Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2011, 02:22 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times

Advertisements

Just to keep the hype to respectable levels (as I caught News Channel 8 this morning saying things like “two systems might merge and there will be a big snow on the way)...I don’t think so:

Most of this week will be mild in the Tri-State area – sunshine and temps near 40 F. By Friday morning, a strong trough will be forming over the eastern half of the country. The southern system will fly off the coast of North Carolina and head far out so sea well south of the Tri-State area I think. As the low passes east of MA, it might get captured by the approaching upper-level vortex, hooking the storm into Maine. So maybe northern New England might get a real snow storm. The second system, moisture starved and weak...will move through the Great Lakes and then into Western NY and into Canada. A weak low might try to get it together...but any snow amounts will be pretty light.

The air mass that follows these systems will come down into the central and eastern USA. Though temps will be a bit below normal accross the whole eastern USA...they will not be nearly as cold as the bitter air masses that hit the eastern USA in December. So unlike previous arctic outbreaks, the threat to the citrus groves in Florida will be small.Early next week looks sunny and dry with seasonable temps. One other note...as of today...it looks like the warm temps this past weekend and the rain did the fleeting snow cover in on the East Coast: there is no snow cover at all from southern Connecticut southward. Meanwhile the West is covered with snow:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 03:44 PM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Thanks for the opinion. I sure hope you are right about the weekend!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post
Hope you're right...despite all the headlines, it has hardly felt like winter around central CT so far!
Snowlovers in here now...cool. lol This model shows what Im thinking about the narrow band of heaviest snows...And because its narrow the cities will change with each update up until the very day before...Here's the consensus now... I zoomed in so you can see the counties better.

Light blue is .75 liquid so because temps wil be near 33 the snow ratios will be near 8:1 which means 6 inches for light blue areas. Looks like I'm getting 3-4 inches according to this. Im Right at border. lol

Old 01-04-2011, 03:59 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Lets keep an eye on this weekends allthough because it's coming from Great Lakes I dont see it carrying moisture or strengthening in time for us...Maybe RI or Maine but not CT
I live roughly three miles down the road from the RI border, if that means anything.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:23 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
One other note...as of today...it looks like the warm temps this past weekend and the rain did the fleeting snow cover in on the East Coast: there is no snow cover at all from southern Connecticut southward.
I was in Stamford today near the water and there was still 3-4" of snow cover, right up to the sand on the beach.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:17 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,431,988 times
6 inches?? I'm gunna hope for a dusting and that's all.
Gosh I hope they are still having planes fly out this weekend.....

Old 01-04-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I was in Stamford today near the water and there was still 3-4" of snow cover, right up to the sand on the beach.
That sounds about right.

Southwestern Connecticut got the most snow when the storm came through on the 26/27...so I would think the it would be the last to melt. Around here (southeast Connecticut ) the ground is about 99% bare (just a few pathes in parking lots where plows piled it up/mixed with sand). From what I can tell most of Long Island has lost all of it's snow cover east of the city.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
That sounds about right.

Southwestern Connecticut got the most snow when the storm came through on the 26/27...so I would think the it would be the last to melt. Around here (southeast Connecticut ) the ground is about 99% bare (just a few pathes in parking lots where plows piled it up/mixed with sand). From what I can tell most of Long Island has lost all of it's snow cover east of the city.
I still have 2 inches on my lawn, the drifts melted from 20 inches to now 5 inches and I still have 2 foot piles near my driveway!

Old 01-04-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowerdeck View Post
I live roughly three miles down the road from the RI border, if that means anything.
Yeap...you might be in jackpot zone for this weekend...by jackpot meaning highest totals. By highest totals I mean close to 6 inches. lol Which is nothing for us now.

Pretty soon we'll be like Minnesota saying 2 feet is nothing. lol

Old 01-04-2011, 07:49 PM

Joe is the most level headed of the winter hype machine at AccuWeather (and he is a Connecticut native). He seems to think the bulk of the significant snow will be north of the Tri-State area (from Boston northward). 52 sec at the video:

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/lundberg/story/43939/weather-extreme.asp (broken link)

Old 01-04-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Joe is the most level headed of the winter hype machine at AccuWeather (and he is a Connecticut native). He seems to think the bulk of the significant snow will be north of the Tri-State area (from Boston northward). 52 sec at the video:

AccuWeather.com - Joe Lundberg | Weather Extremes Not Letting Up (http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/lundberg/story/43939/weather-extreme.asp - broken link)
Seriously? Level Headed? Meaning what? Do you know what he said about the December Blizzard ? Meanwhile it was known 7 days before!
And what makes a level headed person more accurate with "weather". lol

Anyone talking about weather should Just say it like they see it. Period.

Anyway -

Im thinking Mohegan Sun northward... It all depends where the instability trough sets up. The convergence can be more West. We wont know this until 24hrs out...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut