Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2020, 05:21 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,496,538 times

Advertisements

I will say me and my brothers did enjoy Hooters in Milford. Thursdays was all you can eat wings and with the variety of flavors we would go through 4-5 plates each. Swap out the flavors, and made sure they were naked (not breaded). Not sure if BWW offers something similar but we will have to check it out.

As for other places, went golfing the other day and figured we'd hit a brewery after. Unfortunately the one we stopped at was only doing curbside pickup which stunk. It's annoying that most of these places have not updated their fb pages or other contact detail online to advise on their procedures/process. I know it's not a big deal but having to constantly pick up the phone and call, or lookup places is somewhat of an annoyance. Also for the times I put on and take off the mask it feels like just some feeble attempt to appease gov't more than anything.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:10 AM

1,241 posts, read 902,829 times
What federal action was taken with regard to payment for care of coronavirus? I may have missed it but as far as I know many people are seeking treatment and still being saddled with enormous bills. I know testing is supposed to be free. Has there been a law making treatments the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
I disagree. Healthcare will be key. A significant number of people have lost their healthcare. There will be on-going health issues that are COVID-related that will need to be covered. If people do not have healthcare coverage many will not get treatment for fear of risking bankruptcy for their family. Also, employers who have let workers go will be reluctant to add back workers full-time and taking on the additional costs of healthcare as they try to rebuild their businesses.

Can you imagine what the outcome would have been if the testing and care related to this virus were not covered by federal action? Many more people would not have gotten treatment. The transmission would have likely been much worse. How many families could have handled the costs of ICU stays and dedicated staff for one or two people? Going forward insurance companies will be naturally looking for ways to eliminate taking on these types of risks or significantly adjusting premiums to cover it. A national healthcare plan will be essential to economic recovery.

Old 07-16-2020, 09:26 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
What federal action was taken with regard to payment for care of coronavirus? I may have missed it but as far as I know many people are seeking treatment and still being saddled with enormous bills. I know testing is supposed to be free. Has there been a law making treatments the same?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...bdb_story.html

The federal government backstopped the hospitals mostly for the uninsured. The IRS also made provisions regarding testing and for vaccines when they become available. CT incurred extensive costs and this continues to be an evolving area. In areas of the country where people have minimal insurance, the continuation of these programs will be essential in containing the virus. Private insurers are already looking for ways to protect themselves from the risk associated with this virus/others and reduce claim exposure. The costs are likely to be crushing, especially for people with certain underlying conditions or demographics without some federal assumption of risk/backstopping.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:00 AM

1,241 posts, read 902,829 times
The uninsured would have gone to an ER when they got sick anyways. Also how much actually went to the hospitals for this? That is a big mystery and I’m sure hospitals are millions as they always do. This did nothing to help the people who are insured through self funded employer plans who may be on the line for thousands or tens of thousands of dollars they can’t pay. I agree that a federal health insurance program would be great but there isn’t the political will for it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...bdb_story.html

The federal government backstopped the hospitals mostly for the uninsured. The IRS also made provisions regarding testing and for vaccines when they become available. CT incurred extensive costs and this continues to be an evolving area. In areas of the country where people have minimal insurance, the continuation of these programs will be essential in containing the virus. Private insurers are already looking for ways to protect themselves from the risk associated with this virus/others and reduce claim exposure. The costs are likely to be crushing, especially for people with certain underlying conditions or demographics without some federal assumption of risk/backstopping.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:59 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Connecticut released its June jobs report. The state added a record 73,300 jobs in June for an unemployment rate of 9.6%. That compares to a US rate of 11.1%. Not bad. Jay

https://www1.ctdol.state.ct.us/lmi/unemprateCTUS.asp

Old 07-16-2020, 02:09 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Connecticut released its June jobs report. The state added a record 73,300 jobs in June for an unemployment rate of 9.6%. That compares to a US rate of 11.1%. Not bad. Jay

Not to put down the report (because it is very good) but the last sentence of the report says they estimate the “actual” rate to be in the 16-17% range.

Not sure what it is worth but they even admit it might flawed. 5% is huge, let’s hope it is not that far off.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:12 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Unum Insurance company

I can see insurance companies in Hartford and financial firms in Stamford/Norwalk follow the suit

Not CT related but it close by

Employee benefits firm Unum, the first tenant to move into CitySquare in downtown Worcester, will be moving its roughly 400 employees to full-time remote work.

Kelly Spencer a spokeswoman for Unum confirmed the move on Thursday, noting that the company has been shrinking in recent years and no longer needs the physical office space.

Spencer said the decision was not a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

“The COVID-related shift to work from home confirmed our ability to do this,” Spencer told Masslive on Thursday. “Our employees have been preforming really well at home; they’re very engaged and doing great work.”

Unum is headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

https://www.masslive.com/news/2020/0...mote-work.html

Old 07-16-2020, 06:06 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

Ct Post did show same survey rate, but also indicated via quotes from DOL experts, its understated tremendously based on claims data.

Ct Labor Commissioner Kurt Westby also stated today they know 9.8% is false, as based solely on latest ui claims/state workforce, that would be 17% unemployed. Current Claims 300,000 Workforce about 1.8 million

https://www.ctpost.com/business/arti...e-15413083.php

Old 07-16-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Not to put down the report (because it is very good) but the last sentence of the report says they estimate the “actual” rate to be in the 16-17% range.

Not sure what it is worth but they even admit it might flawed. 5% is huge, let’s hope it is not that far off.
It is. I have relatives retired from DOL management, with friends still there with access to data. 300k claims presently, and big backlog not included. They can reduce backlog 3k per day.

To be at 9.6% with 300k claims takes a workforce of 3.125 million, which is 165% of Ct's.

Surveys at this extreme unemployment time are basically worthless data. Not the folks surveying at fault, just a bad method right now.

since 3-13, we were at 675,000 ui claims 2 weeks ago. Add 3k new ones to it, we will be at 720k by 7-31.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Unum Insurance company

I can see insurance companies in Hartford and financial firms in Stamford/Norwalk follow the suit

Not CT related but it close by

Employee benefits firm Unum, the first tenant to move into CitySquare in downtown Worcester, will be moving its roughly 400 employees to full-time remote work.

Kelly Spencer a spokeswoman for Unum confirmed the move on Thursday, noting that the company has been shrinking in recent years and no longer needs the physical office space.

Spencer said the decision was not a result of the coronavirus pandemic.

“The COVID-related shift to work from home confirmed our ability to do this,” Spencer told Masslive on Thursday. “Our employees have been preforming really well at home; they’re very engaged and doing great work.”

Unum is headquartered in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

https://www.masslive.com/news/2020/0...mote-work.html
great move. Ct will be less affected by wfh than NYC which will be crushed b i.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut