Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2016, 09:04 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

Wallethub has ranked the metropolitan areas with the most and least educated cities and Connecticut's major cities rank very high. The Bridgeport-Norwalk-Stamford area ranks 12th overall and is 6th in "Educational Attainment". Where they get hurt is in "Quality of Education and Attainment Gap" measurements. I can't believe that the quality of education is an issue in the area since it has some of the most desirable school systems in the country but then not surprisingly it has a very high racial gap.

Overall Hartford is ranked No. 20 and New Haven is No. 26. Here is a link to the rankings. Jay

https://wallethub.com/edu/most-and-l...#main-findings

Old 07-26-2016, 10:53 AM

It looks like closing loopholes in the Federal tax code slated for next year will result in a windfall for the state as well. Maybe this will help stabilize our state's finances. Just hope it does not chase any hedge funds from our state. Jay

Hedge fund earnings wash ashore | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 07-26-2016, 11:10 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It looks like closing loopholes in the Federal tax code slated for next year will result in a windfall for the state as well. Maybe this will help stabilize our state's finances. Just hope it does not chase any hedge funds from our state. Jay

Hedge fund earnings wash ashore | HartfordBusiness.com
I wouldn't count on this. These high worth people have smarter CPA's and lawyers working for them than the Govt does.

I'm sure they have been planning for this for years. Perhaps there will be a temporary spike in taxes, but don't expect that to last long.

FATCA https://www.irs.gov/businesses/corpo...or-individuals

has already been in place since 2014 I think. I do not think FATCA resulted in a tax collection spike, but I have not looked at the data.

To go a little bit off topic, CT actually has a hedge fund investigatory unit (under the Dept of Banking) which was created in 2006 in conjunction with Richard Blumenthal. To my knowledge CT hasn't done any thing significant with this unit. Seems odd to me since CT is home to a lot of hedge funds. Not to mention that CT is home of one of the best law schools in the country (Yale) Makes you wonder what is going on behind the scenes.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB116044959813487775

Last edited by MrGompers; 07-26-2016 at 11:19 AM..

Old 07-26-2016, 11:33 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I wouldn't count on this. These high worth people have smarter CPA's and lawyers working for them than the Govt does.

I'm sure they have been planning for this for years. Perhaps there will be a temporary spike in taxes, but don't expect that to last long.

FATCA https://www.irs.gov/businesses/corpo...or-individuals

has already been in place since 2014 I think. I do not think FATCA resulted in a tax collection spike, but I have not looked at the data.

To go a little bit off topic, CT actually has a hedge fund investigatory unit (under the Dept of Banking) which was created in 2006 in conjunction with Richard Blumenthal. To my knowledge CT hasn't done any thing significant with this unit. Seems odd to me since CT is home to a lot of hedge funds. Not to mention that CT is home of one of the best law schools in the country (Yale) Makes you wonder what is going on behind the scenes.

Connecticut Steps Up Hedge-Fund Oversight - WSJ
The large hedge funds are regulated by the SEC, not the DoB. Absent an allegation of fraud, the DoB has no jurisdiction over them. And even then, they tend to defer to the feds. Which is why you haven't heard much about this unit.

IME, FATCA is nothing but tremendous waste of time and resources, except for tax lawyers and accountants.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:51 AM

Interesting article on one of Connecticut's wealthiest companies, Bridgewater, and its inner workings. I knew thing there were sort of secretive but I thought that was standard practice in the industry. It will be interesting to see what happens with this. Jay

At World

Old 07-27-2016, 12:34 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,946,366 times
Quote:
Interesting article on one of Connecticut's wealthiest companies, Bridgewater, and its inner workings. I knew thing there were sort of secretive but I thought that was standard practice in the industry. It will be interesting to see what happens with this. Jay

At World
Bridgewater is sometimes compared to a cult, as its corporate culture is very unique. I would say it is not representative of the hedge fund industry. But I've know people who absolutely love it there and thrive, and others who couldn't wait to get out. Kind of a love it or hate it type of place. Its definitely not for everyone.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:41 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:

At World

Look up Bridge water on glassdoor.com and you'll find out all you need to know about this company. One big red flag is they require all employees to sign a binding arbitration clause to settle employment issues (ie one can not sue them in a court of law)

I read most of the article and I hope the complainant in the story plans on changing careers, because he will be blacklisted forever from the industry.

I'm surprised the harassment lasted for a year. He could have shut it down (aggressively) or perhaps used it as blackmail against the harasser. Not that I would condone that, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:30 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:

At World
How I get at job Bridgewater and what they do

Old 07-27-2016, 04:32 PM

370 posts, read 608,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
How I get at job Bridgewater and what they do
They build bridges over water

Old 07-27-2016, 04:39 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
Quote:

At World
Which part? The critical transparency or the sexual harassment? 1- no, 2- yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut