Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 12:12 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
If the mall is located in South Norwalk, were the people with the lowest incomes live, who do you think will primarily be in the mall in that location? It does not matter whether they cater to lower income individuals or not, they will still be in the mall.
The Westchester, in White Plains, which is super-successful, and has Neiman Marcus and Saks, alongside basically every major luxury retailer (Gucci, Louis Vuitton, etc.) is walking distance from housing projects. If your theory were correct, then the Westchester would be harmed by proximity to poor people, yet it isn't.

Heck, Manhattan has more luxury retail than anyplace on earth. There are something like 50,000 public housing units in Manhattan. Anyone can take a short subway ride from any poor part of NYC and be in the middle of SoHo or Midtown. Then why does Manhattan have the most valuable retail space on the planet? It's proximate to millions of poor people.
Quote:
I myself am not rich. I go down to Norwalk a few times a week for work. I stop in Westport on the way home to do some shopping. If a mall is going into South Norwalk in the midst of lower income neighborhoods even I will by pass it and continue to go shopping in Westport.
You're free to do so, but you have very unusual preferences. The vast majority of people, even the wealthy, don't limit their shopping to the 1% of fanciest towns. That basically means you are forced to shop online, or in a few tiny, cutesy village centers with extremely limited offerings.

And better stay away from Greenwich. Even Greenwich has housing projects and poor minorities walking distance to Greenwich Ave. Heck, even New Canaan has some subsidized housing for the poor. Better steer clear of the New Canaan hood. I think Darien and Westport are your only options, but both are building subsidized housing too (state requirement) so you'll be limited to online shopping a few years from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 12:16 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
The Westchester, in White Plains, which is super-successful, and has Neiman Marcus and Saks, alongside basically every major luxury retailer (Gucci, Louis Vuitton, etc.) is walking distance from housing projects. If your theory were correct, then the Westchester would be harmed by proximity to poor people, yet it isn't.

Heck, Manhattan has more luxury retail than anyplace on earth. There are something like 50,000 public housing units in Manhattan. Anyone can take a short subway ride from any poor part of NYC and be in the middle of SoHo or Midtown. Then why does Manhattan have the most valuable retail space on the planet? It's proximate to millions of poor people.

You're free to do so, but you have very unusual preferences. The vast majority of people, even the wealthy, don't limit their shopping to the 1% of fanciest towns. That basically means you are forced to shop online, or in a few tiny, cutesy village centers with extremely limited offerings.

And better stay away from Greenwich. Even Greenwich has housing projects and poor minorities walking distance to Greenwich Ave. Heck, even New Canaan has some subsidized housing for the poor. Better steer clear of the New Canaan hood. I think Darien and Westport are your only options, but both are building subsidized housing too (state requirement) so you'll be limited to online shopping a few years from now.

Greenwich and New Cannan hoods is the suburbs compare to Hartford North End, Bridgeport, New Haven

Old 06-26-2016, 12:21 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Greenwich and New Cannan hoods is the suburbs compare to Hartford North End, Bridgeport, New Haven
But Greenwich does actually have housing projects full of poor minorities on welfare. Greenwich is suprisingly socioeconimcally/racially diverse in the older neighborhoods. If that's the fear, then even Greenwich Ave. is off-limits. Yeah, it isn't Hartford North End, but neither is anywhere in Norwalk.

I'm of course being a bit facetious. I don't seriously think that anyone is scared of Greenwich Ave. I'm just illustrating the "oh but there are poor people nearby!" theory to be pretty silly. Ya think there are any poor people in NYC? Somehow NYC is the most desirable shopping nexus on the planet. Any poor dude from a housing project can easily travel to the fanciest retail corridors in Manhattan.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:51 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,182,251 times
Quote:
I used to work on Van Zant Street and on Washington Street right in SONO. I had 2 different jobs in that area about 10 years apart. I am well aware of who lives in the area and that is why I am proffering these opinions.
Irrelevant. Nobody shops or dines on Ely Ave just as they don't in the notorious west end of Stamford.
Bottom line - fantastic central location off major highway in a region of high income earners who drive automobiles. They can also avoid the hassle and chaos of lower Stamford, the dangerous and sinister west end, and a mall long past its prime. They should and WILL be nervous as the article states.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:36 PM

854 posts, read 1,242,487 times
Is there a neighborhood that is commonly known as "west end of Stamford"?

What about a neighborhood called "lower Stamford"?

Old 06-26-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtby4000 View Post
Is there a neighborhood that is commonly known as "west end of Stamford"?

What about a neighborhood called "lower Stamford"?
Stamford Westside is crime plagued area of Stamford although crime is not as bad as worst cities in state. Stamford South End and Cove is lower stamford area .

Let get back on Norwalk topic

Old 06-26-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Irrelevant. Nobody shops or dines on Ely Ave just as they don't in the notorious west end of Stamford.
Bottom line - fantastic central location off major highway in a region of high income earners who drive automobiles. They can also avoid the hassle and chaos of lower Stamford, the dangerous and sinister west end, and a mall long past its prime. They should and WILL be nervous as the article states.
Ely Ave, Woodward Ave, South Main Street area is consider lower income area of Norwalk it mix of middle class and working class. No where to shop on ely ave unless you buying drugs that easily most rundown Norwalk street.

Old 06-26-2016, 07:53 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,182,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Ely Ave, Woodward Ave, South Main Street area is consider lower income area of Norwalk it mix of middle class and working class. No where to shop on ely ave unless you buying drugs that easily most rundown Norwalk street.
Yes I know them all well since childhood. Not nearly as hardcore as they were back then.

Back to the article, Stamford mall execs will be sh&@ttng their pants in a few years.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:31 PM

811 posts, read 1,739,597 times
Reading through the posts about the mall not meeting certain people's standards is quite a laugh. I know many people in the area who I've talked to on the train into work, who live in Darien, Greenwich, and Westport, who plan on going to the mall to take advantage of Nordstrom and Bloomingdales in the same building just to try stuff on in-store assuming the stores will gave a good selection. I know many people in Norwalk, myself and neighbors included, will enjoy the mall if opens early especially on weekends to take a walk in the middle of winter. It will be a meet up spot for many people. If they plan the interior intelligently, it can be a big interior space than different groups can hosts events in. Which would be beneficial for retailers to bring people into the mall even if they did not plan to shop, something might catch their eye if they at least get foot traffic into the building. Lots of people are looking at this place as "why would I go to shop there?" You might end up going there for something besides shopping; and end up shopping before you leave. That is the smart play.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:07 PM

Norwalk is planning to razing Washington Village housing for market rate and workforce housing.

Washington Village rebuild set to advance - The Hour
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut