Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2016, 12:12 PM

21,631 posts, read 31,231,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Are you effin kidding me???? Another one?? Didnt they just put one up in Norwalk on RT123 ? Or is that different? How many do we need of them? So its going to be 3 stories high then? Whats the average amount of these facilities per town? How many does Stamford have? Cant people over 70yrs old just move to Florida instead?

Damn baby boomers
Can't people who are unhappy with development move elsewhere? Norwalk is part of the nation's most populated metropolitan area. If someone wants the wilderness, this ain't the place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 01:28 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Can't people who are unhappy with development move elsewhere? Norwalk is part of the nation's most populated metropolitan area. If someone wants the wilderness, this ain't the place to be.
I agree. People seem to forget that a property owner has every right to develop their property the way they want as long as it conforms to the property's zoning. To expect vacant land to remain vacant, particularly in a city that is so desirable for development like Norwalk, is ridiculous. Some developers will try to build as much as they can on their property but by law they must go through a very public review process. People just don't pay attention to that until construction begins. Then is too late. Jay

Old 08-08-2016, 01:57 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,183,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. People seem to forget that a property owner has every right to develop their property the way they want as long as it conforms to the property's zoning. To expect vacant land to remain vacant, particularly in a city that is so desirable for development like Norwalk, is ridiculous. Some developers will try to build as much as they can on their property but by law they must go through a very public review process. People just don't pay attention to that until construction begins. Then is too late. Jay
I think the point was the amount of assisted living facilities in the area which is starting to get a little out of hand. Does the town of Fairfield need 3 more of these places in addition to the 2 or 3 they already have.
And I think they are building another in Darien.
God knows how many are in Stamford

Old 08-08-2016, 02:23 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
I think the point was the amount of assisted living facilities in the area which is starting to get a little out of hand. Does the town of Fairfield need 3 more of these places in addition to the 2 or 3 they already have.
Obviously the developers think so. Fairfield for example is a town of about 60,000 people. I know there are a couple of assisted living facilities that are part of rehab centers but there are no true independent assisted living facilities in town. That is very odd for such a large and affluent town so I understand the developers wanting to build them.

I had a close family member who was considering assisted living but did not want to leave Fairfield. They would have had to go to Bridgeport or Trumbull. Fortunately they were able to live in their home until their recent death but still I wonder what they would have done had they lived a few more years. We were facing a serious issue if they had lived. Jay

Old 08-08-2016, 02:28 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,183,267 times
Quote:
Obviously the developers think so. Fairfield for example is a town of about 60,000 people. I know there are a couple of assisted living facilities that are part of rehab centers but there are no true independent assisted living facilities in town. That is very odd for such a large and affluent town so I understand the developers wanting to build them.

I had a close family member who was considering assisted living but did not want to leave Fairfield. They would have had to go to Bridgeport or Trumbull. Fortunately they were able to live in their home until their recent death but still I wonder what they would have done had they lived a few more years. We were facing a serious issue if they had lived. Jay
I don't blame them

Old 08-08-2016, 02:36 PM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Quote:
You responded to someone who wasnt paying attention to the post..

Quote:
I think the point was the amount of assisted living facilities in the area which is starting to get a little out of hand.
Thank you for paying attention.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:44 PM

21,631 posts, read 31,231,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
You responded to someone who wasnt paying attention to the post. Thank you for paying attention.
Throughout this thread, you've complained about all kinds of developments in Norwalk, not just newly constructed assisted living communities. I've been paying closer attention than you think.

Old 08-08-2016, 05:07 PM

752 posts, read 554,718 times
Quote:
Actually Fairfield County needs more. Just about everywhere does.

The 65+ demographic is the fastest growing and the 90+ demographic within there. We all know people are living more and, as a society, we need to figure out how to care for the growing elderly population. Nursing home care is hellaciously expensive-- not to mention too restrictive for many seniors who are healthy enough to enjoy better quality of life.

I was talking with a friend who is 70 and has an 84 year old wife a few weeks ago. One of the common threads of conversation among him and his contemporaries is that they'll have to leave town when they need assisted living. He's lived in the same town since 1972-- and would want to stay closer to friends, family and familiar conveniences.

They wouldn't be building these places if they weren't filling up. In the USA we don't take care of mom and dad ourselves-- so the construction of assisted living apartments will continue.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:31 PM

811 posts, read 1,739,930 times
Everyone I talk to in Norwalk loves that the town is getting so much development; not sure what Cambium's gripe is.

For anyone's who's been traveling down the Glover Ave area, they have demolished 2 buildings and the signs say the owner is Merritt Station Norwalk LLC. Wonder if they are demolishing the buildings to make way for some type of parking across the street from the tracks. Also wonder if on the same side of the tracks they are going to start developing our elevated platform which I've heard rumors of. That was supposed to be part of the plan that BLT proposed in addition to the 3 buildings (700 apartments) they're building further up on the same road.

With the surge in population that this area will have, they should seriously start planning or proposing to double track the section at least from Merritt 7 to Sono Station. Possibly have a short train or shuttle train go between Merritt and Sono.

Old 08-11-2016, 07:36 AM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times
Parking Lot Structure Update:

See the Coming Soon Sign?

So now I ask .. Do we really need a Burger King?

Let me guess, Jay will say "If they thought it was needed, then yes". lol

A Laundromat, Bank, Star Bucks, Dry Cleaner, A Diner, Post Office, Hardware store, a Restaurant all would of been fine but really? A Fat Food place?! Don't forget, it's in the spot where Stop & Shop and Wine Store is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut