalt helps it dislodge so its easier to kill the nasty buggers!
im sorry you lost some

we have to get all the leaves out of ours, but were waiting for the water to warm beyond the point of ice bath lol, dad took some out yesterday...ahh that beautiful manure smell of rotting pond leaves *shudder*

im hoping the weather keeps this up for a while, its cool but not cold and i can get things done...

gota find out how much rental on a post hole digger is goign to be so we can get the chickens run done...cant do my sqft garden till the run is sorted.

can we tell i realy like the spring?! lol

Old 03-14-2011, 06:07 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Earths Axis has tilted 6 inches so the earth is wobbling slightly differently while it rotates.(not noticeable)

If Japan has a nuclear reactor meltdown and celsium-137 is released, it could reach the West coast U.S in 36hrs.. It travels through air and attacks the spleen, muscles and liver.

I feel horrible for everyone affected by the earthquake, it's just too devastating to even contemplate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post

in terms of the ich, i dont knwo how big your pond is but try adding a few GOOD heaping tablespoons of aquarium salt (and if your de-icer gives off any heat leave it turned on. ich is very resilient when on the fish, but upping the temp and adding aquariumsalt helps it dislodge so its easier to kill the nasty buggers!
im sorry you lost some
I thought of the salt, but wasn't sure if that would harm the frogs living in the pond? The pond is around 600 gallons. I do have the de-icer still on, but I doubt it helps much. The really sick fish died yesterday, and the rest look okay so far, so hopefully the worst is over.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:00 AM

the aquarium salt shouldnt harm the frogs but if the ich doesnt seem to be effecting any of the other fish i wouldnt bother treating, simply because the outbreak was likely just stress induced and now things are returning to normal, they should be ok.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:30 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
OK, seriously? It's snowing here in West Hartford? Really???

It's a very light snow, nothing is sticking, but still...

Old 03-14-2011, 08:35 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,366,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
no fish in the pond this winter, were not quite deep enough for overwintering, but dads planning on making it deeper this year, another 12" deep and we should have a good base but i want to try and talk him into going an extra 24" (were building UP around the pond thats already in and replacing the liner...)

well be putting in a little pond heater for the winter and HOPEFULLY with the heater and added depth the pond fish can stay out for the winter. i want my BIG tank back, i loned it them 3 years ago on the basis they were goign to expand the pond...this year they dont have the option, im planning on moving to tn next spring and i need that tank empty and ready to go when i go lol.

im hoping the weather keeps this up for a while, its cool but not cold and i can get things done...

gota find out how much rental on a post hole digger is goign to be so we can get the chickens run done...cant do my sqft garden till the run is sorted.

can we tell i realy like the spring?! lol
That’s exactly what I was going to say: I've been told that If your pond is not deep enough that can be a problem when attempt to overwintering fish. Although I know very little about how they do it/what they do - several people that I have sold bamboo to have modest Asian gardens with fish that overwinter in their ponds. I have seen small circulators (heat/oxygen?) that they run from December to early March.

As far as spring – I’m with you , the best time of year! The surge of how fast everything turns green is always amazing to me each year. Weather-wise we should see a good surge of warmth by mid week with highs in the 55 to 60 F range. In fact, we have been running a bit above normal temp wise so far in March - and the weather overall looks to stay fairly warm and a bit dry. So with the extra daylight in the afternoon now I expect to get a lot done after work. That’s the plan at least. I also noticed the Forsythia down here in southern Connecticut are getting yellowish – so they are getting closer to popping.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:48 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
OK, seriously? It's snowing here in West Hartford? Really???

It's a very light snow, nothing is sticking, but still...
It is snowing here in Glastonbury too. Nothing is sticking but it is coming down lightly. Jay

Old 03-14-2011, 04:58 PM

i came out of the Y this morning after my time in the gym to flurries...
so heres me, stood in the middle of the parkinglot, shaking my fist at the sky...i told it since we had already turned the clocks forward it must follow the rules and subit to the fact spring is comming...it stopped soon after...
its good to know it listend...even if the kids from the school were giving me looks like id lost my mind :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut