Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2019, 05:41 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,088,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
Put it in this perspective. Say you live in West Hartford and between your home and your cars your property tax is $10,000 annual.

BUT, instead of your home taxes being buried in your mortgage payment, and your car tax paid once or twice per year, by law you had to pay the town of West Hartford daily by check. You get up to to to work and before you leave and go buy your $4 coffee for your commute, you by law have to write a $38 and change check for the privilege to live in West Hartford.

You think....$38 per day? For WHAT?

You get your trash picked up the streets get plowed there is police and fire.

Most towns provide that for half or less.
Spot on post.

2nd perspective: To pay that same $38 in grocery sales tax, you must spend in a region with 9% sales tax rate, $430 per day at your local Kroger, Stop & Shop, or any other grocer. $3,000 a week on groceries offsets the HUGE Ct property taxes paid

How many here spend $3k per week on groceries?

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 10-03-2019 at 05:52 PM..

Old 10-03-2019, 06:07 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,980,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
And isn’t Virginia the state that charged over $46 for driving on one of its roads. I have not paid a toll in Connecticut since 1985 and from what it looks like it won’t be for a while either. And I don’t pay for state or local parks either.
Maybe you're thinking of the NJ Turnpike? That's crazy money.

Or are you thinking of I66 in VA where they had tolls for solo drivers in rush hour? I think they changed that.

You do pay a state park fee. We all do. It's on your registration.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:50 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post

Or are you thinking of I66 in VA where they had tolls for solo drivers in rush hour? I think they changed that.

That’s correct. It occurred once when the system was new and it was a fluke when they were ironing out the wrinkles. Of course, the media took advantage of it and screamed about it for weeks. It has not happened since.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:53 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post

I posted the link to the $46 toll. It was Virginia. They may have adjusted it but they have not removed the tolls or stopped charging more for certain hours of travel. And yes, Connecticut residents get free state park admission as part of our car registration. The point is Connecticut cars do not pay to park at state parks. Jay

Old 10-03-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
Put it in this perspective. Say you live in West Hartford and between your home and your cars your property tax is $10,000 annual.

BUT, instead of your home taxes being buried in your mortgage payment, and your car tax paid once or twice per year, by law you had to pay the town of West Hartford daily by check. You get up to to to work and before you leave and go buy your $4 coffee for your commute, you by law have to write a $38 and change check for the privilege to live in West Hartford.

You think....$38 per day? For WHAT?

You get your trash picked up the streets get plowed there is police and fire.

Most towns provide that for half or less.
You get a lot more than trash, plowing, police and fire for your local taxes. You get road maintenance, schools, libraries, planning and zoning, building inspection, parks, Senior and community center activities and social services. You may not think it is worth it to pay higher taxes in West Hartford and I don’t disagree with you, but obviously a lot of other people do not agree. Otherwise no one would buy there and we know that is not the case. Jay

Old 10-03-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman85 View Post
I think we are on par for services compared to other states, we just pay a lot more for them. In my opinion it’s the property taxes that are the real problem, I can’t believe how much I pay in property taxes for a modest home in a nice town. I understand the schools are good here, but other states have good schools as well with a more reasonable tax burden. The benefits of ct outweighs the cost for me, but I can understand how it could be an issue for some, especially those without roots here.
If you think our local taxes are high, look at taxes paid in Westchester or Nassau in New York or much of New Jersey. Also our local taxes are not out of line with taxes paid in Massachusetts or Rhode Island either. In fact they aren’t much more than comparable communities near major cities around the country. It’s only when you compare them to low cost unincorporated areas away from cities that you see big differences. Jay

Old 10-03-2019, 07:18 PM

When we were not amongst the most highly taxed, we still got all the same services.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
If you think our local taxes are high, look at taxes paid in Westchester or Nassau in New York or much of New Jersey.
That is the mindset that harms us. To compare Ct to 2 other states losing residents in net state-state migration is like saying the Mets had a great year, since the Marlins were far worse. Our manager was properly fired.

If we are conceding we can't compete vs the entire 50 states, at least we are being honest.

Old 10-03-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Connecticut is a beautiful state. It has proximity to NYC and used to have low taxes relative to its neighbors in NJ and NY. Now, because of democrat politicians elected by citizens, it has no tax advantage to living there.

Connecticut is a dying state. anyone who doesn't see that isn't looking.

I had a house in Connecticut for 10 years and moved due to writing on the wall of tax, tax, tax citizens. My former Fairfield county neighborhood real estate prices have fallen 30-35% since we sold our home a few years ago and are still falling.
What town is that? I am not aware of any town that have prices have dropped 30% to 35%. Jay

Old 10-03-2019, 08:29 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,980,255 times
Quote:
The point is Connecticut cars do not pay to park at state parks. Jay
????

Yes, you do. It's a line item on your registration. You don't pay at the park, but you pay nonetheless. EVEN IF YOU NEVER GO TO A PARK, you are still paying.

We never paid park admission, what we paid was always for parking.

Ones of the best taxes ever, they get us even if we don't use a park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut