Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 04:17 PM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Can you guys imagine this forecast? I wonder how they are preparing out there. I heard emergency centers are opening today.

This is from NWS of Alaska...

What NWS forecasters in Fairbanks, Alaska, are calling an “extremely dangerous and life threatening storm of an epic magnitude rarely experienced” is rapidly strengthening and beginning to impact coastal communities and the western Alaska mainland.

The brunt of the storm is expected to reach Nome, Alaska, this evening, with hurricane-force winds and tremendous coastal storm surge. Currently, there are 35-foot waves and 100 mph winds in the open waters as the storm moves at 60 mph toward the western Alaska coastline. Storm surge into Norton Sound is expected to raise waters to 10 feet above normal through Wednesday, causing devastating beach erosion. Flooding could push Norton Bay ice on shore.

Seas are forecast to rise along the coastline Tuesday afternoon and gain height rapidly at night before cresting in Nome on Wednesday. Coastal Flood and Blizzard Warnings are in effect from Tuesday through Wednesday night for most of the west coast of Alaska.

More info...

Special Weather Statement from NWS Fairbanks Weather Forecast Office:
http://pafg.arh.noaa.gov/wmofcst.php?wmo=WWAK82PAFG&type=public

NWS Alaska Region Headquarters:
http://www.arh.noaa.gov/

NWS Ocean Prediction Center:
http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 06:44 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Can you guys imagine this forecast? I wonder how they are preparing out there. I heard emergency centers are opening today.

This is from NWS of Alaska...

What NWS forecasters in Fairbanks, Alaska, are calling an “extremely dangerous and life threatening storm of an epic magnitude rarely experienced” is rapidly strengthening and beginning to impact coastal communities and the western Alaska mainland.

The brunt of the storm is expected to reach Nome, Alaska, this evening, with hurricane-force winds and tremendous coastal storm surge. Currently, there are 35-foot waves and 100 mph winds in the open waters as the storm moves at 60 mph toward the western Alaska coastline. Storm surge into Norton Sound is expected to raise waters to 10 feet above normal through Wednesday, causing devastating beach erosion. Flooding could push Norton Bay ice on shore.

Seas are forecast to rise along the coastline Tuesday afternoon and gain height rapidly at night before cresting in Nome on Wednesday. Coastal Flood and Blizzard Warnings are in effect from Tuesday through Wednesday night for most of the west coast of Alaska.

More info...

Special Weather Statement from NWS Fairbanks Weather Forecast Office:
http://pafg.arh.noaa.gov/wmofcst.php?wmo=WWAK82PAFG&type=public

NWS Alaska Region Headquarters:
http://www.arh.noaa.gov/

NWS Ocean Prediction Center:
http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/
Amazing storm. I noticed many areas are going to have blizzard conditions..some with less than 1 or 2 inches of snow predicted only. With wind levels like that even an inch of snow will cause 0 visibility which is what a blizzard is really all about.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:49 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Yeah I noticed that afterwards that Islips records are just from the 80s. Kids of tomorrow are lucky to have more records then us in the distant future.
Interestingly, Islip was one of only two stations in the area (the other being Newark) to crack 70. Given it's coastal location and that Bridgeport "only" got to 64, I was kind of surprised by that (in fact, the only other one with a high of 69 was Hartford.....but I found Hartford's high interesting because it was coupled with a low of 37, nice big diurnal range......but nowhere near a record high, their record high for the date was 77 in 1975).

Old 11-08-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Amazing storm. I noticed many areas are going to have blizzard conditions..some with less than 1 or 2 inches of snow predicted only. With wind levels like that even an inch of snow will cause 0 visibility which is what a blizzard is really all about.

Yeah man..the Satellite image is amazing over there. And people forget even though 1 inch is nothing...1 inch falling in one hour produces whiteout conditions.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Yeah man..the Satellite image is amazing over there. And people forget even though 1 inch is nothing...1 inch falling in one hour produces whiteout conditions.

That thing is ferocious wow

Old 11-09-2011, 04:27 AM

Should get to low 60s again today as the cold front is being stalled a bit. Above normal but not record breaking.

BRIDGEPORT CT NORMALS FOR TODAY
MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE 56
MINIMUM TEMPERATURE 40
Records for today:
High: 69 1994
Low: 22 1971

HARTFORD CT NORMALS FOR TODAY
MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE 54
MINIMUM TEMPERATURE 35
Records for today:
High: 76 1975
Low: 19 2003, 1992, 1952

CENTRAL PARK, NY NORMALS FOR TODAY
MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE 56
MINIMUM TEMPERATURE 44
Records for today:
High: 75 1975
Low: 24 1976

Old 11-09-2011, 04:48 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
@Wavehunter: While the November temps you mention have happened several times in the past, the 70s in winter are a more recent phenomenon. Until the 1990s they were about as rare as snow in October (and still not common).
I don’t know about that....

If you look at Central Park which has the longest records – there are many, many days in the 70’s in the winter months, and manyway before the modern area. According to that page NYC hit 70 F or better on:

December 29th, 1984 (73 F)
January 14th, 1932 (70 F )
January 26th, 1950 (72 F)
Febuary 14th, 1949 (73 F)
Febuary 16th, 1954 (71 F)
Febuary 23rd, 1874 (72 F)
Febuaey 24th, 1985 (75 F)
Febuary 25th, 1930 (75 F)

...in March – EVERY DAY of the month has a record high in the 70’s and 80’s at Central Park.

I would guess that in each of the three winter months, any station in the Tri-State area has recorded 70’s many times if you had data for 300 or 400 years.

As far as yesterday - several stations hit 70 F across CT yesterday...including Meriden and Willimantic. After a brief cool shot late this week/weekend, there flow will turn right around once again and warm hill will flood across the Tri-State/Mid Atlantic on southerly winds next late next week. So it will be interesting to see. I’m not complaining, my furnace is off, so I’m saving money.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:00 AM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times
Wavehunter- look at the forecast for Kotzebue, AK and tell me those aren't blizzard conditions just because they're only forecast to get 3 to 6 inches of snow come on man.

And just because NYC has recorded temps of 70 F or above like 8 times during the winter months over the last 140 years of record keeping doesn't mean that it happens often, that means it happens like once every 18 years. So common the way you hype warm weather up is truly ridiculous.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:34 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Wavehunter- look at the forecast for Kotzebue, AK and tell me those aren't blizzard conditions just because they're only forecast to get 3 to 6 inches of snow come on man.

And just because NYC has recorded temps of 70 F or above like 8 times during the winter months over the last 140 years of record keeping doesn't mean that it happens often, that means it happens like once every 18 years. So common the way you hype warm weather up is truly ridiculous.
Boy...as soon as November comes...if the weather dosn't get cold quick,...the snow folks really get testy

Don't look at the pattern next week and beyond...you won't like it....

Old 11-09-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Boy...as soon as November comes...if the weather dosn't get cold quick,...the snow folks really get testy

Don't look at the pattern next week and beyond...you won't like it....
Same type pattern occurred last year and look what happened in January. One of the snowiest months in HISTORY!!!!

As for the blizzard thing, its not that people are being testy, you are just handing out factually incorrect information and people are trying to help set the record straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut