Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2020, 08:18 AM

6,908 posts, read 3,746,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
Skynyrd was from Jacksonville. Birthplace of Southern Rock.
Right, I always get those "villes" mixed up.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
UBS and NASDAQ are in Shelton now. But like many escaping NYC are ending up outside FFLD county, perhaps some offices might too. Certainly cheaper, and maybe enjoy a reverse commute.
Back office? or full on?
I believe NASDAQs had back office in CT for quite some time now, decades maybe

Old 07-21-2020, 08:46 AM

1,241 posts, read 902,829 times
Both are great cities. I'm just waiting for someone to post that Southern Rock is okay but Northern Rock is smarter, more cultured and has access to better healthcare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Right, I always get those "villes" mixed up.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
Both are great cities. I'm just waiting for someone to post that Southern Rock is okay but Northern Rock is smarter, more cultured and has access to better healthcare.
I liked Jacksonville. Great area, St Augustine is wonderful. Never been to the other.

They would be correct. Boston's (the Band) main guy was an engineer and MIT grad. He worked full time before fame with a great health plan and bennies.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:26 AM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
UBS and NASDAQ are in Shelton now. But like many escaping NYC are ending up outside FFLD county, perhaps some offices might too. Certainly cheaper, and maybe enjoy a reverse commute.
Nasdaq was actually founded in Trumbull. They still have a major facility there along with offices in Shelton. Jay

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/new...ts-1319093.php

Old 07-21-2020, 11:48 AM

332 posts, read 217,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Major companies usually look at quality of life over low taxes. I highly doubt a New York City company would even consider a small quiet southern town like Gainesville to relocate to. It does not offer much in the way of culture and it is pretty far from major transportation. And while University of Florida ranks higher than UConn, it does not rank anywhere near Connecticut’s other major university, Yale. It’s one of the very top schools in the country if not the world. Add in that Connecticut public schools always rank at or near the top and healthcare here is among the best in the country with a Top 20 hospital, Yale New Haven Hospital. Gainesville does not offer anything close to any of these. Jay
Gainesville is NOT a small quiet southern town.

Gainesville: 134,000 population +7.8%

Bridgeport (CT's largest city): 144,000 population +0.1%

Gainesville will likely surpass CT's largest city within 5-10 years.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:32 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
Quote:
Nasdaq was actually founded in Trumbull. They still have a major facility there along with offices in Shelton. Jay

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/new...ts-1319093.php

I had no idea Nasdaq was in Trumbull until I moved here. I have been in Trumbull over 20 years now.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:41 PM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObedientSir View Post
Gainesville is NOT a small quiet southern town.

Gainesville: 134,000 population +7.8%

Bridgeport (CT's largest city): 144,000 population +0.1%

Gainesville will likely surpass CT's largest city within 5-10 years.
Oh come on now, I have been to Gainesville. It is NOT a major city by any stretch of the imagination. It may have 134,000 people but that is spread across 65 Square miles so it’s not very dense or urban. That density is more along the lines of Fairfield which is very suburban.

Also note that Metro Gainsville has a population of 282,000 people which makes it the 168th largest metropolitan area in the country. Metro Bridgeport has more than three times that with 939,000 people. It is the 57th largest.

Bridgeport is part of the greater New York City metropolitan area. There’s so much near by. It is on the nations busiest corridor, northeast corridor with train and commuter rail service. Gainesville is located 71 miles from Jacksonville and 115 miles from Orlando. There not much in between and limited access to mass transit.

I will say that I doubt major New York companies are going to relocate to Bridgeport but many have to its suburbs including Fairfield, Trumbull and Shelton. Those suburbs and others in a Fairfield County are among the most admired and desirable in the country. That is a BIG difference from Alachua County where Gainesville is located. Jay

Old 07-21-2020, 01:07 PM

332 posts, read 217,895 times
Quote:
Oh come on now, I have been to Gainesville. It is NOT a major city by any stretch of the imagination. It may have 134,000 people but that is spread across 65 Square miles so it’s not very dense or urban. That density is more along the lines of Fairfield which is very suburban.

Also note that Metro Gainsville has a population of 282,000 people which makes it the 168th largest metropolitan area in the country. Metro Bridgeport has more than three times that with 939,000 people. It is the 57th largest.

Bridgeport is part of the greater New York City metropolitan area. There’s so much near by. It is on the nations busiest corridor, northeast corridor with train and commuter rail service. Gainesville is located 71 miles from Jacksonville and 115 miles from Orlando. There not much in between and limited access to mass transit.

I will say that I doubt major New York companies are going to relocate to Bridgeport but many have to its suburbs including Fairfield, Trumbull and Shelton. Those suburbs and others in a Fairfield County are among the most admired and desirable in the country. That is a BIG difference from Alachua County where Gainesville is located. Jay
I never said it was a major city. It's not a small quiet southern town by any stretch of the imagination either. It's only the 15th most populous city in Florida. Florida has nine cities with 200+k people. CT has none. Also 939k for a metro is not that impressive. Florida's biggest metro (Miami metro) has 6.2 million people. The seventh largest in America.

Old 07-21-2020, 01:19 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObedientSir View Post
I think Gainesville Florida would be a good place for some of those businesses to move. It has low taxes. It's an emerging small city and it's home to the University of Florida, which is ranked as the 34th best university in America. By comparison, the University of Connecticut is ranked as the 64th best university in America.
That’s not going to happen. Why in the world would a company relocate to Gainesville when they have the option of greater Miami/Lauderdale/Palm Beach still with reasonable taxes and still more affordable than Manhattan? Gainesville, although I’ve never been, doesn’t seem like a hot area for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut