Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2018, 04:32 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,186,405 times

Advertisements

Jay,
I believe both arguments are right.
What others are claiming is, are these visa's being abused?
Seems like they are.

Next how better would are economy be, if the people of CT being replaced still had these jobs at the higher rate of pay.

Case has been made that there are culture differences as well. So that those on these visa's don't put as much back into the economy.

So for me the next question that i posed earlier, and was deleted.

Why does the visa issue even exist?

Old 03-21-2018, 06:24 PM

34,064 posts, read 17,088,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
What does that have to do with anything? We have had job growth. Our private sector employment have returned to pre-recession levels. I keep asking the same thing but no one wants to acknowledge it. Would you rather these jobs go to another state? Jay

Our job growth is putrid, relative to other states. Our ratio of jobs regained/recession losses puts us in bottom 20% nationally. Last report I saw, Massachusetts had gained 173% of its Recession losses, we were around 80%.

Still since beggars can't be choosers per the old saying, we should not say no to this insidious corp.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:39 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Geoff,

As I walked out of work yesterday, I passed by a closed room where 2 dozen Tata H1Bs are being trained to replace our internal network and telephony support team. It is so underhanded. The room was frosted and put in back area away from perm workers. Whole purpose is to hide H1B Indians while they are being trained locally. Many of the impacted are 40 year old + American citizens which I believe will have hard time finding something else that pays decently. I can't believe this is being debated. Infosys, Tata, WiPro are not good additions to any state. It is a sign that nothing is changing in this state and most likely getting worse.
Yep.

JayCT totally fails to comprehend the difference between a new job and a replacement job at lower wages because it's a contracted position with no benefits staffed largely by H-1B people.

I 100% support a path for foreign college students at US universities having access to the US job market but it needs to be a level playing field as full time employees. We want them to stay here and add value to the US economy. That's how it used to work 30 years ago. A US employer would sponsor them as full time employees. They were generally very strong candidates who are now industry leaders.

H-1B is largely replacing repetitive task technician-level people. Those aren't people who can walk across the street and land a better job for more money. They're largely not "A" players. They're back office support that the bean counters consider to be overhead.

Old 03-22-2018, 06:43 AM

845 posts, read 681,145 times
I have to agree with everyone here saying that this is a bad idea. These jobs will replace the jobs of Connecticut workers, and those aspiring to be Connecticut workers no matter where they come from. This is an abuse of the system and will only result in depressed wages and more unemployed people, period. These are not job growers, the economy will not get better - it will get worse. This is good for businesses who will slash costs and keep the profits, while highly-trained good skilled Americans, Canadians, Mexicans, Europeans, Japanese, ect. doesn't matter your nationality, get undercut by cheap outsourcing. Anyone interested in giving everyone an equally fair shot should not support the abuse of the H-1B visa programme.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:08 AM

266 posts, read 245,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Our job growth is putrid, relative to other states. Our ratio of jobs regained/recession losses puts us in bottom 20% nationally. Last report I saw, Massachusetts had gained 173% of its Recession losses, we were around 80%.

Still since beggars can't be choosers per the old saying, we should not say no to this insidious corp.
I won't claim to understand this process, but I ask a simple question. How many Connecticut college graduates come out each year and would benefit greatly from these entry level positions?

Old 03-22-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

In Massachusetts, it really depends on the zip code. Inside I-495? Sure. All you have to do is look at housing prices to see the indirect correlation. I'll bet lower Fairfield County is similar. The difference is that more than half the Massachusetts population lives inside the I-495 belt. The sketchy Connecticut transportation infrastructure limits Fairfield County economic growth.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:00 AM

570 posts, read 478,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPA View Post
I won't claim to understand this process, but I ask a simple question. How many Connecticut college graduates come out each year and would benefit greatly from these entry level positions?
Realize that this is a political move by Infosys in response to Trump's Hire America first campaign (though campaign is mostly hot air). They will hire young, caucasian Americans mostly for these 1000 jobs so Jay is correct that it is positive but only short term during Trump's administration. Watch what happens over next 5 years when tax incentives no longer matter and Aetna, Stanley and other want cheaper outsourcing proposals. These jobs will be gone..or filled with H1Bs.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rump-criticism

Old 03-22-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Realize that this is a political move by Infosys in response to Trump's Hire America first campaign (though campaign is mostly hot air). They will hire young, caucasian Americans mostly for these 1000 jobs so Jay is correct that it is positive but only short term during Trump's administration. Watch what happens over next 5 years when tax incentives no longer matter and Aetna, Stanley and other want cheaper outsourcing proposals. These jobs will be gone..or filled with H1Bs.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...rump-criticism
The contractor model doesn't work when you hire 'Muricans. Infosys still needs to make their 20% off the top. 'Muricans want things like competitive pay, paid holidays, paid vacation, sick time, and employer-paid health insurance. They also want job stability and no contracting job is long-term stable. I've talked to Infosys recruiters a few times (barely intelligible) when they were trying to staff a contractor slot where nobody in India was going to have the skill set and I was a LinkedIn hit. The comp and benefits aren't anything like a US employer. I don't see how they can fill 10,000 job slots with competent people with their comp when their whole business model is to be 40% cheaper than a company hiring full time employees.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:16 AM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yep.

JayCT totally fails to comprehend the difference between a new job and a replacement job at lower wages because it's a contracted position with no benefits staffed largely by H-1B people.

I 100% support a path for foreign college students at US universities having access to the US job market but it needs to be a level playing field as full time employees. We want them to stay here and add value to the US economy. That's how it used to work 30 years ago. A US employer would sponsor them as full time employees. They were generally very strong candidates who are now industry leaders.

H-1B is largely replacing repetitive task technician-level people. Those aren't people who can walk across the street and land a better job for more money. They're largely not "A" players. They're back office support that the bean counters consider to be overhead.
I fully understand the difference but do you really think that if we did not accept this company here, they will not open an office somewhere else and do the same thing from a different state? Jay

Old 03-22-2018, 11:45 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I fully understand the difference but do you really think that if we did not accept this company here, they will not open an office somewhere else and do the same thing from a different state? Jay
I think they did open offices other places. I think providence, Illinois and somewhere else. I don’t agree with the business model but a job is a job. It will not be the catalyst to get Hartford back on its feet because I think the overall impact is low. I say because like most (my family works in rentals) they will sleep 8 or 9 to an apartment and do not spend a lot of money on furniture or going out.

But gaining $5 is better than not gaining anything.

Again the business model is not fair but such is corporate America. This is the same company that wiped out 200 IT jobs at eversource a couple years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut