Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2016, 06:50 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,018,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Social security is NOT like welfare. It is a program workers pay for and serves as gaurentteed income for senior, disabled, widows and their children. Be real. Jay
When you pay into social security the benefit is skewed mainly to the lower income retirees. Social Security redistributes income from rich to poor and it regulates how you can save for your retirement.

That makes it welfare and it makes it wrong. Social Security hurts people

Old 09-25-2016, 09:00 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,425,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Social security is NOT like welfare. It is a program workers pay for and serves as gaurentteed income for senior, disabled, widows and their children. Be real. Jay
Talk about getting real .... if you paid into Social Security at the maximum rate from age 21 to age 65 , you would get all your money back by age 71... after that ...its not your money...youre getting a redistribution ... ie ..of tax revenue from the government... otherwise called welfare.
The average age of Americans at their passing is currently 82... longer for whites ... shorter for blacks...

Old 09-25-2016, 12:38 PM

752 posts, read 554,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic1 View Post
Talk about getting real .... if you paid into Social Security at the maximum rate from age 21 to age 65 , you would get all your money back by age 71... after that ...its not your money...youre getting a redistribution ... ie ..of tax revenue from the government... otherwise called welfare.
The average age of Americans at their passing is currently 82... longer for whites ... shorter for blacks...
Lol. So now Social Security is welfare. My parents get welfare.

Hilarious.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:44 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,088,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMilford View Post
Lol. So now Social Security is welfare. My parents get welfare.

Hilarious.
It is a transfer payment from the current payers of Soc Sec to them. So, like welfare.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
It is a transfer payment from the current payers of Soc Sec to them. So, like welfare.
Part of my taxes is a transfer payment to people in the military. So, like welfare?
Part of my taxes is a transfer payment to elected officials payroll. So, like welfare?
Part of my taxes is a transfer payment to those who are abusing disability benefits. So, like welfare?

SS is not means tested.
Payments are made to SS (You may not like the payments made, but they are made).

This whole line of thought is absurd and emblematic of how such much of our political discourse has gone off the deep end.

Old 09-25-2016, 03:50 PM

The comment referred to the op's statement that recipients paid for their social security benefits... and to a point thats true... but once they reach 71 years of age ... they have received all the monies they paid into the system. ...so that at that point they are being paid by active participants in the system thru their taxation ..why another poster referred to it as a Ponzi Scheme... and which is why the system is heading for insolvency.

The payments to the military and elected officials are compensation for services/ labor performed ... payments to those who abuse disability benefits are defrauding the welfare system.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:03 PM

I should have added that social security is in fact means tested ... in a back assed way ...since if you earn monies thru labor or investment returns ...over a certain amount ... you do have to add your social security payments to your other income when paying your federal income taxes.

Old 09-25-2016, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Part of my taxes is a transfer payment to people in the military. So, like welfare?
Part of my taxes is a transfer payment to elected officials payroll. So, like welfare?
Part of my taxes is a transfer payment to those who are abusing disability benefits. So, like welfare?

SS is not means tested.
Payments are made to SS (You may not like the payments made, but they are made).

This whole line of thought is absurd and emblematic of how such much of our political discourse has gone off the deep end.
SS is means tested. It is also taxed and the benefits are skewed to the poor.

It isn't optional its not like I have a choice to participate in an optional government program.

That makes it welfare

What is absurd is that people have come to believe that they are entitled to other people's money. They think that is part of their right to get free health care and free retirement from other people. It isn't what this country was founded on.

Do you think we fought WW2 or any other war for social security is that why people defend this country?? Apparently Jay does god bless that man!

Old 09-25-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post

What is absurd is that people have come to believe that they are entitled to other people's money.
I find it absurd that people think they can live in society and not have tax obligations to that society....

I think many people really would rather see children starve and the elderly in poverty if it meant they could have an additional 200 square feet on their home.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I find it absurd that people think they can live in society and not have tax obligations to that society....

I think many people really would rather see children starve and the elderly in poverty if it meant they could have an additional 200 square feet on their home.
But no one is starving in this country. People are obese especially those on food stamps they need to eat less understand?
Food Stamp Use Linked To Weight Gain, Study Finds

What you are trying to do is create a narrative of victim-hood that isn't accurate.

Can you at least be honest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut