Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2021, 06:22 PM

6,906 posts, read 3,746,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Ct needs to do a deep dive to figure out some new gateways to prosperity besides NYC finance & insurance. I like shipping, commerical harbors, & boat/ship building.
We have harbors that support superyachts, and...we build nucleur subs. A good start. Would love to see them open up a Sea-Vee or Contender factory like FL. I'd be like a kid in a candy store

Old 09-16-2021, 06:46 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
You may be right, but it's not too late. Ct needs to do a deep dive to figure out some new gateways to prosperity besides NYC finance & insurance. I like shipping, commerical harbors, & boat/ship building.

Maybe some LNG terminals where shipped liquid natural gas is converted into usable forms.
I like your ideas. Finance and insurance are niche industries. We have a workforce of close to around 1.6 million.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:56 PM

Nation on pace to add back covid job losses in 9 months, Ct on pace to do in 21 months.

https://www.cbia.com/news/media-rele...oyment-report/

7.2% unemployment rate. Gets harder every month to find below info w/o a paywall at every newspaper.

http://www1.ctdol.state.ct.us/lmi/laborsit.pdf

Old 09-17-2021, 05:07 AM

25,736 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Nation on pace to add back covid job losses in 9 months, Ct on pace to do in 21 months.

https://www.cbia.com/news/media-rele...oyment-report/

7.2% unemployment rate. Gets harder every month to find below info w/o a paywall at every newspaper.

http://www1.ctdol.state.ct.us/lmi/laborsit.pdf
I noticed the same thing. I also notice the Internet's content has become very biased. I find mysef increasingly going to state & federal gov't web sites to find data.

Maybe CT could become an unbiased neutral state in the U.S., like Switzerland is to Europe. I wonder if there'd be anyway for a state to monetize that? Maybe being the most Cryptocurrency-friendly state, & becoming the U.S. hub for it?

I think CT's coastline is underutilized. The commercical fisherman always struggle to survive, so maybe farming saltwater fish? I see a few oyster farms, but that is a niche product.

Old 09-17-2021, 05:36 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnho771 View Post
CT has many tech companies especially given its small size. Some include Otis, Stanley B&D, Electric Boat, Xerox, Frontier Communications, SS&C Technologies. Amazon is also continuing to grow its footprint in Connecticut which will only bring more techies.

And while CT may not have many tech Universities itself, with institutions like MIT and WPI nearby, there are many places to draw talent from.
I will respectfully disagree. Most of those companies may offer tech jobs but they for the most part are not tech companies. And I believe Amazon's presence is geared towards distribution and warehousing. Yes, some tech jobs but not the volume that Amazon has in other places.

Places like Boston, Bay Area, San Diego, Austin, New York, Pittsburgh all foster innovation through cooperation between universities and entrepreneurs in the area. What motivation does an MIT grad have to move to Hartford to start a high tech firm where there is a limited infrastructure of like minded individuals, corporations, institutions of higher learning, and government coordinating them?

Old 09-17-2021, 11:10 AM

752 posts, read 553,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I will respectfully disagree. Most of those companies may offer tech jobs but they for the most part are not tech companies. And I believe Amazon's presence is geared towards distribution and warehousing. Yes, some tech jobs but not the volume that Amazon has in other places.

Places like Boston, Bay Area, San Diego, Austin, New York, Pittsburgh all foster innovation through cooperation between universities and entrepreneurs in the area. What motivation does an MIT grad have to move to Hartford to start a high tech firm where there is a limited infrastructure of like minded individuals, corporations, institutions of higher learning, and government coordinating them?
This is absolutely correct and the last decade of programs like CT-Next have proven as much.

The list of companies are not tech companies-- The types of tech companies that top new grads want to work for are the Silicon Valley Companies. No one from MIT is dreaming of a career at Stanley Tools-- as great of a Connecticut Company as that is.

The state and local entrepreneurs have tried to start a serious tech echo system here. There's been some activity and some success-- But you could fit the whole CT tech scene in one WeWork location in Austin.

We're just not built for it.

However, where we have seen some strong economic development is in biotech and pharma...

Old 09-17-2021, 03:17 PM

Milford mall tenants per article- will not remain w/o immediate action to get all votes passed, and transform the mall.

https://patch.com/connecticut/milfor...b97zCYN9CPvJJs

Old 09-17-2021, 09:52 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
We have harbors that support superyachts, and...we build nucleur subs. A good start. Would love to see them open up a Sea-Vee or Contender factory like FL. I'd be like a kid in a candy store
In my time in even the wealthiest Fairfield County communities, which was about 30 years, I’ve seen only a few “superyachts”, which were in downtown Greenwich. As an avid boater, they weren’t common anywhere on the shoreline from Darien to New London.

Old 09-18-2021, 05:45 AM

6,906 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
In my time in even the wealthiest Fairfield County communities, which was about 30 years, I’ve seen only a few “superyachts”, which were in downtown Greenwich. As an avid boater, they weren’t common anywhere on the shoreline from Darien to New London.
Yeah I don't know what the protocols were back then. I can only talk for the last couple of seasons.
These are the two larger regulars.

North Star
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...sel:NORTH_STAR

Chanson
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...20COVE%2C%20US.

If I could figure out how to post pics here I'd be more than happy to cruise over there and take some. It's not far. I could just blast in there around the islands through Middle Passage and avoid the long no wake zone channel at the power plant.

Old 09-18-2021, 06:22 AM

25,736 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
You can't foster a tech sector without tech universities and at least a couple of existing tech companies who chose CT for whatever reason.
Most of the universities there now are way too costly to reach the bottom 60%. Many are living paycheck to paycheck, & they can't take on the amount of student debt universities entail. Tech training is needed, but it doesn't need to be in a University setting.

Tech companies can be attracted by tax incentives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut