Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2020, 04:24 PM

34,018 posts, read 17,045,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Of course they did, they want to make a significant change to their property. What else are they going to say to get their approval? I’m not against them developing their property. I just think they are exaggerating a bit to get it approved. Jay

https://www.trumbulltimes.com/news/a...s-15544402.php
Exaggerate in what way? We are seeing retail liquidations in huge numbers in 2020. Milford mall's assessed value dropped $27 million in last ten years, or just over 15%. A large % of malls have closed permanently.

https://patch.com/connecticut/milfor...s-want-save-it

Old 09-08-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I live in Trumbull and I go to a lot of the zoning meetings for the mall area. You are correct, they do say that. I agree with them. I have lived in Trumbull over 20 years and the mall has gone from bustling in the 1990's to just about dead now except for Target and LA Fitness. LA Fitness was busy before Covid-19.
Milford mall is also in bad shape. 20% fewer visitors the last 5 years. I was there 15 minutes Sunday. The Milford library used to be noisier than the mall has been my last 3 visits.

Like millions around the region, I am now buying all I can online, delivered to my door.

Old 09-08-2020, 06:53 PM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Milford mall is also in bad shape. 20% fewer visitors the last 5 years. I was there 15 minutes Sunday. The Milford library used to be noisier than the mall has been my last 3 visits.

Like millions around the region, I am now buying all I can online, delivered to my door.
I think Milford mall, Trumbull will survive. New London mall is one i can see going bye bye.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:09 PM

4,451 posts, read 3,344,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

I believe it's in bad shape.

I have not been to the Milford Mall in a long time. When I did go it would be mainly for Dick's Sporting Goods. That end was always pretty busy but I never really went walking around the Milford Mall.

I think that this will be a blessing is disguise for Trumbull if the mall is basically torn down and rebuilt into a series of stores, restaurants etc. with no big dining area with all low end fast food stores. I have not been in the fast food court in over 10 years. It is just place for the trouble makers to hang out. It's such a shame what happened to the Trumbull Mall. That mall is now pushing our crime rate higher. I say "blow it up" and start over.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
I think Milford mall, Trumbull will survive. New London mall is one i can see going bye bye.
The area of the mall will survive as a shopping destination but not as a traditional mall. There was a big zoning change there. It's now mixed use. In about 10 years it will be like a little mini city below the Parkway in Trumbull. Main Street below the Parkway is all rezoned too. Houses have already been knocked down and commercial buildings are going in already.

Old 09-09-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
The area of the mall will survive as a shopping destination but not as a traditional mall. There was a big zoning change there. It's now mixed use. In about 10 years it will be like a little mini city below the Parkway in Trumbull. Main Street below the Parkway is all rezoned too. Houses have already been knocked down and commercial buildings are going in already.
I applaud our 2 malls on the coast for thinking outside the box. I think this could allow the mall to last a few more years, due to spending by those living on the grounds.

Old 09-09-2020, 04:07 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,183,800 times
Quote:
I believe it's in bad shape.

I have not been to the Milford Mall in a long time. When I did go it would be mainly for Dick's Sporting Goods. That end was always pretty busy but I never really went walking around the Milford Mall.

I think that this will be a blessing is disguise for Trumbull if the mall is basically torn down and rebuilt into a series of stores, restaurants etc. with no big dining area with all low end fast food stores. I have not been in the fast food court in over 10 years. It is just place for the trouble makers to hang out. It's such a shame what happened to the Trumbull Mall. That mall is now pushing our crime rate higher. I say "blow it up" and start over.
I don't see that kind of investment happening in this landscape.

Old 09-09-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
I don't see that kind of investment happening in this landscape.
Do you mean with Covid-19?

I watch the zoning meetings. I have been on a zoom meeting with the mall owners. They want all the approvals now for the apartments. Don't forget the apartments won't be done for another two years at least.

The mall owners where showing pictures of what they want the mall area to look like in the future. I think they showed something down near Washington DC? I can't remember where this particular development was but it looked really nice. That is why I am all for it. The mall owners also talked about having more restaurants and not a food court and I really liked that. By the pictures I saw it will not look anything like the Trumbull Mall does now.

The mixed use zoning for the mall land where the mall sits is a done deal and all passed. In fact it was a done deal a few years ago.

The zoning on lower Main Street is all passed to. Someone already built a big white building (where houses used to be) near the mall right on Main Street. It looks like it might be for doctors but I am not sure.

Old 09-09-2020, 04:56 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,183,800 times
There will be a record amount of restaurant and retail closings coming down the pipeline over the next year or so.
Anyone motivated to open a new restaurant going forward can have their choice of location already built out with leasehold improvements for free at a cheaper rent than what the mall can offer...

Saw a 3 yr. old location all built out, offered with 9 months free rent, plus build out money. That's without negotiating.
And it's on a very busy road.
Another location I'm involved with lost all the financing this winter. Banks are asking how can you pay us if the tenants can't pay you?
This is a 100M deal. It's half built....going nowhere

Old 09-09-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
There will be a record amount of restaurant and retail closings coming down the pipeline over the next year or so.
Anyone motivated to open a new restaurant going forward can have their choice of location already built out with leasehold improvements for free at a cheaper rent than what the mall can offer...
The large corps who own malls are highly leveraged no doubt, but that adds to the incentive for banks to finance new ideas like this, to add to the malls cash flow, and decrease odds of any defaults on the mall that may well occur without fairly quick action.

Its the same reason Simon was reported to have shown interest in several retail chains in its malls. No deal to keep them alive..must write off rent owed, write off future lease value..incentivizes lenders to "assist".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut