Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2011, 10:10 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

I am tired of the bickering and nasty comments on this thread. If you do not like what someone has posted you can say so without getting nasty. If you do not like the direction of the thread, then do not read it. I will be watching these threads closely and issuing warnings and infractions if people are out of line. JayCT, Moderator
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 10:54 AM

308 posts, read 680,163 times
Jay, is it possible to start a thread dedicated solely to winter/snow enthusiasts? I think this would be a remedy to the bickering and keep the peace. There are two passionate sides of the weather equation in the current weather thread and they cannot peacefully co-exist in this one thread. I hope you will give serious consideration to my proposal. It would be best for all concerned. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am tired of the bickering and nasty comments on this thread. If you do not like what someone has posted you can say so without getting nasty. If you do not like the direction of the thread, then do not read it. I will be watching these threads closely and issuing warnings and infractions if people are out of line. JayCT, Moderator

Old 11-04-2011, 11:33 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Agreed though I think NYC and Bridgeport are closer to (though still a bit under) 30" as the average.
According to the NWS Upton = NYC (Central Park) averages 26 inches and NWS Bridgeport 31 inches. However, both stations had 22 and 24 inches before the new “normals” came out back in October. NWS Danbury shows 50 inches and the reporting station at Norwich shows 21 inches. I don’t know in the Bridgeport number is a mistake or not.

The NOAA map from about 5 years ago better shows how seasonal snowfall rapidly tapers from northwest to southeast. No matter what the real numbers are....you can see the difference between points west and north and points east and south. I guess if you hate snow you live east of New Haven along the coast…and if you love snow you should move to far Northwestern CT:

Old 11-04-2011, 01:06 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaOnMyMind View Post
Jay, is it possible to start a thread dedicated solely to winter/snow enthusiasts? I think this would be a remedy to the bickering and keep the peace. There are two passionate sides of the weather equation in the current weather thread and they cannot peacefully co-exist in this one thread. I hope you will give serious consideration to my proposal. It would be best for all concerned. Thank you.
There is a separate "Weather" section of the "General Forums" section. This is just a "regional weather" thread; in fact, Cambium has started one for Vermont in that state's section.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:05 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaOnMyMind View Post

If you're on Facebook like this page... The guy is a history buff on snowstorms. He just wrote "Very interesting - Many major snowstorms and blizzards occurred either right on Christmas or the day after in the northeast!! 1764, 1778, 1811, 1872, 1909, 1912, 1933, 1947, 1966, 2002, 2010 to name a few... "
David Paterno Weather Fan Page | Facebook

Old 11-05-2011, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Thursday November 10th is the next system. It actually retrogrades from the Atlantic. Temps will be warm enough for all rain.

No snow in sight yet up until Mid month.
Ooops. I guess the eyes needs to stay open now because the Latest data shows the idea of elevation snows. (Litchfield County)

Lets see how consistant it is. I'm confident a storm will happen around the 10th though.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:40 AM

Here I thought I was going to go through the weekend without posting.

From Upton:

AN UPPER TROUGH AND SURFACE COLD FRONT WILL APPROACH FROM THE WEST AND SOUTHWEST. LOW PRESSURE IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP ALONG THIS FRONT NEAR THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST AND MOVE NORTHWARD ACROSS THE AREA LATE IN THE WEEK. 12Z GFS/ECMWF AGREE ON THIS SCENARIO...WITH GFS BEING 6-12 HOURS FASTER IN TIMING.

FORECAST KEEPS DRY WEATHER IN TUESDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY...THEN SLIGHT CHANCE TO CHANCE POPS WEDNESDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT AS THE LOW MOVES ACROSS THE REGION AND INTO NEW ENGLAND.

ALL PRECIP IS EXPECTED TO BE IN THE FORM OF RAIN MOST OF THIS PERIOD...WITH THE ONLY EXCEPTION BEING SOME POSSIBLE LINGERING LIGHT SNOW OVER THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY AND INTERIOR CONNECTICUT LATE FRIDAY NIGHT AS COLD AIR FILTERS INTO THE REGION BEHIND THE DEPARTING LOW

Old 11-05-2011, 06:43 AM

Just found the new 30 day precip forecast as well. It seems to show dry conditions for much of November and early December for the Gulf states right up the East Coast to the southern parts of the Tri-State area. So sunshine should be the rule much of this month I would think:

Interesting how the temp profiles seem to follow the forecast precip this month.

Last edited by wavehunter007; 11-05-2011 at 07:36 AM..

Old 11-05-2011, 07:05 AM

Bridgeport Location:

Yesterdays High Temp: 54
Yesterdays low temp: 38
Yesterdays record high 78 in 1975
Yesterdays record low 26 in 1951

Todays Normal High: 57
Todays normal Low 41
Todays record high: 72
Todays record low 26

SUNRISE AND SUNSET
NOVEMBER 5 2011......
SUNRISE 728 AM EDT
SUNSET 544 PM EDT

NOVEMBER 6 2011......
SUNRISE 629 AM EST
SUNSET 443 PM EST

Fall Back 1 Hour tonight.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:38 AM

I'll see what the 90 outlook is soon. This could be a very dry start to late fall and early winter based on this forecast:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut