Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2021, 02:53 PM

809 posts, read 469,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
NH, VT, ME don't like Mass and Mass don't like CT
Where is the evidence? I think most folks are busy going about their lives and don't care. It's MA-boosters with the problem. CT could care less. My issue is crowding up this thread with noise always trying to comparing CT to MA with an overinflated sense of self importance.

Now back to the thread topic:

"Tourism Chief Sees Booming Summer"

https://www.newhavenindependent.org/...nicipal_voice/

Old 06-28-2021, 03:12 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
Thats not factually true. Between you and kidyankee and a few others, why continue to comment on the CT thread if all you do is nitpick and complain about this state. Back to the topic, the fundamentals of the CT economy are strong as borne out by the data. Hopefully, there's another post about economic development so we can cut through the unsubstantiated negative non sense on this thread.
Again, bringing up paralyzing financial issues that are plaguing certain cities is not nitpicking or complaining. Failure to address the massive burden I discussed two pages ago will result in bankruptcy down the road and further stress on some of the state’s most impoverished residents. As a resident of Connecticut for 30 years, and a property owner in the state, these are important conversations that need to be had which should be extended to elected officials and influential local leaders. I have been contributing to this thread for nearly 8 years and have addressed both positives and negatives regarding Connecticut’s economy - I encourage you to take some time to read how the thread has evolved during that time since you appear to be fairly new to both the CT forum and this thread.

It appears instead of showing evidence to the contrary to engage in a healthy discussion, you’re purposely ignoring evidence and factual data presented only to demand we follow suit in your claims that none of it exists, with nothing of evidentiary value to support those claims.

Old 06-28-2021, 04:03 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Amen. I wonder how many calls will be made involving criminal activity.

It is true most do not become rehabilitated, but IMO it is because most were simply bad seeds, destined for a life of crime. Our best recourse is to simply keep those not able to be rehabilitated behind bars, as long as legally possible.
Inmates cannot make random phone calls. All calls must be to someone on the list approved by the facility.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:24 PM

6,908 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Pats played us. It was NEVER going to occur. Whalers loss I saw coming for years. It takes a giant season ticket base to survive in the NHL. I lived near Nashville when we got the Preds. The standard from then on, all new franchises , required 12k equivalent season tickets with full first season paid in advance (so 2 people doing a half season deal on same seats = 1 season ticket) in order to not have the franchise pulled, after Nashville was announced, but before game 1. Country and pop music stars, combined with business execs, got behind the push big time, and Preds have stayed a hot ticket every year, but the bar the NHL sets since 2000 is sky high!

Can you imagine if we tried to get a team now-we could never get 12,000 season ticket holders.

I do not blame NHL. Its a sport where tv revenue stinks, so the gate is only $$$$$ they count on.
Preds didn't have two historic Original 6 teams with legacy fanbases playing home games within 2 hours.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:39 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Preds didn't have two historic Original 6 teams with legacy fanbases playing home games within 2 hours.
12k is still brutal, but I get why NHL does it. That league has led the Big 4 sports in financially failed franchises. I can't imagine Whalers getting 12k even without the Bruins or Rangers. Its a big task in any city. When Whalers were added, that prereq to getting a team did not exist.

Old 06-28-2021, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

Do you dispute CT has some of the worst income & wealth inequality in the USA?

Do you dispute the fact that 400,000+ long time CT residents have left the state from 2010-2020, & most were replaced with immigrants? Those 400,000 took Billions of dollars in wealth with them, & no longer pay taxes in CT. Some of them are now my friends (in Venice, FLA), and they tell me why they left.

Do you dispute that many state politicians are looking to hit the top 5% with higher taxes?

Do you dispute that when this was tried elsewhere, the weallthy people simply left?

Why will it be different this time if its tried in CT?

If you have proof that my comments are incorrect, please share. I'm open to dialogue, & willing to look past your unwelcoming words above.

Florida always welcomes visitors from Connecticut with open arms, even during pandemics. Some of them have different opinions than us, but we welcome them all nonetheless. So, I thought people from Connecticut would be okay with a Floridian participating in an online dialogue about Connecticut, even if the facts I pose are uncomfortable to hear. I never thought I'd be discriminated against.
Scarlet O'Hara was less dramatic than this post.

How did CT manage to retain it's worst income wealth inequality status if all those wealthy left replaced mostly by immigrants? shouldn't it have gone down?
Who bought the wealthy folks' homes? Immigrants? no other wealthy folks.
You can argue in the past year, even wealthier moved in. They paid higher home prices than what the sellers paid. Fairfield County home values are up some 18% or more YOY. That hasn't been secret confidential information the past year. Lost colonies in the Amazon even know how hot CT's high end RE has been.
The wealthy are still moving in.
Another product of wealth inequality is higher education achievement in the Northeast. CT is the poster boy for this. That's undeniable. It is what it is and there isn't anything anyone can do about it.

As far as I'm concerned all our welcome to CT and post on the CT forum from Florida or anywhere else. With open arms.

Come back and see us again soon

Old 06-28-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
They paid higher home prices than what the sellers paid. Fairfield County home values are up some 18% or more YOY. That hasn't been secret confidential information the past year. Lost colonies in the Amazon even know how hot CT's high end RE has been.
To be fair, the insane high end market was hot nationwide (at least in CT and FL, which are two of the few traditionally ultra high end markets - CA and NY/NJ being the others). I’m not so sure paying higher home prices automatically means the buyers are more affluent. At the surface, maybe, but I’d need to see some hard data showing this correlation. Again, that also goes for everywhere.

Old 06-28-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
To be fair, the insane high end market was hot nationwide (at least in CT and FL, which are two of the few traditionally ultra high end markets - CA and NY/NJ being the others). I’m not so sure paying higher home prices automatically means the buyers are more affluent. At the surface, maybe, but I’d need to see some hard data showing this correlation. Again, that also goes for everywhere.
Right, and nationwide includes CT.
Its a roundabout assumption that they're wealthier. Some may be, some may not be. I don't have the talent to mine City Data to corraborate.
It's all just normal human migration patterns if you ask me.
CT's bread and butter personnel are highly educated. Wealth disparity is built in. No one can stop it. There's nothing you can do.
I understand many are moving South, I get it, and its not just wealthy and retirees. They can't build housing fast enough in Myrtle Beach metro to satisfy demand. I was just down there, it's unbelievable what you see.

Old 06-28-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Right, and nationwide includes CT.
Its a roundabout assumption that they're wealthier. Some may be, some may not be. I don't have the talent to mine City Data to corraborate.
It's all just normal human migration patterns if you ask me.
CT's bread and butter personnel are highly educated. Wealth disparity is built in. No one can stop it. There's nothing you can do.
I understand many are moving South, I get it, and its not just wealthy and retirees. They can't build housing fast enough in Myrtle Beach metro to satisfy demand. I was just down there, it's unbelievable what you see.
Right, though I wouldn’t consider SC a hotbed for extremely high end real estate like CT, FL, CA. The super affluent aren’t leaving CT for Myrtle Beach. They’re going to a place like Palm Beach or Miami. A place like SC would attract your typical middle income family from, say, Rocky Hill.

Old 06-28-2021, 07:36 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Right, though I wouldn’t consider SC a hotbed for extremely high end real estate like CT, FL, CA. The super affluent aren’t leaving CT for Myrtle Beach. They’re going to a place like Palm Beach or Miami. A place like SC would attract your typical middle income family from, say, Rocky Hill.
Charleston And Hilton Head are popular in SC but more people moving
to Miami area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut