Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2016, 09:17 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,210,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Actually, much of the slack in employment is due to the cutbacks in state and local government. And while CT has gained more mid-wage jobs as new jobs, things have recently turned around in the last year or so. It is important that CT is more entwined with international economy than most states, so the slow down in the EU especially has hampered good job growth.

I hope you stretched before that stunning performance at the Mental Gymnastics. To you, union = downward trend, facts be darned. Truth is that Unionisation rates are directly correlated with per-unit productivity rates, for a number of well researched reasons.
We can't debate if you can't comprehend or misrepresent. Re-read what I wrote about the unions. I spoke about apples, you thought grasshoppers. With all due respect -- are you pulling my chain here?

Also stating that CT is doing bad because of EU, -- this is strange. Are you serious, because I can't tell..

Old 09-29-2016, 11:10 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,189,053 times
Henry, I did misread you're bit about unions! Sorry about that, long day.

I didn't say that CT is doing bad because of issues with the EU, just that the slow down in Europe is affecting CT more than many other states would face, especially employment numbers.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:01 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
CT's wealth (FFC) was built as a bedroom community to NYC that offered a very good tax arbitrage opportunity. Then it built upon that by sprouting financial firms (Greenwich) insurance firms (Hartford) and other big firms (GE) which expanded the tax base. Over the years the state has chipped away at that tax advantage and the result has been a slow bleed. It still retains some of the advantage but nowhere near what it once was. So therefore talented individuals have other attractive options. The state still retains its natural beauty and proximity to large cultural centers so there always be an allure. But it could be so much more economically with simple smart policy.
Only southwestern Connecticut is a bedroom community for New York City. As a state Connecticut has more than held its own in finance, defense and other industries. Our defense industry was established nearly two centuries ago in Bridgeport (with companies like Sikorsky, Remington, etc.), Hartford (Colt, Pratt & Whitney, etc.) and New Haven (Winchester, Marlin, etc.). I believe Connecticut has so much defense because of its protected harbors on Long Island Sound that made it difficult for our enemies to attack by sea.

The insurance industry has been centered in Hartford for more than 150 years. This is why it is called the Insurance Capitol of the World. In comparison to New York, Connecticut is still a tax haven with significantly lower taxes and less regulation which is why we still see so many still coming here looking for information on our state. Jay

Old 09-30-2016, 01:26 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,457,946 times
Have to agree with Jay while CT has been helped by it's location between NY and Boston, it's not the only reason we have what we do. The insurance industry is very old Aetna was founded here as was The Hartford and Travelers all home grown CT companies. We have also been a center of precision manufacturing for years. From silk to arms alot was started here. We also had huge tobacco fields and a vibrant fishing industry at one point. CT was a fairly wealthy state even before we had NY'ers moving out of the city.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:05 PM

14,057 posts, read 13,953,593 times
CT budget closes in deficit again; little reserves left for this year | The CT Mirror

Connecticut closes out year with $170.4 million deficit

http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news...on-9517424.php

Old 09-30-2016, 06:38 PM

I'll post some good news -- http://www.courant.com/education/hc-...929-story.html

Old 10-01-2016, 08:42 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
It is good news that so many UConn graduates (78 percent) got jobs in our state. The census data saying millennials were leaving the state is a bit dated and I believe reflected the late impact the last recession had on our state. Jay

Old 10-01-2016, 12:18 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,490,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
It would be more meaningful if they would provide statistics on what types of jobs these are, like, "of the graduates that stayed, X went onto jobs in this or that sector." Would we still consider it good news if we found out a large majority of those students were employed in low-skilled jobs or part-time jobs? Not saying they are, but just making a point. My generation has become very skeptical about broad post-graduation statistics like this due to the law school crisis.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:33 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,231,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
It would be more meaningful if they would provide statistics on what types of jobs these are, like, "of the graduates that stayed, X went onto jobs in this or that sector." Would we still consider it good news if we found out a large majority of those students were employed in low-skilled jobs or part-time jobs? Not saying they are, but just making a point. My generation has become very skeptical about broad post-graduation statistics like this due to the law school crisis.
I'm skeptical, too, not because I'm a pessimist, but because this study doesn't seem to say anything about types of jobs or length the graduates typically stay employed there. Lots of grads take whatever jobs they can in the area their college is, then a few months or a year later, move back in with their parents or head to a major US city.

I'd be less skeptical of the findings if they talked to these out of state UCONN grads 3-5 years post graduation.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:54 PM

I doubt that recent grads found jobs in hotel housekeeping or cashiers at Walmart, no disrespect to housekeepers or cashiers. So why does it matter what kinds of jobs -- those are probably entry-level white collar jobs.

Article seems more of a marketing piece for Uconn than intent on showing CT's holding power of these alumni down the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut