Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2020, 04:43 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
Speaking of Malls I had read this earlier this month.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/amazon-...rs-11596992863

How Amazon may look to buy the empty Sears and JC Penny spaces in Malls to act as smaller distribution centers for quicker delivery to certain areas.
Would largely depend on whether they can get local traffic approval. Could be pretty annoying having trucks going in and out.

Old 08-17-2020, 05:09 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Would largely depend on whether they can get local traffic approval. Could be pretty annoying having trucks going in and out.
They will get approved. Cities are afraid many malls might close, which will cause large loss of jobs, albeit low skilled, low paying ones. Hence, I am betting Milford approves mall housing, and most cities allow Amazon to take mall space.

In the pre covid world, neither housing, nor Amazon, stood a shot yet. Post covid, I bet this would fly through.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:12 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
They will get approved. Cities are afraid many malls might close, which will cause large loss of jobs, albeit low skilled, low paying ones. Hence, I am betting Milford approves mall housing, and most cities allow Amazon to take mall space.

In the pre covid world, neither housing, nor Amazon, stood a shot yet. Post covid, I bet this would fly through.
In either case, it would require zoning changes as those areas are zoned as retail. Most towns would prefer mixed use development versus an Amazon warehouse.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:41 AM

6,904 posts, read 3,742,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
In either case, it would require zoning changes as those areas are zoned as retail. Most towns would prefer mixed use development versus an Amazon warehouse.
How many mixed used developments (aka Glorified Strip Mall) are really needed?
Bob's right, Milford Mall's days are numbered. They'll change the zoning.

Old 08-18-2020, 10:18 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Given that there are no other major regional shopping malls in greater New Haven, I highly doubt that Connecticut Post will close completely. It is the largest mall in the state and does a very good business despite all of the doom and gloom some people like to spew.

As the article linked below indicates, malls are evolving. They are offering more than just shopping. They are offering more food and entertainment options. They still account for a very large portion of retail sales in our country and will continue to do so in the future. Jay

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gregpet...eyre-evolving/

Old 08-18-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Given that there are no other major regional shopping malls in greater New Haven, I highly doubt that Connecticut Post will close completely. It is the largest mall in the state and does a very good business despite all of the doom and gloom some people like to spew.

As the article linked below indicates, malls are evolving. They are offering more than just shopping. They are offering more food and entertainment options. They still account for a very large portion of retail sales in our country and will continue to do so in the future. Jay

Maybe the writers invested in Malls. I don't know. You could be right. Maybe Bob's right. I tend to err on Bob's side with this but who knows. Only time will tell.
If you're talking about NJ and out west, where malls are a rite of passage, then yes, absolutley.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:09 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Maybe the writers invested in Malls. I don't know. You could be right. Maybe Bob's right. I tend to err on Bob's side with this but who knows. Only time will tell.
If you're talking about NJ and out west, where malls are a rite of passage, then yes, absolutley.
I’ve been on this forum for over 13 years now and for all those years I’ve heard over and ver that the end is near. Over and over it’s the same thing. And yet here we are, Connecticut is still by far the country’s wealthiest state; are No. 3 in Real Gross Domestic Product per capita;;and our unemployment rate is under the national average. We also have $2.6 billion in our State’s Rainy Day Fund and was named one of only nine states prepared for an downturn. That’s pretty damn good for a state many had all but buried for dead.

Connecticut may not be as known for malls as other states, but we still rely on the for a good chunk of retail. We may not see every mall in our state succeed but it’s unlikely they all will die, especially those that have little competition in their market area. Connecticut Post Mall will certainly be one of them. Jay

Old 08-18-2020, 02:33 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:

It has a high % unleased (refreshment stands LOL) plus who knows how much back rent is owed.

Malls, all over, are in awful shape. The largest mall owner wants to buy Penney's to avoid further deterioration of space leased by an anchor.

I do think Milford's mall has several years of life left, but with each year weaker than the preceding year in terms of leased space, rent paid to date.

Old 08-18-2020, 03:20 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Oh no doubt the mall as a standalone feature is history. Mixed use with housing, retail, dining, grocery, entertainment is what draws shoppers.

The zoning issue centers more around putting an Amazon warehouse in that space.

Old 08-18-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I’ve been on this forum for over 13 years now and for all those years I’ve heard over and ver that the end is near. Over and over it’s the same thing. And yet here we are, Connecticut is still by far the country’s wealthiest state; are No. 3 in Real Gross Domestic Product per capita;;and our unemployment rate is under the national average. We also have $2.6 billion in our State’s Rainy Day Fund and was named one of only nine states prepared for an downturn. That’s pretty damn good for a state many had all but buried for dead.
CT Rocks! I never disputed any of this. Couldn't agree more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut