Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 08:44 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,399,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
So much for the freedom of driving . This is getting out of hand. How would they "track" how many miles you would drive? Just take the device out of your car? I can guarantee you the constitutionalists will be screaming out of their heads for this one.

I find it unfair how out of state drivers get a free drive while we have to pay to use our OWN roads. It makes no sense to me. Just because they don't live here doesn't grant them certain privileges. It should be the other way around. Tolls would be the most profitable because EVERYONE is paying. Elimate the car tax and do tolls. $1 for the in state residents, $4 for out of state drivers, and $5 for trucks. It's perfect because out of state drivers have no choice but to go through CT to head into New England. This could end up being around $400 million dollars a year just from tolls. Heck elect me governor...I can fix this LOL.

Would it be possible to create the Connecticut Toll Police? Have 10 people guard all the toll stations and if someone doesn't pay up then enforce it, pull them over, and give them a ticket for not paying the toll. Sounds like a good idea to me in order to elimate abuse.
They pay at the pump

Old 07-19-2016, 08:50 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
" I find it unfair how out of state drivers get a free drive while we have to pay to use our OWN roads. It makes no sense to me. Just because they don't live here doesn't grant them certain privileges. It should be the other way around. Tolls would be the most profitable because EVERYONE is paying. Elimate the car tax and do tolls. $1 for the in state residents, $4 for out of state drivers, and $5 for trucks. It's perfect because out of state drivers have no choice but to go through CT to head into New England. This could end up being around $400 million dollars a year just from tolls. Heck elect me governor...I can fix this LOL."

Welcome to Connecticut we going tax the air you breathe next

Old 07-19-2016, 10:05 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,704,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
The income tax has been slowing increasing each year since its inception in 1991 on the poor and lower income bracket. This is because CT HAS NOT adjusted the exemptions upwards to account for inflation.

For example, the exemption for a single person in 1991 was $12,000 and is still that amount today in 2016.

If exemptions kept up with inflation it would be approx $18,750 for single filers today in 2016.

The personal property tax was also reduced from a max of $500 to $300 and can only be taken for one property item. Such as one house, one car, one motorcycle, etc per taxpayer. If you're married you can take two credits but still only to the max of $300 in total.

Nearly no one knows this and I doubt poor people have any legislators waiting to take their calls on this issue.

Saying that taxes should increase on the poor is incredibly wrong and cold hearted.
Anyone making $10K or less pays only 3% or 3.5% then jumps to 5%. Sliding it up .5% and sliding down the $10K to $50K .5% will be a fair balance

Old 07-20-2016, 04:09 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,208,951 times
You gotta be careful with tolls.

1- You can call them "cucumber", they are still basically a tax, a new source of revenue for CT politicians who are notorious for squandering, abuse, mis-management.

2- Tolls may start $ 1, but it will go up from there.

3- Businesses already hate and are leaving CT -- you're just adding another reason to leave.

4- Tolls may work better where you have public transportation options. CT doesn't, so taxing a captive audience guarantees backfire.

5- For you liberals out there -- tolls are very regressive taxation. Middle and Lower middle class will shoulder the most burden. The rich won't feel it, but it's them who we are after, aren't we?

Old 07-20-2016, 07:15 AM

I be cool with tolls if the State did away with income or sales or both taxes in the State
Be great if all CT had for taxes was
Tolls
Gas
Car Tax figured by the State
Capped property taxes at 50%
Flat corporate tax
Towns/cities have a school tax

Old 07-20-2016, 07:57 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,661 times
Tolls if state removes vehicle and income tax. Otherwise shove it. Properly manage the very generous amount of money you already have.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:31 AM

State definitely needs to do away with income tax; hasn't done much for the past two decades.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:57 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Before everybody gets too worked up about this, it is only a study. It does not mean anything yet. It is likely if this does go forward, the gas taxes will be reduced or dare I say eliminated.

As I have noted MANY times here, the Connecticut Highway Trust fund is on track to go broke in several years. The gas tax, which are a fixed amount not a percentage, have not been increased in decades now. Between that, automobile efficiency increases and inflation, the buying power of the taxes generated for highway construction has decreased significantly. On top of that the need for roadway improvements to even just maintain our highways in decent shape has gotten even more demanding. The state has to figure out a way to pay for this. New Jersey is considering increasing their gas tax by 27 cents. There is no easy answer to this but it likely involves us having to pay more either way. Jay

Old 07-20-2016, 09:00 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,970,098 times
It looks like a major egg producer is about to make a $60 to $70 million investment in eastern Connecticut that will add about 65 jobs. Does not sound like a lot but still in that part of the state it is pretty good. Also note that they could have gone to a nearby state with this but chose to do this here. Good news. Jay

Egg producer investing $60M-$70M in CT | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 07-20-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Before everybody gets too worked up about this, it is only a study. It does not mean anything yet. It is likely if this does go forward, the gas taxes will be reduced or dare I say eliminated.

As I have noted MANY times here, the Connecticut Highway Trust fund is on track to go broke in several years. The gas tax, which are a fixed amount not a percentage, have not been increased in decades now. Between that, automobile efficiency increases and inflation, the buying power of the taxes generated for highway construction has decreased significantly. On top of that the need for roadway improvements to even just maintain our highways in decent shape has gotten even more demanding. The state has to figure out a way to pay for this. New Jersey is considering increasing their gas tax by 27 cents. There is no easy answer to this but it likely involves us having to pay more either way. Jay
More taxes or new taxes is not the answer. State needs to better manage their money it's not our issue.

I don't support the Republicans but voting red this Election except for President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut