Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 10:50 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
With all due respect..hard to have sympathy for people who build /rebuild in flood prone areas. Its like building a house on a flood plain then wondering who is going to pay for the damages when the floods come. Or better yet, building a house on the ocean, then wondering why insurance premiums are so high. There are certain places you just don't build houses on without repercussions.
I agree with you. He loves to be on the water though and to be able to fish right off his back porch. He likes the sound of the water pass by. It is a beautiful setting but I would not want to worry everytime there is a large rainstorm. To each their own I guess. I am wondering if they can force him out. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 11:02 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am wondering if they can force him out. Jay
I believe this is what they are considering in Oxford. Everytime there is a rainstorm and the dam is opened, the neighborhood of cottages floods. Not just floods, but it's like running rapids so it is very dangerous for the residents and emergency personnel.

There are numerous plots of land near my house in Branford that previously had homes on them. Looking at it now, I can't believe people actually lived there.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:38 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,166,459 times
Quote:
I agree with you. He loves to be on the water though and to be able to fish right off his back porch. He likes the sound of the water pass by. It is a beautiful setting but I would not want to worry everytime there is a large rainstorm. To each their own I guess. I am wondering if they can force him out. Jay
See thats what I am wondering... Insurance costs and other factors may not allow him to stay.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:13 PM

83,527 posts, read 75,355,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
What radar are you referring to, and what are the latest totals forecast? I'm still seeing high rain totals, I hope you are right.
I see that also that they havent changed the total forecast which is even more alarming. 1. Storm slowed down. 2. Will the same amount fall in a shorter time period?

The radar at 11am wasnts looking impressive... but now the storm seems to be getting its act together...a little later than I thought. Its on the way. Looks like 1.5-2.5" still in store. 2.5-3" in far NW CT

Last edited by Cambium; 03-10-2011 at 01:23 PM..

Old 03-10-2011, 01:30 PM

Two Lows about to form as one and head NorthEast

Old 03-10-2011, 03:14 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,417,948 times
Quote:

I'm not sure if they should force him out. But I think limiting FEMA & other aid would be smart. You should be able to live where you want, but it should be your risk. I shake my head every time I end up in Fairfield & see those big homes right on the water on what is pretty much a sand bar.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:06 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
I'm not sure if they should force him out. But I think limiting FEMA & other aid would be smart. You should be able to live where you want, but it should be your risk. I shake my head every time I end up in Fairfield & see those big homes right on the water on what is pretty much a sand bar.
I agree with this for the most part - but what about the people who have to come to the aid of these folks when waves are slapping at their exterior walls? The firefighters who responded in Oxford earlier this week fought rushing waters, and in Southbury they had to hop in boats past debris to get to people in their homes. Emergency personnel can't deny service, and flooding in these parts is recurring.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:33 PM

Looks like the Low is staying further West...Big break for us. The heaviest will be falling overnight and early morning but totals will be less then 2"...Maybe some rumbles of thunder. Maybe a light mix/snow tomorrow night.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:55 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Even worse for my cousin is that he was hospitalized this morning right after I talked to him. They are trying to figure out what is wrong but he has severe groin pain. I just found this out. Waiting to hear more. Jay

Old 03-10-2011, 08:06 PM

308 posts, read 680,353 times
I'll keep him in my prayers. I'm so sorry he is going through this.
Quote:
Even worse for my cousin is that he was hospitalized this morning right after I talked to him. They are trying to figure out what is wrong but he has severe groin pain. I just found this out. Waiting to hear more. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut