Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2020, 07:39 PM

6,904 posts, read 3,742,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
https://patch.com/connecticut/rockyh...unces-lay-offs

Layoffs in rocky hill.. Blame it on covid
JayCT posted this in the Dennis House thread.
Not Covid. It's tech and social media. Morning and evening news programming is in it's early death throes. Fewer are watching. Millenials and Gen X'ers are too busy. Boomers are glued to CNN, FOX and yelling at each other on Facebook over politics.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:02 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
https://patch.com/connecticut/rockyh...unces-lay-offs

Layoffs in rocky hill.. Blame it on covid
This was posted and discussed on the Dennis House thread. Jay

Old 09-19-2020, 07:59 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
CBS laid off 300 in May including national correspondents and local anchors.

Old 09-20-2020, 05:04 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
We need some real data on the impact of COVID on the economy (local and national) to properly plan and make adjustments. In my daily encounters with business people and contractors, the level of impact is much deeper than is being discussed. Supply chains are significantly impacted and scheduling work is very difficult when many companies have essential staff that is unavailable due to a combination of financial limitations and/or staff that cannot report to work due to childcare issues associated with schooling. Phase 3 and phase 4 businesses cannot survive forever if they are not allowed to reopen. Landlords cannot pay bills forever when they are not receiving rents and cannot get new tenants into the units not paying.

Yesterday I visited a bicycle shop. They expressed they cannot get bicycles, inner tubes, clothing, parts, and even plastic bags due to COVID. I suspect that both local and national data is being downplayed before the election. CT needs to act now to get ahead of the staff reductions, such as those announced last week by Raytheon, that are likely to be announced in the coming months. Right now the state is spending an enormous amount of money to build a remote infrastructure to support longterm WFH. The cost savings needed to offset these investments just to stay neutral are substantial. The public needs to know what is going on. Not trying to sound like a harbinger of doom, but hiding the truth doesn't solve the problem. This problem is not just limited to CT. It is the likely reason other states are refusing to lock down but our supply chains are too interlinked both nationally and internationally to go it alone. It really does start at the federal level. The states should be unified in demanding a national plan.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:18 AM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
We need some real data on the impact of COVID on the economy (local and national) to properly plan and make adjustments. In my daily encounters with business people and contractors, the level of impact is much deeper than is being discussed. Supply chains are significantly impacted and scheduling work is very difficult when many companies have essential staff that is unavailable due to a combination of financial limitations and/or staff that cannot report to work due to childcare issues associated with schooling. Phase 3 and phase 4 businesses cannot survive forever if they are not allowed to reopen. Landlords cannot pay bills forever when they are not receiving rents and cannot get new tenants into the units not paying.

Yesterday I visited a bicycle shop. They expressed they cannot get bicycles, inner tubes, clothing, parts, and even plastic bags due to COVID. I suspect that both local and national data is being downplayed before the election. CT needs to act now to get ahead of the staff reductions, such as those announced last week by Raytheon, that are likely to be announced in the coming months. Right now the state is spending an enormous amount of money to build a remote infrastructure to support longterm WFH. The cost savings needed to offset these investments just to stay neutral are substantial. The public needs to know what is going on. Not trying to sound like a harbinger of doom, but hiding the truth doesn't solve the problem. This problem is not just limited to CT. It is the likely reason other states are refusing to lock down but our supply chains are too interlinked both nationally and internationally to go it alone. It really does start at the federal level. The states should be unified in demanding a national plan.
Spot on post, but i suspect like my favorite line at the end of the movie Titanic "We waited too long". Its said out of guilt from a man trying to rescue what are now corpses.

In a month, its too cold to eat outside. Restaurants have been bleeding cash 6 months now.

I said over one quarter ago, and maintain based on what I have seen, in both Ct and all states which locked down for months, a huge % of restaurants, bars, plus hotels are gone..forever. We will see a shrunken economy where people interact.

This bar's economic plight is a microcosm of bars and in many cases, restaurants, statewide.

https://patch.com/connecticut/milfor...-orders-so-far

Old 09-20-2020, 09:01 PM

6,904 posts, read 3,742,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Spot on post, but i suspect like my favorite line at the end of the movie Titanic "We waited too long". Its said out of guilt from a man trying to rescue what are now corpses.

In a month, its too cold to eat outside. Restaurants have been bleeding cash 6 months now.

I said over one quarter ago, and maintain based on what I have seen, in both Ct and all states which locked down for months, a huge % of restaurants, bars, plus hotels are gone..forever. We will see a shrunken economy where people interact.

This bar's economic plight is a microcosm of bars and in many cases, restaurants, statewide.

https://patch.com/connecticut/milfor...-orders-so-far
Which version?

Bars, restaurants near me are full on open, packed to the brim. The microcosm was one establishment over in Southport CT just last night that was jam packed, wait list for seating. Bar was full open too, with plexiglass. I don't know how long it lasts.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:54 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Which version?

Bars, restaurants near me are full on open, packed to the brim. The microcosm was one establishment over in Southport CT just last night that was jam packed, wait list for seating. Bar was full open too, with plexiglass. I don't know how long it lasts.
Send people over. I was out this weekend, and most I saw were dead near me (restaurants with and without bars).

Old 09-21-2020, 04:40 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Bars ARE NOT open. Some restaurants have people seated at the bar with plexiglass for dining. You cannot order just a drink. All bars are prohibited from operating under current Phase 2 orders. All restaurants also are restricted to 50% capacity under Phase 2. If the restaurants are “full on open” they are in clear violation of the law.

Old 09-21-2020, 06:39 AM

1,241 posts, read 902,829 times
Exactly! It is amazing that people will think that just because there is a wait list that restaurants are packed and doing great business. If there are 50% less tables, there may be a wait list all day long but they are still probably losing money or just breaking even. If Phase 3 doesn't come before the cold weather makes outdoor dining less appealing or feasible it will get even worse for restaurants very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Bars ARE NOT open. Some restaurants have people seated at the bar with plexiglass for dining. You cannot order just a drink. All bars are prohibited from operating under current Phase 2 orders. All restaurants also are restricted to 50% capacity under Phase 2. If the restaurants are “full on open” they are in clear violation of the law.

Old 09-21-2020, 07:20 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,040,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Which version?

Same here. I was out late-ish on Saturday night - it must have been 8:30? Interior dining was full. Exterior dining was clearing out but had obviously been packed. Any time I go out anywhere in Litchfield County, it's the same story. It was slow to ramp up - back in early June you could still walk into a place like the White Horse during peak hours without a reservation - but now, good luck. ETA that these places are definitely not skirting the capacity rules, but have the outdoor space to seat many. I was at a place that is probably at 100% of typical seating capacity due to the amount of outdoor space available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut